Sold my Xbox-one and bought a PS4

Why XBox1 sucks, all the reasons why I still have a 360. And will never buy a Xbox1

1) It is 2014. No Dolby surround support. Really? No HDMI support. Unforgivable omission. Even a $150 13" Acer Chromebook has 1080 HDMI. A video game device does not???
2) The cost of paying M$ to play online. $50 to $60 a year. It is beyond ridiculous.
3) The wireless controllers are not rechargeable out of the box. The cables you pay extra for are buggy, as the internet is filled with people complaining about it.
4) YOU CANNOT RESELL THE GAMES. No excuse for this. And this should be illegal. It makes no sense other than M$ - again - seeing their customers as nothing more than a rube to extract as much money as possible from.
5) Paywall. You have to pay Microsoft to access everything and anything that uses the internet. Don't have the money for XBox Live right now - well sucks to be you - you can't watch Netflix either. XBox 360 does not have the paywall.
6) Cheap RAM. XBox1 uses older GDDR3 processors, which is not a problem now. But absolutely limits future abilities for game developers. It should be using the most proven updated hardware that exist when making them.
7) The hard drive is not replaceable. Not only is it small (500GB) - but when it fails - you cannot replace it.
8) It is PRIMARILY designed as a media device OVER a video game device. And it does it poorly. A simple Roku3 is faster, more options, more channels and no bugs. Plus the XBox one reserves a full 10% of it's total memory to operate a connect device - EVEN if you are not using it.

Just bought my son the Alienware Alpha, best of both worlds console and PC

Alienware Alpha review - CNET

Interesting.
1) No $50-$60 per year subscription for playing your own games.
2) Full Steam compatibility.
3) HDMI (laughably absent on XBox1)
4) Games cost about 70% less than XBox games - ok that is HUGE.
5) Games are portable.
6) Hook up a keyboard and mouse, and it is a complete PC. Exactly like a regular PC
7) Dolby Surround out of the box. (also laughably absent in XBox)
8) GDDR5 instead of waay outdated GDDR3 in Xbox1. Even though these are inferior when compared to a full on gaming PC - but they are much cheaper.

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT
Just bought my son the Alienware Alpha, best of both worlds console and PC

Alienware Alpha review - CNET

Interesting.
1) No $50-$60 per year subscription for playing your own games.
2) Full Steam compatibility.
3) HDMI (laughably absent on XBox1)
4) Games cost about 70% less than XBox games - ok that is HUGE.
5) Games are portable.
6) Hook up a keyboard and mouse, and it is a complete PC. Exactly like a regular PC
7) Dolby Surround out of the box. (also laughably absent in XBox)
8) GDDR5 instead of waay outdated GDDR3 in Xbox1. Even though these are inferior when compared to a full on gaming PC - but they are much cheaper.
A little more expensive than a console but worth it,

On the contrary, it is a lot cheaper.
Xbox with 5 games cost to own in one year:
$400 console, 5x$65 (avg) = $325 + $60 Xbox Live = $785
Alien with 5 games:
$600 console, 5x$15 (avg) = $75, no subscription price = $675

I am not one of the PC master race because truthfully other then FPS they are way to expensive to keep up. Seems cheap at first except people never factor in a new Graphics card every other year that high end cost more then my console did. Thats not even factoring in monitors and new mouse and keyboard so it can be as responsive to the hardware you just paid a small fortune for. Yes you can get cheaper games Obviously which is a huge minus towards MS and PSN but truthfully I am more comfortable on my bed or couch playing a game then slumped over my computer desk. Now I of course own a PlayStation 4 because lets face it I dont like giving money to Microsoft if I can help it. They suck at giving the customer what they want only what they deem they need and most of the time there software just sucks.

I am not one of the PC master race because truthfully other then FPS they are way to expensive to keep up. Seems cheap at first except people never factor in a new Graphics card every other year that high end cost more then my console did. Thats not even factoring in monitors and new mouse and keyboard so it can be as responsive to the hardware you just paid a small fortune for. Yes you can get cheaper games Obviously which is a huge minus towards MS and PSN but truthfully I am more comfortable on my bed or couch playing a game then slumped over my computer desk. Now I of course own a PlayStation 4 because lets face it I dont like giving money to Microsoft if I can help it. They suck at giving the customer what they want only what they deem they need and most of the time there software just sucks.

I pretty much agree with everything you said here.
Which is why I am intrigued by the Alienware Alpha. It is a game console 1st, and oh by the way if you want - hook up a keyboard and mouse and it is a PC.
Like you, I am not a game master. I don't spaz out if I can't play with full AA, shadowing, 5120x2188 resolution at 60 FPS. Not paying $1500 to do that.
At the same time, I have a serious problem lining up to get ripped off because everyone is doing it. Paying M$ to play my own games and watch my own Netflix subscription and $70 for a game is not happening. I like buying used games, with XBox One - can't do that. Games are 0% transferable.
And I find it inexcusable to use outdated processors on a brand new device, no HDMI and no Dolby. Talk about getting ripped off.

F*ck Microsoft and their XBox "360 version 2".
It is an XBox 360 with a built in Roku for the most part.
WHen XBox came out I said M$ would takeover the console market and halt innovation in the entire industry. And whalaa - THIRTEEN years later and the entire video game industry has changed very little all this time. Except now you have to pay Microsoft to play the games online, pay Microsoft a tax to download mappacks and upgrades. And just like M$ - video game makers learned that you don't need to develop new technology or new games - just rehash the same games, basically make a few map packs and call it "Call of Duty 2, 3, 4 or 5".
Games are waaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced, absurd to pay $50-$70 for 3-4 hour campaigns and buggy multiplayer maps that are little more than a small arena for people to shoot each other all day. Yippee.
Who knows how awesome video game consoles would be now if XBox never came along.
thats a lot of hate for no reason.

The changes in the gaming industry (and there have been a LOT of changes in the last decade) have not been halted by Microsoft at all. I have no idea where you get that from.

They have pushed the computing power further than ever with the constant war between them and Sony for the 'best' system. The monetization scheme changes have nothing to do with Microsoft at all and everything to do with the changing technology.

Different gaming dynamic altogether.

I enjoy FPS, some Bethsada games and RTS and NONE of those are worth a damn on a console. That pretty much ingrains me to computer gaming.

The changes in the gaming industry (and there have been a LOT of changes in the last decade) have not been halted by Microsoft at all. I have no idea where you get that from.

They have pushed the computing power further than ever with the constant war between them and Sony for the 'best' system. The monetization scheme changes have nothing to do with Microsoft at all and everything to do with the changing technology.

I was talking about the console industry. The changes in the industry have been mostly non-console with the exception of the Wii - which failed.
The war with Sony??? Only exist in the minds of players.
No different than the perceived "Beer Wars" between Bud/Miller/Coors drinkers. There is no difference, they are all the same damn product.
In a real war - innovation would be key. Each would desperately be trying to make a beter product. The "war" is the games. Each trying to have a killer game the other does not. That is the only war.
The Xbox device in THIRTEEN years has changed very little. And from 2005 to 2013 - it did not change at all. The same device.

I think you can buy used Xbox one games. Microsoft backed off the drm bullshit.

Looks like your right. Just read about it on legit sites.
Seems like an obvious decision. Could have been another "Windows 8" fumble.
Not enough for me though...I am very interested in this Alien device.
Games at $15, no M$ tax...HDMI...why buy an Xbox?

I was talking about the console industry. The changes in the industry have been mostly non-console with the exception of the Wii - which failed.
The war with Sony??? Only exist in the minds of players.
No different than the perceived "Beer Wars" between Bud/Miller/Coors drinkers. There is no difference, they are all the same damn product.
In a real war - innovation would be key. Each would desperately be trying to make a beter product. The "war" is the games. Each trying to have a killer game the other does not. That is the only war.
The Xbox device in THIRTEEN years has changed very little. And from 2005 to 2013 - it did not change at all. The same device.
It changed a ton.

If you understand the architecture that actually goes into the machine you would know that there are rather huge computing differences in the two generations as well as outright capability. The camera on the Xbox is an engineering feat all in of itself to ship such a cheap item that can fully understand the room it is in and identify the people sitting in the front of the console. And Sony is in very tough competition with Xbox. It really is no longer about games - that is exactly how it USED to be. Now, however, almost all games are multi-platform meaning the consoles must compete directly with each other. Back when it was about the games - THAT is when you could build the same machine and not care because the games got you the sales. The few titles that are exclusive are really losing their steam. It used to be that people would purchase a play station just so they could access squaresoft titles of an Xbox for Halo. Halo no longer has the draw that it used to and square-enix is multi platform now.

If you really think that the consoles have not moved forward then you have not bothered to really give them a chance. Microsoft is actually innovating in the console department. Just wish they could manage that with computers....

Kinnect? Pheh...people rave on about voice command ability without thinking about the fact you don't need a camera device for that.
I have read/watched reviews and forums extensively on X1 and Kinnect. Right now people are saying they like it when using Netflix etc. - but over and over and over people say there is no real use in games and don't see how it will.
The next big thing in gaming has already started - immersion. Full immersion. And Kinnect has no value to add whatsoever in that. The headset/touch sensing devices etc. will pass up Kinnect and leave it in the dust where it has never really left.
Immersion/virtual gaming is the next generation. I don't think anyone really doubts that.
M$ and innovation? Sorry but that is laughable. The X1 doesn't even have HDMI support. Doesn't have Dolby surround. And is using a processor that is two generations old. Yeah...that's innovation. A 500GB Hard drive that is not replaceable or upgradable - innovation. The PS4 has 50% more processing power. The X1 reserves 10% of it's memory for Kinnect - even if you don't have it hooked up. That means the PS4 actually has 60% more power. Innovation.
Truth is the X1 is outdated already. Which is no surprise, and why it's release was so underwhelming. Innovation.:doubt:

Forum List

Back