Solar + Wind = 74% of New US Electricity Capacity January–May 2015 (Exclusive)

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Solar Wind 74 of New US Electricity Capacity January May 2015 Exclusive CleanTechnica

Wind power and solar power are increasingly the most cost-competitive options for new electricity generation, and the installation numbers for the first 5 months of 2015 are just another way of showing that.

Based on data from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and SEIA/GTM Research, I’ve just produced my latest CleanTechnica report on the US electricity generation capacity market. The biggest highlight, as you can see in the title, is that 74% of new US electricity generation capacity added in January–May of 2015 came from wind and solar power. Renewables as a whole accounted for 75% of new electricity generation capacity.

In May 2015, renewables (entirely solar and wind power) accounted for 49% of new electricity generation capacity, down a bit fro previous months due to a large influx of new natural gas power capacity.

While solar and wind are rocking it in 2015, it’s important to note that they still just represent 7.6% of all US electricity generation capacity, and their percentage of electricity generation is even lower (report forthcoming now published). Overall, all renewables now account for 18% of US electricity generation capacity.

Wind and solar are winners!!!

• Banned
US-Renewable-Energy-Capacity-May-2015.jpg

No coal in May, No coal in 2015!!!! It is either renewables or natural gas...Why are solar and wind doing so good? They're now the cheapest and most economic sources of energy.

Last edited:
Solar Wind 74 of New US Electricity Capacity January May 2015 Exclusive CleanTechnica

Wind power and solar power are increasingly the most cost-competitive options for new electricity generation, and the installation numbers for the first 5 months of 2015 are just another way of showing that.

Based on data from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and SEIA/GTM Research, I’ve just produced my latest CleanTechnica report on the US electricity generation capacity market. The biggest highlight, as you can see in the title, is that 74% of new US electricity generation capacity added in January–May of 2015 came from wind and solar power. Renewables as a whole accounted for 75% of new electricity generation capacity.

In May 2015, renewables (entirely solar and wind power) accounted for 49% of new electricity generation capacity, down a bit fro previous months due to a large influx of new natural gas power capacity.

While solar and wind are rocking it in 2015, it’s important to note that they still just represent 7.6% of all US electricity generation capacity, and their percentage of electricity generation is even lower (report forthcoming now published). Overall, all renewables now account for 18% of US electricity generation capacity.

It's awesome when we subsidize unreliable, more expensive energy!

US-Renewable-Energy-Capacity-May-2015.jpg

No coal in May, No coal in 2015!!!! It is either renewables or natural gas...Why are solar and wind doing so good? They're now the cheapest and most economic sources of energy.

They're now the cheapest and most economic sources of energy.

That's hilarious!

...probably that's why I lost my shirt on solar investments…

• Banned

...probably that's why I lost my shirt on solar investments…

Well, since coal is 0 mw this year...I certainly wouldn't go there. ;) Natural gas or wind maybe good replacements.

Better stock up on cats.

Rub two of 'em together and you'll generate static electricity to ruin your tablet some night when de wind he don' blow.
Thanks… I like the idea. Also you can pedal a stationary bicycle with a small generator instead of the rear wheel...

Forum List

Back