Solar rooftop bubble, when will it burst?

When the petrodollar standard collapses and hyperinflated $USDs from foreign reserve banks replace the import flow of oil, domestically produced alternate energy -- as long as it's traded in dollars -- will become the most economically efficient and primary source of energy for Americans. At least that's what I hope the plan is.

No, fool. When one can produce electricity via solar, wind or from sauteing chicken feathers in lard at a price that competes with oil, gas and coal fired generators, someone will get very wealthy. Until then, the only way alternative energy can compete is with massive government subsidies.

As EV's become more common, demand for solar roofs will increase dramatically. For with an EV you have a home battery system. In case of a power outage you could power the absolutely neccessary functions in your home for a long period with kwh's in a automotive battery. Not only this, you could recharge on a daily basis with the solar panels.

Solar panels are becoming cheaper on a daily basis and more efficient, also. There is coming a time when one cannot afford not to have solar if your home has the right roof configuration for it.

?????

Which "absolutely necessary functions" could be powered by an automotive battery, and what is "a long period?" Also, please clue us into how effective a rooftop solar array would be at charging an EV battery. Have you actually seen this system implemented?
Ask him if he's seen any o' those solar-bears!!!!

529.gif

So is that the extent of your knowledge on the subject?

As EV's become more common, demand for solar roofs will increase dramatically. For with an EV you have a home battery system. In case of a power outage you could power the absolutely neccessary functions in your home for a long period with kwh's in a automotive battery. Not only this, you could recharge on a daily basis with the solar panels.

Solar panels are becoming cheaper on a daily basis and more efficient, also. There is coming a time when one cannot afford not to have solar if your home has the right roof configuration for it.

I agree that there will likely come a time when it would be prudent to use some form of alternative energy. (I'm working on my fried chicken feathers proposal)
It may be solar panels. It may be algae.
BUT, that time is not now.

I agree that there will likely come a time when it would be prudent to use some form of alternative energy. (I'm working on my fried chicken feathers proposal)
It may be solar panels. It may be algae.
BUT, that time is not now.

It may be solar panels and it may be now. It isn't the current government picked versions though.

German rooftop solar price *averages* less than $4 per watt | Grist

http://eetd.lbl.gov/ea/ems/reports/lbnl-4121e.pdf

This is why Republicans will ruin this country. They have no understanding of neither Economics nor Science.

New Rooftop Solar To Be Germany's Largest | EarthTechling

http://www.gaccny.com/fileadmin/ahk...ting/Greenteam/Thomas_Chrometzka_-_BSW_01.pdf

5 breakthroughs that will make solar power cheaper than coal | MNN - Mother Nature Network

The problem is you have this giant political party that is 90% white and spends far too much time trying to limit education in this country. They don't know anything are are proud of that fact. In fact, they believe "ignorance" gives them both "insight and strength".

Republicans prefer teachers who still teach basics. Seems liberals are the ones who pushed for outcome based education. People can be educated, but not smart. All depends on what crap their heads are filled with. I like seeing children taught facts, not indoctrinated by some teachers slanted opinions.

If liberals are so great with science and business, I guess that means Solyndra is still a booming business that didn't waste a half billion dollars. Liberals know how to launder money, I'll give them that much.

The minute government starts subsidizing anything, the prognosis is grim.

Last edited:

The Chevy Volt's 240 volt charging system draws 3,300 watts and takes about 4 hours to charge up the battery pack
You're talking bare minimum $2,500 for panels and another $1,500 for a 240 volt inverter, batteries and control circuitry plus another 5 grand in labor to install it all, to supply electricity to only charge the :lol:"car" :lol:
It will take years to recoup your investment, but, I guess if you feel all warm and fuzzy about the environment, it may be worth it to you. All the more gas I can burn in my 6.8 liter pick-up.

Can we only subsidize big oil, or is it alright to subsidize alternative so they can work on improving it? Must we wait till rest of the world does it first?

Talk about shortsighted Pubs as usual. Greedy bastids too....LOL

Last edited:

This is why Republicans will ruin this country. They have no understanding of neither Economics nor Science.

http://www.gaccny.com/fileadmin/ahk...ting/Greenteam/Thomas_Chrometzka_-_BSW_01.pdf

5 breakthroughs that will make solar power cheaper than coal | MNN - Mother Nature Network

The problem is you have this giant political party that is 90% white and spends far too much time trying to limit education in this country. They don't know anything are are proud of that fact. In fact, they believe "ignorance" gives them both "insight and strength".

Bingo.

And their presidential candidates prove this every day.

Republicans prefer teachers who still teach basics. Seems liberals are the ones who pushed for outcome based education. People can be educated, but not smart. All depends on what crap their heads are filled with. I like seeing children taught facts, not indoctrinated by some teachers slanted opinions.

If liberals are so great with science and business, I guess that means Solyndra is still a booming business that didn't waste a half billion dollars. Liberals know how to launder money, I'll give them that much.

How is the interstate highway system doing?

Can we only subsidize big oil, or it alright to subsidize alternative so they can work on improving it? Must we wait till rest of the world does it first?

Talk about shortsighted Pubs as usual. Greedy bastids too....LOL

Do you actually think there are real "big oil" subsidies?

Bingo.

Ok, since Rdean has refused to answer, maybe you'd like to take a shot. Where can I get solar power for my home with a reasonable payback?

....Then, ya' got those folks who have a tendency to dabble in (what "conservatives" consider) The Dark Arts.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEdQRVQtffw&feature=fvw]Solar hydrogen home Michael Strizki - YouTube[/ame]​

Do some math.

10kw wouldn't run your house. Check your utility bill for clarity.

Here? Shitty. That's why we've got toll roads now. No issue for me, pay to use.

What "education" is going to make solar at my house affordable in the near future? I've done the research, gotten the quotes and it all is still way too expensive here in reality. I've even consulted with an acquaintance from Germany who is 100% off the grid with his house. He says the tax credits made it possible but the maintenance is a bear.

So please, educate me. Tell me where I can get solar with a reasonable payback.

Which is funny since the company I work at has a sister company in Germany. We have salesmen, executives and engineers drop in every month and the ones that own homes have talked about the solar panels they have and how it's brought down the cost of their electricity and they even sell power back to the electrical company. They love to show off pictures.

Even funnier, they always have the most humorous things to say about American politics. And you'll never guess the one group they comment on the most.

They say the Republican debates are watched in Germany and has many people buzzing about the nominees. They appear even worse than Bush. Bush is smart not to leave the country. There is a strong possibility that he or Cheney or Rumsfeld or Rice could be arrested for war crimes. Seems they are about as universally hated as you can be.

Here? Shitty. That's why we've got toll roads now. No issue for me, pay to use.

Wrong.

It's doing quite well and has for 50 years.

Bingo.

Ok, since Rdean has refused to answer, maybe you'd like to take a shot. Where can I get solar power for my home with a reasonable payback?

Home Depot....

Electrical - Alternative Energy Solutions - Solar Power - Solar Panels at The Home Depot

What "education" is going to make solar at my house affordable in the near future? I've done the research, gotten the quotes and it all is still way too expensive here in reality. I've even consulted with an acquaintance from Germany who is 100% off the grid with his house. He says the tax credits made it possible but the maintenance is a bear.

So please, educate me. Tell me where I can get solar with a reasonable payback.

Which is funny since the company I work at has a sister company in Germany. We have salesmen, executives and engineers drop in every month and the ones that own homes have talked about the solar panels they have and how it's brought down the cost of their electricity and they even sell power back to the electrical company. They love to show off pictures.

While I respect your privacy and would never infringe on that I'd love to get some actual real testimonials that I can bring back to the contractors. They all have a hard time seeing how they can do this sort of thing for less than they quote, and it's a LOT higher that what you say.

Now you could say, "find a better contractor" and I've tried. Here's the new scam, pay $200 for a green energy audit. I've done that a few times, and have gotten back to the same result.

Even funnier, they always have the most humorous things to say about American politics. And you'll never guess the one group they comment on the most.

Yeah well I'm here wanting to convert to solar. All I have to do is figure out a way to make it worthwhile. So you can tut-tut at me all you want but until you go even try to go solar in your own house that's all it is, some Progressive that does what most Progressives do.

They say the Republican debates are watched in Germany and has many people buzzing about the nominees. They appear even worse than Bush. Bush is smart not to leave the country. There is a strong possibility that he or Cheney or Rumsfeld or Rice could be arrested for war crimes. Seems they are about as universally hated as you can be.

So it seems you cannot tell me where I can get solar with a reasonable payback. Why did you respond to my post? You say solar is great and yet you have no answers?

Typical non-green Progressive. You're a PINOY. Progressive In Name OnlY.

Forum List

Back