Solar Power Is Now The World's Cheapest Energy

You think that we are incapable of getting our total power needs from just renewables and existing nuclear. Well, you are wrong.,
Yeah let's cover half the country in windmills and solar panels.... Brilliant
For windmills, there are some very big empty spaces in Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, and Eastern Oregon that have prime wind areas. Enough potential to provide most of our energy needs.

As for solar, I think that the big desert farms are not the most effective way to go. Switch to a distributed grid, and cover our city warehouses, malls, manufacturing facilities with solar. Very little transmission losses doing that. And the businesses, if they do it themselves, could get an income if they produced more than they used. Combine that with grid scale storage, at both the generation points, and the use points, and you have a very stable grid, with ample backup for storms.

I love solar. I have it on my house.

It's just one part of a comprehensive energy policy.

Oil, Solar, Wind, Nuclear, Geothermal, Natural Gas, Coal, hydro-electric, etc....All have their place.

You think that we are incapable of getting our total power needs from just renewables and existing nuclear. Well, you are wrong.,

Sure we can. All we have to do is vastly reduce our standard of living.
Bullshit. The only people that will reduce our standard of living is the orange clown and his cabinet of incompetents. Electricity is electricity. You will not be able to tell that it is no longer coming from the burning of fossil fuels. Except for cleaner air, and the fact that whole river systems are not getting poisoned from fly ash and chemical spills related to the burning of coal.

For windmills, there are some very big empty spaces in Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, and Eastern Oregon that have prime wind areas. Enough potential to provide most of our energy needs.

As for solar, I think that the big desert farms are not the most effective way to go. Switch to a distributed grid, and cover our city warehouses, malls, manufacturing facilities with solar. Very little transmission losses doing that. And the businesses, if they do it themselves, could get an income if they produced more than they used. Combine that with grid scale storage, at both the generation points, and the use points, and you have a very stable grid, with ample backup for storms.
Windfarms only have 20 yr lifespan from what I've seen....And I doubt those states are going you to destroy their states with standing junk

Windfarms only have 20 yr lifespan from what I've seen....And I doubt those states are going you to destroy their states with standing junk

Not to mention the thousands of dead birds.....Windfarms kill 10-20 times more than previously thought | Save the Eagles International

Solar Power Is Now The World's Cheapest Energy

Over the past six years, the cost of solar energy has dropped dramatically, to the point where it is now even cheaper than wind power in emerging markets like China and India. This may be largely due to rising investments in solar over the last few years. Now, there is electricity being produced in Chile for $29.10 per megawatt hour–half the price of power produced by coal.
"Renewables are robustly entering the era of undercutting" energy made by fossil fuels, Bloomberg New Energy Finance chairman Michael Liebreich wrote this week.

This is great news for developing nations, which do not generally have the kind of infrastructure that developed countries have dedicated to fossil fuels already in place. As they build their energy infrastructure, it will make sense to go with cheaper, renewable options, more so than it does for a country like the United States to abandon our formidable fossil-fuel based infrastructure.

hahaha, lol'd
Hahaha is right...Let`s see that bozo article has Chile produce 1 Mega watt hour for just $ 29.10
And you quoted it without noticing something fishy...like the fact that 1 mega watt hour are 1000 Kilo watt hours. Electricity prices are quoted by Kwhrs not Mwhrs and according to your article that goes for $ 0.029 per Kwhr in Chile and = 1/2 of the cost or $0.0582 when produced by coal.
Lets see now :
LMGTFY

Wow that`s unbelieeeeeevable
I thought they are already starting to flag fake news..

That`s even way less than what we pay in Canada where we have a huge surplus of cheap hydro electric power
Average electricity prices around the world: $/kWh | OVO Energy
how_much_does_electricity_cost__large-copy-8.png

Btw notice where Germany is after that cow Andrea Merkel switched to solar and wind ?
That`s where you guys were heading if Trump would have lost !!!
12 cents per kilowatt-hour

The average price people in the U.S. pay for electricity is about 12 cents per kilowatt-hour. (Context: A typical U.S. household uses about 908 kWh a month of electricity.) But there's huge variation from state to state. Here's a map of residential electricity prices, according to the Energy Information Administration.Oct 28, 2011
The Price Of Electricity In Your State : Planet Money : NPR
www.npr.org/sections/money/2011/10/27/.../the-price-of-electricity-in-your-state

OK, so there are a thousand Kw/hr in a Mw/hr. So $0.12 per Kw/hr is $122 per Mw/hr. So $29.10, wholesale, per Mw/hr is very cheap. Dirty coal, no pollution controls, costs over $60 per Mw/hr, and will only increase in price, and that does not include the externalities that we the taxpayer take care of.

Now what the hell are you talking about? You think that when a turbine approaches it's mechanical life span that they will just walk off from it? Not at all, they will bring in the same type of crane that they put up the turbine with in the first place, replace the turbine with a more modern and efficient one. Then they will recycle the materials in the old turbine.

Not to mention the thousands of dead birds.....Windfarms kill 10-20 times more than previously thought | Save the Eagles International
OK, we need to find and engineering solution to warn the eagles away from the mills blades. Same for bats. In the meantime, are you as concerned about the road kill of eagles and other raptors? How about the kill from powerlines, which is far larger than the kill from the mills? Are you suggesting that we take down all the cross country power lines? What do you suggest concerning that? And your site told a basic lie. The eagle kill allowance was for the mills and the cross country power lines. Now why do you suppose that they did not mention that?

And the reason that the eagles in the lower 48 were in danger and at low numbers in the first place, was DDT. Which the 'Conservatives' are all for.

Bullshit. The only people that will reduce our standard of living is the orange clown and his cabinet of incompetents. Electricity is electricity. You will not be able to tell that it is no longer coming from the burning of fossil fuels. Except for cleaner air, and the fact that whole river systems are not getting poisoned from fly ash and chemical spills related to the burning of coal.

So, why hasn't some one without evul republicans in charge done it?

Lots of good little lefty countries in the world, so, examples?

OK, we need to find and engineering solution to warn the eagles away from the mills blades. Same for bats. In the meantime, are you as concerned about the road kill of eagles and other raptors? How about the kill from powerlines, which is far larger than the kill from the mills? Are you suggesting that we take down all the cross country power lines? What do you suggest concerning that? And your site told a basic lie. The eagle kill allowance was for the mills and the cross country power lines. Now why do you suppose that they did not mention that?

And the reason that the eagles in the lower 48 were in danger and at low numbers in the first place, was DDT. Which the 'Conservatives' are all for.

Write them a letter and ask.

Wind power the way it is configured today, is essentially a bird guillotine. Travel on the 10 fwy through the Coachella Valley and you can see the dead bird carcasses all over the place. Same thing on the 580 through the Altamont pass. I love the "idea" of wind power, but until they find a way to minimize bird deaths, I am not a huge fan (pun inteneded!). I do like this idea- The Future of Wind Turbines? No Blades

As for power lines- we need to bury them underground.

So, why hasn't some one without evul republicans in charge done it?

Lots of good little lefty countries in the world, so, examples?
That ultra-liberal state of Texas has a serious problem with wind.

Texas Is Drowning in Wind Energy

Texas has made a massive investment in wind power, and the turbines are starting to move. 18,000 megawatts (MW) of wind generation capacity are already up and running, and 5,500 more are coming soon. But there's a problem: It's hard to build the infrastructure to get all that energy to people. There's a serious possibility that turbines will have to be turned off at times to keep from overloading the system.

It wasn't supposed to be this way. Back in 2014, Texas unveiled the Competitive Renewable Energy Zone (CREZ), a $6.8 billion transmission line project that spanned 3,600 miles of the Lone Star State meant as a hub for multiple major metro areas including Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. "It's a major milestone," Terry Hadley, a spokesman for the Public Utility Commission, told The Texas Tribune as it neared completion. Going one step further, Jeff Clark, executive director at the Wind Coalition, a regional partner of the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA), predicted that "CREZ will turn out to be the most visionary thing this state has ever done electricity-wise."

That was then. Now Texas is expecting 21,000 MW of electricity, and CREZ is only built to handle 18,500. To put that in context, a typical coal plant handles 600 MW. That might mean that turbines will have to rest idle at times. This isn't the first time or place for this to happen. The UK has also struggled with the challenge of surplus power, and energy surpluses in Chile—which have resulted in straight-up free power—are starting to have negative effects on the energy industry. It's not the worst problem to have, but it's still a problem.

There are two places Texas can go from here. It can build even more infrastructure, which it's planning on doing with the Panhandle Renewable Energy Zone, or PREZ. But after the large investment in CREZ, the state is taking a cautious view of further transmission projects. It can also export its energy, and considering how Xcel announced a $400 million project to build wires that can reach New Mexico, it's a safe bet to say that Texas wind will soon be powering homes in the Land of Enchantment

Dang, those ultra-liberal Texans just keep doing it;

Solar power starts ascent in Texas | Business | Dallas News

He compared it to wind power a decade ago, when turbines were popping up in West Texas. In 2005, wind generated 1.4 percent of electricity on ERCOT, the grid that handles most of the state’s electric load. For the first 11 months of 2015, wind’s share was over 11 percent. And in November, it was over 18 percent.

Texas is easily the No. 1 state in wind, with more than twice the capacity of California.

On solar, however, Texas has been lagging. It ranked No. 10 among the states in solar power as of September. Texas doesn’t match the incentives of some states and has an abundant supply of other cheap energy, including natural gas.

But prices for solar panels have fallen over 80 percent since 2009, making it competitive with fossil fuels. That’s ramped up the outlook in Texas, because there’s plenty of sun, a growing population, a huge electric load and a hyper-competitive electricity market.

Last year, solar installations on ERCOT grew almost 50 percent. This year, solar generation could jump sixfold, according to ERCOT projections, which are based on developer agreements to connect with the grid.

By 2030, solar will add 14,100 megawatts of power if proposed rules to cut emissions and haze remain in place, ERCOT estimates. That could power over 2 million homes in the summer. And if solar builds out as projected, it would account for more new capacity than wind and natural gas plants combined, ERCOT said.

These projections came before last month’s federal budget deal, which extended the tax credits for renewable energy — and will help keep the momentum going.

Forum List

Back