Solar Power is Bankrupt

Solar has so much potential, but all the crony capitalism that has gotten into it is bogging it down, in a slow parasitical death spiral.

For example, why cant every home owner buy solar panels and get paid for the extra electricity they pump into the power grid? Answer - because the power companies would lose money.

Why cant anyone build a solar powered farm and have direct access tot he grid back bone like any other power generator? Answer; because the power companies use this as a means to limit power production so they can keep their prices higher.

Until this bullshit is ended, solar power will never live up to its potential.

Well said.
And that is the rub...the future of solar power is not power plants. It is small, individual household units.
America's power consumption would absolutely nose dive and basically end the need for the power grid. And THAT is not going to happen as long as cronyism on both sides allows it.
The Future of Solar is a trillion dollar bill. In the past 90% of power went to industry and agriculture. If you think small household units can supply industry you have a lot to learn.

Rooftop Solar can not feedback to industry. At best it is a static or dirty power that needs heavy flltering which creates huge losses and huge expenses.

So you think it is a good idea to have the government mandate that someone else pay for the expense you create? You want the profits of the Utility without having to pay for the expense you create?

Solar has so much potential, but all the crony capitalism that has gotten into it is bogging it down, in a slow parasitical death spiral.

For example, why cant every home owner buy solar panels and get paid for the extra electricity they pump into the power grid? Answer - because the power companies would lose money.

Why cant anyone build a solar powered farm and have direct access tot he grid back bone like any other power generator? Answer; because the power companies use this as a means to limit power production so they can keep their prices higher.

Until this bullshit is ended, solar power will never live up to its potential.

Well said.
And that is the rub...the future of solar power is not power plants. It is small, individual household units.
America's power consumption would absolutely nose dive and basically end the need for the power grid. And THAT is not going to happen as long as cronyism on both sides allows it.
The Future of Solar is a trillion dollar bill. In the past 90% of power went to industry and agriculture. If you think small household units can supply industry you have a lot to learn.

Rooftop Solar can not feedback to industry. At best it is a static or dirty power that needs heavy flltering which creates huge losses and huge expenses.

So you think it is a good idea to have the government mandate that someone else pay for the expense you create? You want the profits of the Utility without having to pay for the expense you create?

I didn't do a very good job explaining what I meant.
By "end the need for the power grid"...I meant end the need for the home to be hooked up to the power grid, not the power grid itself.
But I do stick to my theory that the future of solar is individual household units. The technology will improve and address the real problems that you stated.
Already there is a small number of people choosing to live in otherwise impossible locations and using solar to energize the home. Presently, these are "fringe naturalist" types who compost their own poop, grow their own food etc. - this is not what 99% of the population are willing to even consider. Nor is present technology make economic sense for today's modern homes with HVAC etc. consuming much more than what single units can supply vs. cost of staying on grid.
Also - I would never agree for the government to buy these units. If people want them - they buy them themselves.

And yet, in the past, homes ran off the excess power at a cheap price. The government has drove up the cost of electricity, without which, people would not consider expensive alternatives.

Forum List

Back