Solar power crushes its own record for cheapest electricity ‘ever, anywhere, by any technology’

Solar Is Going to Get Ridiculously Cheap

Solar will become the cheapest source to produce power in many countries over the next 15 years, according to a new report from Bloomberg New Energy Finance.

Part of the cheap solar power will be unleashed because the cost of installing solar panels at big solar farms and on rooftops will drop 60% to an estimated average of around four cents per kilowatt hour by 2040, the report said. That’s cheaper than coal and natural gas power in many regions.

A limited number of solar projects in sunny and solar-friendly places like in Mexico have already gotten to that ultra-low four cent cost this year. But those projects have been able to optimize costs by building at huge scale, across miles of land, and selling power to utilities. By 2040, even the generally more expensive process of installing solar panels on residential rooftops could be that cheap. At the same time, large scale utility solar projects could even drop into the range of three cents per kilowatt hour.

Solar Is Going to Get Ridiculously Cheap

The more we use solar, the cheaper it gets. Coal and nuclear on their way out, natural gas out after that. Wind, solar, and geothermal with power the US and most of the world.

Solar power is now cheaper than coal in some parts of the world. In less than a decade, it’s likely to be the lowest-cost option almost everywhere.

In 2016, countries from Chile to the United Arab Emirates broke records with deals to generate electricity from sunshine for less than 3 cents a kilowatt-hour, half the average global cost of coal power. Now, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Mexico are planning auctions and tenders for this year, aiming to drop prices even further. Taking advantage: Companies such as Italy’s Enel SpA and Dublin’s Mainstream Renewable Power, who gained experienced in Europe and now seek new markets abroad as subsidies dry up at home.

Since 2009, solar prices are down 62 percent, with every part of the supply chain trimming costs. That’s help cut risk premiums on bank loans, and pushed manufacturing capacity to record levels. By 2025, solar may be cheaper than using coal on average globally, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance.

“These are game-changing numbers, and it’s becoming normal in more and more markets," said Adnan Amin, International Renewable Energy Agency ’s director general, an Abu Dhabi-based intergovernmental group. "Every time you double capacity, you reduce the price by 20 percent.”

800x-1.png

This Could Become the Cheapest Power on Earth

Already generating electricity for 3 cents per kw/hr in some places. Soon to be the worldwide price. Combined with grid scale batteries, 24/7 power way cheaper than coal, natural gas, or nuclear. Solar and wind will become the primary source of power in my lifetime.

Solar power is now cheaper than coal in some parts of the world. In less than a decade, it’s likely to be the lowest-cost option almost everywhere.

In 2016, countries from Chile to the United Arab Emirates broke records with deals to generate electricity from sunshine for less than 3 cents a kilowatt-hour, half the average global cost of coal power. Now, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Mexico are planning auctions and tenders for this year, aiming to drop prices even further. Taking advantage: Companies such as Italy’s Enel SpA and Dublin’s Mainstream Renewable Power, who gained experienced in Europe and now seek new markets abroad as subsidies dry up at home.

Since 2009, solar prices are down 62 percent, with every part of the supply chain trimming costs. That’s help cut risk premiums on bank loans, and pushed manufacturing capacity to record levels. By 2025, solar may be cheaper than using coal on average globally, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance.

“These are game-changing numbers, and it’s becoming normal in more and more markets," said Adnan Amin, International Renewable Energy Agency ’s director general, an Abu Dhabi-based intergovernmental group. "Every time you double capacity, you reduce the price by 20 percent.”

800x-1.png

This Could Become the Cheapest Power on Earth

Already generating electricity for 3 cents per kw/hr in some places. Soon to be the worldwide price. Combined with grid scale batteries, 24/7 power way cheaper than coal, natural gas, or nuclear. Solar and wind will become the primary source of power in my lifetime.
The Saudi Arabian government builds the Solar Plants and auctions the power off and you think we can do the same. All the taxpayers must pay for the Solar and the Grid Scale batteries (which have failed once already, in texas). We pay for it, and the government auctions it off? In Saudi Arabia, after the Government builds it, what do you think the cost of the electricity would be? Where the whole country has just about free oil? That provides all it's power today. Of course it will be auctioned off for cheap. Nobody built it with their money, nobody needs it, hence, the price must be pennies.

Sadly, the cost of building Solar is never included. The money given to the corporations is not admitted to. The land that is lost and given for free is not accounted for. There is not one example of Solar that is turned into a thread that is not destroyed with a tiny bit of research.

Solar and Wind will cost our economy $2 Trillion dollars a year for the next 30 years. Just ask the industry. Of course that figure changes wildly over the years. I have seen $50 trillion dollar figures as well as $350 billion figures. All from the same source. The source that is paid for by the Solar industry and their advocates and supporters.

CERES
Homepage

Reminds me of an old Steve Martin joke from the 1970's... "How to become a millionaire...first...get a million dollars".

Yes in some parts of the world part it will be cheaper, especially on an island in the ocean for small capacities.

Where are these cheap and reliable batteries? Batteries are a serious problem for solar and wind energy, and it is probably to invent these batteries just as hard as making controlled thermonuclear fusion.

Yes in some parts of the world part it will be cheaper, especially on an island in the ocean for small capacities.

Where are these cheap and reliable batteries? Batteries are a serious problem for solar and wind energy, and it is probably to invent these batteries just as hard as making controlled thermonuclear fusion.

Yep...I am going to turn an old one car garage at the end of our property into a brewhouse. It has no electricity. I talked to a guy at work who is a serious "tinkererer" loves to have all kinds of projects going. He uses solar power in his garage. He started telling me things I would need, what I would need to do...Jesus. Overall cost between $800 - $1200, not counting the engineering degree needed to put it all together.
It would be easier to dig a trench and bury an electrical line from the house.

Solar power crushes its own record for cheapest electricity ‘ever, anywhere, by any technology’
The lowest price for solar power last year is the highest price now.
Joe Romm
Oct 20, 2017, 11:24 am
Prices for new solar power projects are falling so fast that the cheapest prices from 2016 have become the ceiling price for solar today.

In April 2016, Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) reported that the record low unsubsidized solar energy price was 3.6 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh), in a March 2016 contract in Mexico.
This month, every single bid that Saudi Arabia received for its 300-Megawatt (MW) Sakaka solar project was cheaper than that.

https://thinkprogres...r-f3b620d04010/

wow, solar is kicking major ass!
and yet solar powers utility bills even higher.......just got a bbump in mine so MN can put up panels that will be buried in snow

Solar Power in a country ran by dictators, where everything is owned and controlled by either the ruling party or members of their tribe?

I bet the man responsible is arrested for corruption, at the very least! It seems the Prince responsible for Solar and Wind in Saudi Arabia is now arrested? Another win for renewables, for green and clean energy, it takes a corrupt government to implement the scam.

Just like in Oregon when the governor stepped down for passing laws mandating green energy while having an affair with a lobbyist for green energy.

Future Saudi king tightens grip on power with arrests including Prince Alwaleed

Saudi Arabia OWNS the sun-------just as that holy land OWNS the moon---------AL NABI SAID SO

I bet the man responsible is arrested for corruption, at the very least!

Corruption in Saudi Arabia is part of the country, all government posts are given to members of the royal family.

can't be helped. The Royal family is HUGE--------da king screwed a girl in every tent and made lots and lots of
princes. What do you expect the Saudis to do with them?----have them sweep the streets?

I am looking for a PLUME in my back yard-------free energy and
no SNOW problem

It took about a decade for the lithium ion to become something other than a lab curiosity. However, the development of the glass batteries will be much quicker.

These New Batteries Let Electric Cars Travel 200 Miles with a 6-Minute Charge

Toshiba's development has improved lithium-based cells in its SCiB line of battery products by increasing energy density. Toshiba claims that it has effectively doubled the energy density capabilities in a single battery cell of the same volume. Thanks to the increased density, the battery can undergo "ultra-rapid" recharging, enough to charge the 32 kWh battery of a "compact EV" for about 200 miles, all in only six minutes.

Currently, in the time it takes to to top-off a Tesla, about 86 gasoline-powered vehicles could fill up their fuel tanks. This slow charging time is something that manufacturers like Toyota have been trying to solve by seeking out the use of solid-state battery technology rather than improve the existing chemical-based cells that are used in electric cars today.

As manufacturers begin the accelerated transition towards the electrification of cars, one large problem remains in place: the charging infrastructure. It has been said time and time and again that there will always be an imbalance between battery-powered cars and chargers, however, even with the limited number of electrified vehicles on the roads today, this has been historically problematic, despite manufacturers and municipalities working together to solve this issue.

Longevity was also an important factor when designing these batteries. Toshiba says that in 5,000 discharges, the batteries experienced a diminishing capacity of less than 10 percent, a significant advancement.

Thanks to improved longevity, charging efficiency, and energy density, Toshiba has developed a battery which may very well be one of the breakthroughs needed for the commercialization of ultra-fast charging batteries. This could potentially help bring more electric vehicles on the road with greater range, and substantially less weight. With more and more countries accepting of the inevitable demise of the internal combustion engine, this new technology is effectively aiding in streamlining the acceptance of electrification across the world.

32 kW for 6 minuts or 320kW/h, I think you can imagine how thick the wires should be. The voltage should not exceed 500 V and, accordingly, the charging current is 640A and it's hard for me to imagine what the "socket" will look like in an electric car, and only connecting the car to the charging station will take more than six minutes.
Because, in case of poor electrical connection at such currents:

10480805.jpg

And there is one more bad thing, the cost of Niobium is 5-6 times more than lithium

Forum List

Back