Solar energy is dead

Not to mention that while it doesn't rain much in the mojave, it does rain, and that rain water can be captured and used to run the process.

With only 6 inches of annual rain each acre of solar farm has available 163,000 gallons of water annually that is easily collectible. Just gutters and pipes or the same kind of systems used to divert storm discharges in ordinary cities.

I guess the Solar power plants have not thought of this, too bad they dont read the message boards. I am against things that steal billions of dollars and drive up the cost of electricity so am not going to tell them about your post.

Solar power will remain dead.

How many total acres of delicate desert habitat are you advocating the destruction of.

Have you seen the desert in souther arizona?

Digging up sand isn't destroying anything anyone gives a damn about

Not to mention that while it doesn't rain much in the mojave, it does rain, and that rain water can be captured and used to run the process.

With only 6 inches of annual rain each acre of solar farm has available 163,000 gallons of water annually that is easily collectible. Just gutters and pipes or the same kind of systems used to divert storm discharges in ordinary cities.

I guess the Solar power plants have not thought of this, too bad they dont read the message boards. I am against things that steal billions of dollars and drive up the cost of electricity so am not going to tell them about your post.

How many total acres of delicate desert habitat are you advocating the destruction of.
Cactus Hugger :eusa_whistle:
cactus-hug-390x500.jpg

I guess I presumed what I consider simple knowledge, common knowledge, know to all or most here, so I apologize if I was curt, to put it mildly. I should of offered more information, better now, then never.

So here goes.

Solar is put in the desert where it is real hot in the summer, very dry which means little water.

1)Not all deserts are hot

2)heat does not mean dryness. Ever heard of a jungle?
A desert is also full of rock, sand, dirt, deposits of minerals, open mines of minerals, minerals on the ground. Everything is real dirty, it is kind of like the desert is made of sand, hundreds and hundreds of miles of sand and rock, and dirt, minerals, even plants and the dust from plants that die.

And yet, while my roof and windows get dusty, they don't get buried

What we need is a decentralized system in which every home and businesses or city, as is feasible in any given case, using the means available to them- be they solar, wind,geothermal, or some other means of production- seeks to generate all the power they need. In times of high demand, or if their own production is insufficient to fit their needs, they should draw power from a smaller grid comprised of other homes and building in their area and also shared sources of production- wind farms, solar farms, nuclear or coal plants. Each of these micro-grids should then be connected to one another through a hierarchal system, where each tier can operate independently of those next to or above it. Our aging infrastructure, currently our lifeline, should then be converted to transmit power as needed between the largest sets of these 'microgrids'.

Such a system would help isolate people from rolling blackouts, reduce the vulnerability of America's power supplies, and improve overall efficiency, while the investment in producing one's own power would help to save money and greatly reduce power bills in the future.

It falls to every homeowner to decide to lead this effort in their own home, beginning by adding to or retrofitting their homes with wind or solar power to the extent they can. It falls to congress and state leadership to put into effect tax breaks for such investments to help encourage such progress and to push for the adoption and development of such a system, in their towns, cities, counties, and states. This is a system that would have to be built from the bottom-up-- not by big daddy fed, but by homeowners, local businesses, and cites and other local bodies. The fed and the massive power supergiants should not be the vulnerable backbone of America. They should work together to strengthen systems that should be able to survive alone, generate their own power and revenue, and encourage good ol' American ingenuity, drive, and technological innovation.

This has been my point for years. It is called a distributed grid. Now the Fed has a part, as you have pointed out, by creating tax incentatives to do this. Oregon has been doing this for years, and just increased the amount of kw's you have to be adding in order to get the same tax break as before. The reason being that solar and home wind have both came down considerably in price since the law was put into affect. Even the utilities have gotten into the act as they have began to realize that it would be to their benefit to have more power on line in the daylight hours when there is the most need of that power by industry.

Goodyear, Buckeye, Wintersburg road, near Palo Verde Nuclear Generating station.

Yes I have seen it. Have you seen the Sequoia's, the bats, the coyote. How about the Desert Turtle.

I just spent ten days in Arizona, I go to Arizona every year on business, Sometimes I stay as long as three months. I can say I have spent a good two years of my life in Arizona.

Arizona Top 10 Cash Crops - NORML

Rank Crop Unit Planted Area
(000) Acres Harvested Area
(000) Acres Yield Per Acre Production
(000) Units 1997 Street Price Per Unit
Dollars Value of Production
(000) Dollars
1 Cotton, Upland Lb 320 319 1,234.00 393,600 $0.673 $264,893
2 Hay, All Ton N/A 220 7.45 1,640 $111.000 $182,040
3 Marijuana Lb N/A N/A N/A 35 $2,976.000 $105,160
4 Wheat, All Bu 100 98 89.5 8,775 $4.700 $41,243
5 Lemons Box N/A 13.9 187 2,600 $10.880 $28,288
6 Corn for Grain Bu 70 50 170 8,500 $3.300 $28,050
7 Apples, All Commercial Lb N/A 4 11,300.00 45,000 $0.553 $24,885
8 Pecans Lb N/A N/A N/A 17,500 $1.250 $21,875
9 Barley Bu 70 67 102 6,834 $3.050 $20,844
10 Cotton, Amer-Pima Lb 22 22 982 21,600 $0.901 $19,462

100% destruction of all natural forms of life, 10 square miles of life gone, for one Solar Power farm. The return is a trickle of electricity, depletion of local water sources, massive use of energy to manufacture the Solar Panels.

DT+on+DS.png

Last edited:
That's a tortoise, not a turtle.

I just spent ten days in Arizona, I go to Arizona every year on business, Sometimes I stay as long as three months. I can say I have spent a good two years of my life in Arizona.
I was born and have spent near my whole life in Southern Arizona. Trust me, we've got plenty of stretches of sand nobody will miss.

That's a tortoise, not a turtle.

I was born and have spent near my whole life in Southern Arizona. Trust me, we've got plenty of stretches of sand nobody will miss.

I am not aware of the difference, further turtle is easier to spell. I tried and was so far off the spell checker gave me screwed up alternatives.

I will miss the sand, I love the desert. Further, all those damn mirrors just reflect heat up into the atmosphere super-heating CO2.

Every solution to global warming destroys the earth.

I care about the sand,

see how easy your proved wrong.

Maybe you can respond with a bit more intelligence next time.

So, all your prove is you dont know your ass from a hole in the ground, should I did up your post where you stated that solar was profitable, that solar did not need to be mandated by law, and subsidized.

Nice, thanks for showing us how Old Crock always will post something that contradicts a previous Old Crock statement.

PGE Solar Rooftop Project in Portland | Solar Panels - Green Power

A new PGE solar rooftop project in Portland, Oregon will be the largest rooftop solar installation in the Pacific Northwest. PGE (Portland General Electric) is planning a 2.4 megawatt (MW) solar project in partnership with U.S. Bank, ProLogis, and several other Oregon companies. Northwest Solar Solutions estimates at least 60,000 green jobs (union wage electrical and roofing) will be created.

The project will be approximately 900,000-square feet in size and will cover the roofs of seven ProLogis warehouses in Portland and the neighboring cities of Gresham and Clackamas. UNI-SOLAR thin-film solar panels will be installed, like the ones used in the 2008 solar panel partnership project between PGE and ProLogis.

Cox Enterprises Completes Alternative Energy Project in Portland, Oregon - Oct 6, 2010

Cox Enterprises Completes Alternative Energy Project in Portland, Oregon
200kW Solar project produces green energy for Manheim Portland
PORTLAND, Ore., Oct. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Cox Enterprises announced today that it has completed a solar power installation at its Manheim Portland facility on North Hayden Island Drive. The photovoltaic rooftop solar panel installation is 16,500 square feet and converts the sun's radiation to electricity.

"The Manheim Portland solar installation is closely tied to Cox Conserves, our national sustainability program," said Steve Bradley, director of alternate energy, engineering and business continuity for Cox Enterprises. "This is our tenth alternative energy project, and combined, the projects prevent 12,000 tons of greenhouse gases from entering the environment on an annual basis."

The installation generates 193 MWh of energy annually and provides more than 25 percent of the facility's electrical load requirement. By harnessing the sun's power, Cox helps the environment and reduces its energy costs.

I guess I presumed what I consider simple knowledge, common knowledge, know to all or most here, so I apologize if I was curt, to put it mildly. I should of offered more information, better now, then never.

So here goes.

Solar is put in the desert where it is real hot in the summer, very dry which means little water.

1)Not all deserts are hot

2)heat does not mean dryness. Ever heard of a jungle?
A desert is also full of rock, sand, dirt, deposits of minerals, open mines of minerals, minerals on the ground. Everything is real dirty, it is kind of like the desert is made of sand, hundreds and hundreds of miles of sand and rock, and dirt, minerals, even plants and the dust from plants that die.

And yet, while my roof and windows get dusty, they don't get buried

1) The Mojave desert is not hot, please tell how, not asking for a link.

2) The Mojave desert is not dry. Link for this one.

I do work here on occasion

Attachments

• $boron.jpg
    $boron.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 117
  • $Boron close.jpg
    $Boron close.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Cox Enterprises Completes Alternative Energy Project in Portland, Oregon - Oct 6, 2010

Cox Enterprises Completes Alternative Energy Project in Portland, Oregon
200kW Solar project produces green energy for Manheim Portland
PORTLAND, Ore., Oct. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Cox Enterprises announced today that it has completed a solar power installation at its Manheim Portland facility on North Hayden Island Drive. The photovoltaic rooftop solar panel installation is 16,500 square feet and converts the sun's radiation to electricity.

"The Manheim Portland solar installation is closely tied to Cox Conserves, our national sustainability program," said Steve Bradley, director of alternate energy, engineering and business continuity for Cox Enterprises. "This is our tenth alternative energy project, and combined, the projects prevent 12,000 tons of greenhouse gases from entering the environment on an annual basis."

The installation generates 193 MWh of energy annually and provides more than 25 percent of the facility's electrical load requirement. By harnessing the sun's power, Cox helps the environment and reduces its energy costs.

Now you get to pay more for your cable bill dumb ass. 193 MWh if the sun shines 100% of the time, at best you will get 20% of installed capacity. So we are speaking of 25 MWh a year, not enough energy to pump water to the roof to wash the panels once a year, of course the panels will be washed more frequently, given pumping water is one of the largest expenditures in any city that is one hidden subsidy to Cox, of course the only reason Cox did this was law, mandates, subsidies, grants, tax breaks, still the water issue, the energy used to pump that water to the top of the building is not bore by Cox, it may not seem like much but it is tremendous. What about the pollution from the energy used to pump extra water to Cox. Seems like we should save the water for better use.

Now lets look at the brand of Solar panels so we can see where they were built. Oregon has not offset CO2 with this tiny project, they just release the extra CO2 in the air elsewhere, where is that, where did Oregon emit this pollution. Was it China, I did not see the name of the Solar panels in the article. I want to know the city of where those panels were fabricated, the cities name of each place a component of these panels were made.

We need the names of the cities so we can understand how much pollution Oregon is hiding. They are not building these panels in Portland.

What are the names of the cities. What is the name of the Solar panel

Forum List

Back