Solar company Obama touted--& loaned 535 MILLION guaranteed loan announces bankruptcy

What was in the blimp my friend?

Hint: Hydrogen.

What happened to the hydrogen in the blimp?

Hint: Boom!
Most fuels have varying levels of volatility.
As of right now vehicles are using propane and natural gas. These are extremely volatile.
Is it your contention that because 70 years ago a zeppelin exploded? You do know that it is suspected a bomb or bombs were planted on the Hindenburg?
Yes, the use of hydrogen was viewed as hazardous. 70+ years ago there were not nearly the number of safety features available today. So to pooh pooh hydrogen just to reject it out of hand is short sighted.
Don't be a stick in the mud.

CaféAuLait;4108008 said:

I saw a commercial for natural gas trucks/cars the other day.

Surprisingly compressed natural gas is much more stable.
For any fuel to combust it must become a vapor( escape from tank) mix with oxygen and combine with an Accelerant( spark or flame)
As long as the container(tank) of the subject vehicle does not rupture, there is no chance of explosion.

CaféAuLait;4108410 said:
CaféAuLait;4108008 said:
I saw a commercial for natural gas trucks/cars the other day.

Surprisingly compressed natural gas is much more stable.

I had no idea. It showed a truck rolling down the road and spoke of natural gas. I just kept thinking it was more volatile than gasoline. Learn something new every day.

I have been around some natural gas line breaks. Right near the leak there is little possibility of ignition. Further away where there is more oxygen you may have a big problem.

You dont actually think they put that 535 million into the company do you? That was kickback money for the money donated while the kenyan in chief was on the campaign trail.

Propane's Flash point is -156 degrees

Gasoline's is -45 degrees

Diesel 2-D is 125 degrees

Hydrogen is -423 degrees, making it the most flammable of the group.

Interesting development:

FBI agents executing search warrant at Solyndra

Federal agents are executing a search warrant Thursday morning at the Solyndra headquarters in Fremont, according to an FBI spokeswoman.

The search is part of a joint operation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Department of Energy and the Office of Inspector General, according to Julianne Sohn, a spokeswoman for the FBI.

The action by federal agents comes a week after the solar manufacturer abruptly closed, laying off about 1,000 workers.

Sohn would not comment on the purpose of the search or for what they might be looking.

"Everything is under seal," she said.

Last edited:
House probing $528M loan to failed solar company - Yahoo! News

House Republicans on Wednesday questioned whether the White House rushed approval of a government loan guarantee for a solar panel manufacturer before a review was complete. The company has since filed for bankruptcy, leaving taxpayers on the hook for the $528 million loan.

Solyndra Inc. was a major presence in Washington and spent millions lobbying the federal government, particularly about the Energy Department's loan guarantee program. Its executives raised thousands of dollars for President Barack Obama and Democrats. Obama visited its Fremont, Calif., headquarters to highlight the kind of renewable energy companies worthy of economic stimulus money.

GOP lawmakers said a groundbreaking for Solyndra featuring Vice President Joe Biden was scheduled for September 2009, even before the Energy Department had submitted its final paperwork on the terms of the OMB loan.

"We would prefer to have sufficient time to do our due diligence reviews and have the approval set the date for the announcement rather than the other way around," said one of the emails from an unnamed OMB aide to Biden's office.

Obama cited Solyndra as an example of how the economic stimulus bill would create jobs. But the company has since filed for bankruptcy and laid off 1,100 workers, saying it couldn't compete with foreign manufacturers of solar panels.

Due diligence was rushed. This is going to be called Solargate.

Forum List

Back