Softwood Lumber.

Jun 26, 2005
Ontario, Canada eh?
I would like a reasonable answer for you guys not listening to the courts. You claim that we subidized our soft-wood lumber industry, and you took it to court many times. You lost all those court battles. And you have kept billions in illegal duties. This isn't how free trade works.

Answer please?

The first link is not available to me..
The other two are chat sites..geezzzz

I guess you mean this though, It looks legal to me. We don't like dumping, deal with it.
The Countervailing Duty
In order to legally impose a countervailing duty against softwood lumber imports from Canada,
the USDOC was required to prove that the softwood lumber industry was subsidized by the
Canadian government; specifically that the Canadian government provided a financial
contribution to the softwood lumber industry that benefited Canadian softwood lumber
producers. In August 2003 a NAFTA panel concluded that the USDOC had shown that the
Canadian government did provide a financial contribution
(via below market stumpage rates)
and that this financial contribution was provided to a specific industry (Canadian softwood
lumber producers). However, the NAFTA panel concluded that the methodology used by
USDOC to measure the extent of the benefit provided to Canadian softwood lumber producers
was “contrary to law”. The NAFTA panel asked USDOC to recalculate the benefit provided to
the softwood lumber industry as a result of below market stumpage rates.
In response to the NAFTA panel remand, USDOC adopted a market principles methodology in
place of the earlier cross border price comparisons to estimate the benefit conferred upon the
softwood lumber industry. Using this new methodology, USDOC concluded in January 2004
that the CVD rate on Canadian softwood lumber imports should be 13.2% (down from the
original 18.8% rate), thereby reducing the total import duty (CVD + AD) from 27.2% to 21.3%
(although the applied duty will not be changed until an administrative review is completed).
Forgot the link...
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...oftwood+lumber+duties?&hl=en&client=firefox-a

Forum List

Back