socks?

It depends on a few things, though.

If the local wireless cafe has the same provider as you the IPs can look similar enough to pass muster with mods.

I don't know how other providers work, but with AT&T U-Verse, power cycling or resetting the AT&T router will not change my IP address. In order for my IP address to change, AT&T has to reset something on their end. Which they do do occasionally, but not predictably. When it does change, it's just the last few digits changing, so it's clearly still the same neighborhood.

so there are people out there paying extra for extra ip's so they can have many ids on the computer....wouldnt it just be easier to go to a different board? i just dont get the big pretend game....

how does one keep up with so many lies?

The answer is no. They are not failing to do their jobs. They know there are socks here. But the purpose of a forum is making money. Sometimes socks 'aka' trolls bring in traffic. Traffic = ranking which = revenue, So it is beneficial in some cases to look the other way. As far as why people make them. Yes it would be easier to go somewhere else. But there is mental illness involved. You can't apply logic to that.

i remember a lot of that from the initial net when it was all new and strange and more a like a wild west show....but i really thought most people had gotten over it but now i keep watching these docs on catfishing......and the links people go to....and then....i watched one on 2nd life? omg...talk about crazy lol.....they got shit worth real money ...that just confused me...you designed and sold stuff on line and get this....there was a civil suit in rl over stolen property on 2nd life...

and they call me crazy?????

AOL is an example. Each time you log on, AOL will show you could be anywhere. IF you use them as your ISP. They bounce you around from location to location. For example, you live in St. Louis...but it shows your ISP is in Montana, or Kentucky, or even Missouri.

So, the most anyone can really go by is clues, posting styles, possible agendas, or like someone else said...knowing stuff but are semi noob and suck at being a sock and tipping their socky hands.

But not everyone. My server has a very fixed set of one or two possible IPs and that's that. The second is just for emergencies, I was told, and the front end digits are still the same.
Well whoever told you that are WAYYYYY off :)

My server told me that during the installation of my new cable service.

i think i will get me a sock...a conservative female with big tits.....works for me

Show us your tits!:D

this is what i love about men...they will say this regardless...

regardless of the fact that i am 60....for what two more months....i assure you....it would just stop traffic and scare the little ones....

I'm from New Orleans. We don't care if you're 100 and 800 lbs. Show them if you want the beads. We've loved all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, whatever. It has only been recently a "Girls Gone Wild" kinda thing, and that was the death of enjoyable Mardi Gras, IMO.

so basically you just need to have two accounts or ip servers?

You can have as many sock accounts as you have IPs.

You can have a hella lot IPs.

Start with your desktop, likely wired into cable. One IP.
Then your cellphone, say with Verizon. IP #2.
You have a phone from your job, hooked into their regional phone line. There's your 3rd IP.
You have the computer at work, the 4th IP.
You have a Tablet or Ipad bouncing off the neighbor's signal, giving you a 5th IP.
Then there's the local library, that gives you 6 IPs
Starbucks and assorted other wireless cafes give you 7 (or more) IPs.

Joining a board and jumping too soon into the drama threads, and knowing too much about the players is a dead giveaway.

So is your posting style.

I love it when someone forgets which IP is used by which of their socks.

Timing is everything, socks tend to appear in close proximity to the core personality.

Location, location, location - Not just the physical location of the IPs, but which threads the core and its socks post on. Socks rarely stray far from their owner.

^^^^ - If a bunch of IPs show up at around the same time from some small area, it's a sockfest. (Exceptions being adbots and spambots)

If you are using your own laptop when you go to Starbucks or any other place, you don't get a different IP address. IPs are assigned to each device, so your computer's IP doesn't change just cause you use it at Starbucks or at a hotel somewhere.

That isn't correct. MAC addresses are permanently assigned to individual devic es IP addresses are not. IP addresses are assigned by range to each ISP and handed out accordingly when needed. Thus , a Starbucks doesn't even have the range of IP addresses available that your home or work does (unless of course you work at Starbucks)

And further, individual machines on a network are not really assigned IP addresses anyway. Only the front end device, in this case likely a wireless ,is assigned an IP address and everything behind that is a client device that is assigned a subnet IP that has nothing to do with the ISP. So 50 people could be logged onto this message board from one Starbucks and they would all show the same IP address as far as the admins and moderators know.

Your IP address is absolutely not tied to your device.

I now suspect strollingbones has a sock. She is trying too hard. I bet she's novasteve. :eek:

The real issue is the government paying people, like Greenbeard, to post here to "get their story out"

You can have as many sock accounts as you have IPs.

You can have a hella lot IPs.

Start with your desktop, likely wired into cable. One IP.
Then your cellphone, say with Verizon. IP #2.
You have a phone from your job, hooked into their regional phone line. There's your 3rd IP.
You have the computer at work, the 4th IP.
You have a Tablet or Ipad bouncing off the neighbor's signal, giving you a 5th IP.
Then there's the local library, that gives you 6 IPs
Starbucks and assorted other wireless cafes give you 7 (or more) IPs.

Joining a board and jumping too soon into the drama threads, and knowing too much about the players is a dead giveaway.

So is your posting style.

I love it when someone forgets which IP is used by which of their socks.

Timing is everything, socks tend to appear in close proximity to the core personality.

Location, location, location - Not just the physical location of the IPs, but which threads the core and its socks post on. Socks rarely stray far from their owner.

^^^^ - If a bunch of IPs show up at around the same time from some small area, it's a sockfest. (Exceptions being adbots and spambots)

If you are using your own laptop when you go to Starbucks or any other place, you don't get a different IP address. IPs are assigned to each device, so your computer's IP doesn't change just cause you use it at Starbucks or at a hotel somewhere.

That isn't correct. MAC addresses are permanently assigned to individual devic es IP addresses are not. IP addresses are assigned by range to each ISP and handed out accordingly when needed. Thus , a Starbucks doesn't even have the range of IP addresses available that your home or work does (unless of course you work at Starbucks)

And further, individual machines on a network are not really assigned IP addresses anyway. Only the front end device, in this case likely a wireless ,is assigned an IP address and everything behind that is a client device that is assigned a subnet IP that has nothing to do with the ISP. So 50 people could be logged onto this message board from one Starbucks and they would all show the same IP address as far as the admins and moderators know.

Your IP address is absolutely not tied to your device.

Yeah, if you read some of the previous posts, CK already addressed that and I responded to him and posted a link to an explanation of IPs, but thanks for your effort.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/announcements-and-feedback/349048-socks-4.html#post8920652

Last edited:

Forum List

Back