Social Security, Social Security, Social Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are the richest country in the world.

We should be able to take care of the old and the sick.

It's the right thing to do.

Thank you for that. I'm an agnostic and don't even believe that hereafter bullshit but If I was a believer I would at least want to follow the rules. I've read the new testament no less than 10 times and there are a couple of messages in there which supercede all others, sell what you have, give it to the poor and the hell thing. If I was a Republican these days the least I would do is give up my Christian belief. I'm not that much of a hypocrite.

You are not an agnostic
Definition of AGNOSTIC

: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
: a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something

Nope............You're full of it

My birth date is 9-26-34

Give it up already. Your stupid 'persona' has been blown up. Try a new one.

I'll quit if you will

My birth date is 9-26-34...........last time I checked that's 77 years.

Like I said....when one is hungry they remember a lot....especially what adults around them are discussing. I have what some have called a remarkable memory. Anyway you are like so many others here....you have drank the Kool-Aid.

What do you have to say about the county poor farms

There's an old poor farm site no further than three fourths of a mile from where I am right now. It was closed about 1950-55. Some relatives still go up there and visit the graves of their Roane County, TN ancestors.

Here are a couple of courthouse records:

SIMPSON, William; single, b. 9 Aug 1926 in TN-d. 15 Aug 1927 in Roane Co.; Father:
"not known"; Mother: "not known"; Place of Burial: Poor Farm Cemetery.

ADCOCK, Joe, married, b. (age 58(?) years) in TN-d. 10 Apr 1927 in Roane Co.; Father:
"not known"; Mother: "not known"; Place of Burial: Poor House Farm.

It's what Republican policies if unabated would take us back to.

Ignore PunkoTard... his response to getting PWNd is to accuse people of being not what they say they are...

While all the time denying he's a Mormon when he whines about why people don't love Romney

You two useless fucking bigots make a lovely couple - a couple of fucking douchebags.

Give it up already. Your stupid 'persona' has been blown up. Try a new one.

I'll quit if you will

Like I said....when one is hungry they remember a lot....especially what adults around them are discussing. I have what some have called a remarkable memory. Anyway you are like so many others here....you have drank the Kool-Aid.

There's an old poor farm site no further than three fourths of a mile from where I am right now. It was closed about 1950-55. Some relatives still go up there and visit the graves of their Roane County, TN ancestors.

SIMPSON, William; single, b. 9 Aug 1926 in TN-d. 15 Aug 1927 in Roane Co.; Father:

ADCOCK, Joe, married, b. (age 58(?) years) in TN-d. 10 Apr 1927 in Roane Co.; Father:

Ignore PunkoTard... his response to getting PWNd is to accuse people of being not what they say they are...

While all the time denying he's a Mormon when he whines about why people don't love Romney

LOL.....yeah, I'll bet he has that magic underwear on right now
Next to the Jesus bunch Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were the two biggest liars in the history of the world...all they had to do was admit how much they loved young pussy

Last edited:
Ah, two young bigoted fucking idiots in love....nauseating.

I remember when the first people began to draw a pittance from social security...about 1942, 43. The act was initiated about 1935 and guess what.......the Republicans screamed that it would cost jobs. They continued to scream until the act went to the supreme court twice before it was finally ruled constitutional. Republicans would like to see the poverty stricken back on county poor farms(poorhouses) A couple of acres and a basically empty house where a group of poverty stricken people lived and those who could still amble about would raise and can enough food to feed all of them. This country is lightly sprinkled with unmarked graves from those days.

Social Security is the only program in Washington that month end and month out pays it's own way.

I wish you people had a clue. I wish you could have seen west Tennessee during the depression. Unemployment reached nearly 50%. Grown men cried because they were unable to put food on the table for their families. Men would scrounge around looking for a days work on farms, 12 hours in the fields for $0.75 and their mid day meal. My dad worked in a box factory and ruptured himself lifting loads from a skid and the second day he missed they replaced him. There were no unions, no benefits, no vacation, personal leave, health insurance, workman's comp, etc. If a man could work he was paid...if he couldn't he wasn't.

When my dad got a job as timekeeper on the WPA that was the first regular paycheck he ever drew. He made about $6.50 a week. Believe it or not that was enough to feed us and afford a place to live. He would be sure that my mom kept a pot of navy beans warming on the stove so beggers who knocked on the door knowing we had no work for them could at least have a bowl of beans and a stick of corn bread.

My dad was lucky. When the war started he hired in at Procter and Gamble in Milan, TN where they were cooking TNT and turning out 500# bombs. He worked his way up from laborer to a line superintendent then when he heard they were hiring for a special project in east Tennessee he went to Jackson, TN, interviewed and landed a job working on the Manhatten project in Oak Ridge, TN. Our family did alright after that........all of us. Oak Ridge had over 700 PHD's. 10 times the national average for the population. Those people demanded good schools for their kids and my family was one of thousands who benefited from that. We were so lucky that looking back I have no clue what our fate might have been had we stayed in west Tennessee.

Last edited:
Social ecurity is in trouble because of both parties in Congress. They robbed the till replacing the people's money with IOU's. Honest Congressmen should have seen what was happenng years ago and privatized SS. I would have more faith in the people to invest than opening it up to the drain gangs in DC.

We are the richest country in the world.

We should be able to take care of the old and the sick.

It's the right thing to do.

Thank you for that. I'm an agnostic and don't even believe that hereafter bullshit but If I was a believer I would at least want to follow the rules. I've read the new testament no less than 10 times and there are a couple of messages in there which supercede all others, sell what you have, give it to the poor and the hell thing. If I was a Republican these days the least I would do is give up my Christian belief. I'm not that much of a hypocrite.

You are not an agnostic
Definition of AGNOSTIC

: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
: a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something

That's exactly what I believe. You have a lot of balls. I read the bible and the book of mormon before I was 20 years old. By my mid 20's I had read the new testament no less than ten times and had most of it memori ed chapter and verse.

If there is anything after death, which I doubt, we will all have an equal shot at it and not just those who believe a load of shit which came from the developing imagination of a bunch of primitives during the stone age who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat.

Obama fucked that up for me. Now I have a passport and nowhere to go.

You weren't going anywhere to begin with.

I've never heard your kind of bullshit from anywhere except the Republicans. Somehow they always seem to have enough money. Strange how having enough money and never being hungry during one's life will affect one's attitude and perception. You wanna do something...go volunteer for a couple of tours in Afghanistan...maybe you can have the honor of getting acquainted with my oldest granddaughter's husband.
Right, the republicans tried to prevent Social Security and have tried to kill it ever since.

Really?

I just have your word to take on that I guess.....

I'll quit if you will.

You should quit, because your little story is all worn out, fraud.

I won't quit if you don't....that's a promise

I'll quit if you will

You realize that Spamming is against board rules right??!!
:eusa_boohoo:

I have posted this before, but I think you might appreciate it....

The happiest place on earth - Denmark

Disney World claims the distinction of being "the happiest place on earth," but if you're really in search of human bliss, you'd be surprised where you'll find it.

Is there a place where people facing the daily grind of life are somehow nudged by their surroundings or their values or their government into being the happiest people on the planet?

You might expect that place would be a tropical paradise with warm sand and soft breezes. Or a Mediterranean village with sun-kissed vineyards. Or the United States -- land of the free and home of the brave. But if you use social science techniques, you'll find some surprises. A paradise like Fiji comes in more than 50 spots below Iceland in happiness rankings. For all its style and cuisine, France and Italy rank well below Canada. And while the United States may be the richest and most powerful country, when it comes to happiness, it is only No. 23.

For the past decade, social scientists and pollsters have given elaborate questionnaires to hundreds of thousands of people around the globe. Two of the largest studies that rank the happiness of countries around the world are the World Map of Happiness from the University of Leiscester and the World Database of Happiness from Ruut Veenhoven of Erasmus University Rotterdam. All the happiness surveys ask people basically the same question: How happy are you?

The answer you get is not only how they feel right now, but also how they feel about their entire life," explained Dan Buettner, who has studied happiness and longevity around the world through his Blue Zones project Buettner said that if you mine all the databases of universities and research centers, you'll find that the happiest place on earth is ? Denmark. Cold, dreary, unspectacular Denmark.

Denmark is a place where stoic locals wear sensible shoes and snack on herring sandwiches. Sure, they produce the occasional supermodel, but its most famous countryman may be the late entertainer Victor Borge.

Could the Danes really be the happiest people in the world? When ABC News anchor Bill Weir traveled there to find out, he asked random Danes to rate themselves in terms of happiness, on a scale of one to 10. Many people rated themselves at least an eight, and there were several nines and 10s. Finally, one grouchy Dane came along who said she didn't believe Danes were so happy. But then she quickly conceded that she herself felt rather content with her life, and said Danes in general had very little to complain about.

Danes do have one potential complaint: high taxes. The happiest people in the world pay some of the highest taxes in the world -- between 50 percent and 70 percent of their incomes. In exchange, the government covers all health care and education, and spends more on children and the elderly than any country in the world per capita. With just 5.5 million people, the system is efficient, and people feel "tryghed" -- the Danish word for "tucked in" -- like a snug child.

Those high taxes have another effect. Since a banker can end up taking home as much money as an artist, people don't chose careers based on income or status. "They have this thing called 'Jante-lov,' which essentially says, 'You're no better then anybody else,'" said Buettner. "A garbage man can live in a middle-class neighborhood and hold his head high."

Denmark: The Happiest Place on Earth - ABC News

Fantastic.....Great post.....I would have never guessed even close to that. You reminded me that I was a teenager in the 1950's and those were my family's happiest moments. Guess what rich people were paying then.......anyone who earned more than $300,000 per year paid 91% of the excess to the IRS. Of course we were paying for WW2 but everyone seemed happier then....the rich people too.

Of course we were paying for WW2 but everyone seemed happier then....the rich people too

Oh yeh I bet the rich just loved handing most of what they earned to Uncle Sam....

I have posted this before, but I think you might appreciate it....

The happiest place on earth - Denmark

Disney World claims the distinction of being "the happiest place on earth," but if you're really in search of human bliss, you'd be surprised where you'll find it.

Is there a place where people facing the daily grind of life are somehow nudged by their surroundings or their values or their government into being the happiest people on the planet?

You might expect that place would be a tropical paradise with warm sand and soft breezes. Or a Mediterranean village with sun-kissed vineyards. Or the United States -- land of the free and home of the brave. But if you use social science techniques, you'll find some surprises. A paradise like Fiji comes in more than 50 spots below Iceland in happiness rankings. For all its style and cuisine, France and Italy rank well below Canada. And while the United States may be the richest and most powerful country, when it comes to happiness, it is only No. 23.

For the past decade, social scientists and pollsters have given elaborate questionnaires to hundreds of thousands of people around the globe. Two of the largest studies that rank the happiness of countries around the world are the World Map of Happiness from the University of Leiscester and the World Database of Happiness from Ruut Veenhoven of Erasmus University Rotterdam. All the happiness surveys ask people basically the same question: How happy are you?

The answer you get is not only how they feel right now, but also how they feel about their entire life," explained Dan Buettner, who has studied happiness and longevity around the world through his Blue Zones project Buettner said that if you mine all the databases of universities and research centers, you'll find that the happiest place on earth is ? Denmark. Cold, dreary, unspectacular Denmark.

Denmark is a place where stoic locals wear sensible shoes and snack on herring sandwiches. Sure, they produce the occasional supermodel, but its most famous countryman may be the late entertainer Victor Borge.

Could the Danes really be the happiest people in the world? When ABC News anchor Bill Weir traveled there to find out, he asked random Danes to rate themselves in terms of happiness, on a scale of one to 10. Many people rated themselves at least an eight, and there were several nines and 10s. Finally, one grouchy Dane came along who said she didn't believe Danes were so happy. But then she quickly conceded that she herself felt rather content with her life, and said Danes in general had very little to complain about.

Danes do have one potential complaint: high taxes. The happiest people in the world pay some of the highest taxes in the world -- between 50 percent and 70 percent of their incomes. In exchange, the government covers all health care and education, and spends more on children and the elderly than any country in the world per capita. With just 5.5 million people, the system is efficient, and people feel "tryghed" -- the Danish word for "tucked in" -- like a snug child.

Those high taxes have another effect. Since a banker can end up taking home as much money as an artist, people don't chose careers based on income or status. "They have this thing called 'Jante-lov,' which essentially says, 'You're no better then anybody else,'" said Buettner. "A garbage man can live in a middle-class neighborhood and hold his head high."

Denmark: The Happiest Place on Earth - ABC News

Fantastic.....Great post.....I would have never guessed even close to that. You reminded me that I was a teenager in the 1950's and those were my family's happiest moments. Guess what rich people were paying then.......anyone who earned more than $300,000 per year paid 91% of the excess to the IRS. Of course we were paying for WW2 but everyone seemed happier then....the rich people too.

Of course we were paying for WW2 but everyone seemed happier then....the rich people too

Oh yeh I bet the rich just loved handing most of what they earned to Uncle Sam....
But they did and America flourished.

Why is it that none of you sheep realize that if you had control over the money the government confiscates for SS that you'd all be better off?

You vote for the stock market ponzi scheme? Go ahead and put your money in the stock market and watch the hedge funds sell everything short and steal your retirement. Then what? Grow a brain. SS is the safest bet. If you also have a 401k, fine, try not to lose it.

SS isn't a problem. Its solvent to 2037. With a little tweak SS is fine. Medicare and Medicaid are the problems. They are all but bankrupt now. Then the stupid dems add 30,000,000 free-loaders into the system.

Anyone who wants to depend on SS in their golden years deserves the royal screwing they are in store for.You guys wanna trust government to take care of you lots of luck.

They have already moved the goal posts...

You wanna retire at 65 and good full benefits.....not so fast dumb ass.
They moved the goal posts on us now didn't they...

I will gladly take what I can from SS when the day comes...
But I bet to get full bennies I will have to retire at 70+

That's if there is any thing left. :mad:

Last edited:
Why is it that none of you sheep realize that if you had control over the money the government confiscates for SS that you'd all be better off?

You vote for the stock market ponzi scheme? Go ahead and put your money in the stock market and watch the hedge funds sell everything short and steal your retirement. Then what? Grow a brain. SS is the safest bet. If you also have a 401k, fine, try not to lose it.

SS isn't a problem. Its solvent to 2037. With a little tweak SS is fine. Medicare and Medicaid are the problems. They are all but bankrupt now. Then the stupid dems add 30,000,000 free-loaders into the system.

Anyone who wants to depend on SS in their golden years deserves the royal screwing they are in store for.You guys wanna trust government to take care of you lots of luck.

Sorry but you're not going to take my SS away from me by telling me I shouldn't expect it. I've paid for it, its an insurance policy, and it has nothing to do with "government taking care of me", it has to do with government paying the benefits of an insurance policy that I'm buying from them and is thus rightfully MINE. It will constitute one part of a multi-pronged retirement approach that also involves paying off mortgage, saving in long term bonds and in stocks, and seeking employment that I'll be able to continue to do in old age.

Last edited:

Sorry but you're not going to take my SS away from me by telling me I shouldn't expect it. I've paid for it, its an insurance policy, and it has nothing to do with "government taking care of me", it has to do with government paying the benefits of an insurance policy that I'm buying from them and is thus rightfully MINE. It will constitute one part of a multi-pronged retirement approach that also involves paying off mortgage, saving in long term bonds and in stocks, and seeking employment that I'll be able to continue to do in old age.

it has to do with government paying the benefits of an insurance policy that I'm buying from them and is thus rightfully MINE

But it's not rightfully yours. You have no legal right to benefits.
Congress could change the law tomorrow and cut your SS in half.
Or eliminate it entirely. Despite what you were promised or how much you "contributed".

it has to do with government paying the benefits of an insurance policy that I'm buying from them and is thus rightfully MINE

Or eliminate it entirely. Despite what you were promised or how much you "contributed".

They could change the law tomorrow and decide I have to sell them my house, too, but that doesn't mean my house isn't MINE. The fact they are able to renege on their obligation doesn't mean they don't have an obligation.

They could change the law tomorrow and decide I have to sell them my house, too, but that doesn't mean my house isn't MINE. The fact they are able to renege on their obligation doesn't mean they don't have an obligation.

You're confusing an unconstitutional taking with an "entitlement" that can be erased today.
It's not a contract. You have no Social Security account with your name on it. Sorry.

You're confusing an unconstitutional taking with an "entitlement" that can be erased today.
It's not a contract.

Its not unconstitutional for the Congress or a state legislature to force you to sell them your property. Its called eminent domain. Without it, they wouldn't have been able to knock down poor peoples houses to build highways.

You have no Social Security account with your name on it. Sorry.

LOL! I get a statement every year. It tells me what my benefit levels are. I'm guessing you don't check your mail or you've never been employed

It's not a contract.

Its not unconstitutional for the Congress or a state legislature to force you to sell them your property. Its called eminent domain. Without it, they wouldn't have been able to knock down poor peoples houses to build highways.

You have no Social Security account with your name on it. Sorry.

LOL! I get a statement every year. It tells me what my benefit levels are. I'm guessing you don't check your mail or you've never been employed

They can "take" your house by giving you compensation.
They can take your Social Security and give you nothing.
Check it out....

You worked hard your whole life and paid thousands of dollars in Social Security taxes. Now it's time to retire. You're legally entitled to Social Security benefits, right? Wrong. There is no legal right to Social Security, and that is one of the considerations that may decide the coming debate over Social Security reform.

Many people believe that Social Security is an "earned right." That is, they think that because they have paid Social Security taxes, they are entitled to receive Social Security benefits. The government encourages that belief by referring to Social Security taxes as "contributions," as in the Federal Insurance Contribution Act. However, in the 1960 case of Fleming v. Nestor, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that workers have no legally binding contractual rights to their Social Security benefits, and that those benefits can be cut or even eliminated at any time.

Is There a Right to Social Security? | Michael D. Tanner | Cato Institute: Daily Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back