Social Security for children.

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
Have any of you applied for Social Security for your children? My son is considered DD now, and will be starting a special ed pre school when he turn three. It looks like he will have a long term care plan. I cannot afford to do everything he needs, and I was looking into applying for social security for him. I have no clue what it is like, and if he will qualify. I plan on speaking to an expert, but I was just wondering if any of you had any advice.

Have a good DR and records to apply for disability. Expect to be declined the first time.
Hang in there and perservere.

btw when granted you get back pay to your time of application.

Have a good DR and records to apply for disability. Expect to be declined the first time.

He has already been diagnosed as developmentally disabled. I have an IEP, and IUCP(I believe that is what it is called) for him. He has been going to therapy for a year now, and has seen a doctor at the place he goes to therapy at. He is also considered DD with the state already, in regards to medical insurance. I figured it will take a long time, I just don't know what the best way to go about it is.

Usually about 6 months.

Go to your local SS office and ask them for help in pursueing the process.
or hire one of those right wing lawyers specializing in SS benefits.
Will cost ya though.

I've heard this business about being declined the first time you apply for disability before but I don't think that is really true in every case. I'm on disability and I filled out all the paperwork myself and even asked the guy at SS when I had my interview about hearing about everybody being declined the first time they applied. He said it was not really true that everybody gets declined on their first application. He said if that was true they would be doubling the amount of paperwork and who wanted to do that? I will admit that the forms were very long and very detailed to fill out but if you take your time and work through them and answer every question honestly and completely you will most likely not have any difficulties - especially if you have lots and lots of documented medical records. They will determine what date your son actually qualified for his disability and give you back compensation except for the first six months of his documented disability. Don't rush through the applications and give complete honest answers and you most likely won't have any problem.

Have any of you applied for Social Security for your children? My son is considered DD now, and will be starting a special ed pre school when he turn three. It looks like he will have a long term care plan. I cannot afford to do everything he needs, and I was looking into applying for social security for him. I have no clue what it is like, and if he will qualify. I plan on speaking to an expert, but I was just wondering if any of you had any advice.

Two words... "Binder & Binder." I think your son would qualify for some sort of SSI or SSD, but my advice is get help to get it. SS is painfully slow and complicated to deal with, and a SS attorney can be worth their weight in gold.

Binder & Binder is the best.

Two words... "Binder & Binder." I think your son would qualify for some sort of SSI or SSD, but my advice is get help to get it. SS is painfully slow and complicated to deal with, and a SS attorney can be worth their weight in gold.

Thanks! I have thought about that. I know it can be hard and the fact is disorder isn't recognized by all yet, will probably prove difficult. I think the fact he as been diagnosed as DD, has been in therapy for a year, and will now be in special ed should help.
I don't even want it forever, for one after he starts school it will become a little easier to handle, I hope. Right now, I need the help. In order to do everything I have to work less, and I need to keep him in a certain program, and it all costs money.

Thanks! I have thought about that. I know it can be hard and the fact is disorder isn't recognized by all yet, will probably prove difficult. I think the fact he as been diagnosed as DD, has been in therapy for a year, and will now be in special ed should help.
I don't even want it forever, for one after he starts school it will become a little easier to handle, I hope. Right now, I need the help. In order to do everything I have to work less, and I need to keep him in a certain program, and it all costs money.

Yeah I'd say get some help Lu. SS can be a total nightmare to deal with, but these attorney's like Binder & Binder specialize in it. They know the ins and outs and what's required to get the job done. If anyone can help you, they can.

Thanks Pale. I will for sure look into it.
My friend's dad is a federal social security judge, but I don't think he deals with this sort of thing, plus he doesn't live here anymore.

Luissa, I was denyed at first. I fought my own case and was awarded disability and backpay. It took over 2 yrs and I lost most everything. It is a tough road. Goodluck.

He has already been diagnosed as developmentally disabled. I have an IEP, and IUCP(I believe that is what it is called) for him. He has been going to therapy for a year now, and has seen a doctor at the place he goes to therapy at. He is also considered DD with the state already, in regards to medical insurance. I figured it will take a long time, I just don't know what the best way to go about it is.

Ask the experts

Social Security Act 1930

Social Security Benefits For Developmentally Disabled

Forum List

Back