Social Security: Don't "Save" It; Raise It!

georgephillip

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2009
Los Angeles, California
"But we can"t afford it."

With a federal tax rate of nearly 15% of US GDP, some of us can more than afford to provide seniors with more than $10,000 a year to live on. Unless you're expecting Congress to manufacture a new IRA that grows hair, the best option to elevate the 39% of the average workers preretirement earnings that Social Security currently pays is to "find an additional 5 percent of taxable payroll, or find the money elsewhere."

Lifting the cap on payroll taxes without raising benefits to those above it provides an additional 2.32%

"Dedicating revenues from the estate tax at its 2009 levels to Social Security gets another half percent. A few other tweaks, like covering new public employees, add another 0.42 percent.

"The remainder can be found by raising the payroll tax by roughly 1 percentage point for both employees and employers..."

"Retirees today are shortchanged on Social Security because they have been shortchanged on wages for their entire working lives.

"The labor economist Richard B. Freeman points out that the hourly earnings of workers dropped by 8 percent from 1973 to 2005 while productivity shot up 55 percent or more.

"The United States is one of the few developed countries where workers are routinely cheated of a share in higher productivity.

"And where has the money from the extra productivity gone? It’s gone right to the top, to the top few percent.

"If wages had been paid fairly based on productivity, there would have been enough money subject to the payroll tax to avoid even a modest shortfall."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/opinion/20geoghegan.html?hp

With a federal tax rate of nearly 15% of US GDP, some of us can more than afford to provide seniors with more than $10,000 a year to live on.

It's not a matter of whether we CAN or CAN'T afford it, George. For some of us it's a matter that we don't WANT to have anything to do with it.

I would suggest that probably 20% of the current SS payers would OPT OUT immediately if given the option to not pay anything in and not get anything out. I know I would and a large number of others I know would.

Now, with that option, I'd be more than happy to see another option that would let people like you pay MORE than they are required to as well.

How does that sound to you?

With a federal tax rate of nearly 15% of US GDP, some of us can more than afford to provide seniors with more than $10,000 a year to live on.

It's not a matter of whether we CAN or CAN'T afford it, George. For some of us it's a matter that we don't WANT to have anything to do with it.

I would suggest that probably 20% of the current SS payers would OPT OUT immediately if given the option to not pay anything in and not get anything out. I know I would and a large number of others I know would.

Now, with that option, I'd be more than happy to see another option that would let people like you pay MORE than they are required to as well.

It sounds a lot like my grandmother.

She was so far to the Right that when FDR made SS mandatory, she didn't sign up.
Fast-forward four decades to the time she was no longer able to work.
She literally died from shame when the family discovered her decision.

If you think you don't need government, I hope you're better at financial planning than my grandmother was.

The breakdown of the social contract within this type of capitalism we currently practice is that the workers are not getting a healthy share of the wealth that they produce.

As capital;ism demands a healthy split between consuming and creating wealth, this imbalance is leading us to the economy malaise we are experiencing today.

And this trend has encouraged by a wide variety of policies in taxation, and trade, and labor relations passed by BOTH PARTIES in the USA in the last 40 years or so.

There is no magic bullet to solve this problem, folks.

There are multiple areas in our social contrct that we need to fix, but far as I can tell, we lack the foresight to make the hard political decisions we'd need to make to solve this problem.

The solution is personal responsibility. Stop relying on government solutions to personal problems. It's not radical, we've survived as a species for thousands of years, we'll continue to survive, even without Social Security. Stop being whiny bitches and blaming others for your own failures. Own your own life. You already won the "birth" lottery just by being born in this country. If you can't make something of it, buy a mirror and blame that person. That's who let you down.

She was so far to the Right that when FDR made SS mandatory, she didn't sign up.

If you think you don't need government, I hope you're better at financial planning than my grandmother was.

I have no great interest in surviving beyond my useful years if I can't afford to deal with my own finances. To that end, I have put aside 1 round of 230 grain jacketed hollowpoint ammunition in .45ACP with my initials engraved on the casing. THAT is my plan.

If it were so great, why the fuck is it mandatory??.. people would be FLOCKING to it by choice

Exactly. We should change the system to make it very clear that SS and Medicare are OPTIONS, and see who stays IN and who opts OUT. I think you'd find those programs bankrupt in about 2 years if they did that.

The solution is personal responsibility. Stop relying on government solutions to personal problems. It's not radical, we've survived as a species for thousands of years, we'll continue to survive, even without Social Security. Stop being whiny bitches and blaming others for your own failures. Own your own life. You already won the "birth" lottery just by being born in this country. If you can't make something of it, buy a mirror and blame that person. That's who let you down.

Personal responsibility is sadly lacking. The more support that's provided the more people rely on the support.

I have no great interest in surviving beyond my useful years if I can't afford to deal with my own finances. To that end, I have put aside 1 round of 230 grain jacketed hollowpoint ammunition in .45ACP with my initials engraved on the casing. THAT is my plan.

So what do you do when there is no one left to ignore?

Whenever I read these criticism of social security and the desire to opt out, I wonder how these people were raised, what was their family like, and grandparents like that so narrow minded and cold hearted a specimen came from all of them? How narrow can one's life be when the idea of helping people is wrong. Of course the reasoning is that it is the government doing this, or it was a democratic president who started it, or they won't be able to benefit from it, but SS has probably done more good in this nation than any charity or religion or philanthropic endeavor ever did or ever will. Government is all the people and without it chaos would reign, charities do some good but often come with lots of strings attached. It is truly telling how far America has moved from it principles of the constitution of all the people, to a greedy, self centered mindless myopia that only thinks of things in how they will benefit them. No wonder America is moving towards third world status, our people today, many of them, have third world minds and values. All the people who have just a slightly better life due to social security insurance can only hope that America's heart changes.

Last edited:

Sounds great until people like you opt out and end up broke in retirement, and then scream that you need government help. While there may be some who would opt out and actually save for their retirement, a great many more would just continue living paycheck to paycheck, never putting anything away. And in the end, the burden would fall upon everyone else. This is the reason the program covers everyone and you cannot opt out.

Sounds great until people like you opt out and end up broke in retirement, and then scream that you need government help. While there may be some who would opt out and actually save for their retirement, a great many more would just continue living paycheck to paycheck, never putting anything away. And in the end, the burden would fall upon everyone else. This is the reason the program covers everyone and you cannot opt out.

So, I can't opt out because the majority of Americans are idiots? Not that I disagree with most Americans being idiots, but it's a pretty asinine reason make it mandatory.

If someone would voluntarily opt out and then not do anything about their retirement then fuck 'em. It's not my responsibility to care for someone else's stupidity. If we did care for them after all they did we would just be an enabler to ignorance and stupidity.

YOUR suggestion is to force ME to pay into a program that I do not like and will not use. MY suggestion is to let the motherfuckers STARVE if they don't plan for their retirement.

Forum List

Back