Social Security clogged with disability claims

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By MATT SEDENSKY, Associated Press Writer Matt Sedensky, Associated Press Writer – Wed Apr 1, 3:01 pm ET

TAMPA, Fla. – For all the talk of an impending crisis in Social Security, one already exists: The system is clogged with hundreds of thousands of disputed disability claims, a backlog so big that some people wait years for a hearing.

Social Security officials blame underfunding, understaffing, a dramatic rise in cases and an increasing number of claims involving hard-to-prove ailments, such as back pain, depression and anxiety.

Even with a $500 million infusion from the federal stimulus program, it could take years to clear the backlog. In the meantime, many of those who have applied for benefits struggle to make ends meet.

It took my wife a year and a half to get hers, and she finally had to hire a law firm to go after it. The retirement fund is gone. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I don't see how some of these people who didn't have any money set aside make it. It sure as Hell doesn't take them more than one pay period to deduct OUR end from our checks.

By MATT SEDENSKY, Associated Press Writer Matt Sedensky, Associated Press Writer – Wed Apr 1, 3:01 pm ET

TAMPA, Fla. – For all the talk of an impending crisis in Social Security, one already exists: The system is clogged with hundreds of thousands of disputed disability claims, a backlog so big that some people wait years for a hearing.

Social Security officials blame underfunding, understaffing, a dramatic rise in cases and an increasing number of claims involving hard-to-prove ailments, such as back pain, depression and anxiety.

Even with a $500 million infusion from the federal stimulus program, it could take years to clear the backlog. In the meantime, many of those who have applied for benefits struggle to make ends meet.

It took my wife a year and a half to get hers, and she finally had to hire a law firm to go after it. The retirement fund is gone. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I don't see how some of these people who didn't have any money set aside make it. It sure as Hell doesn't take them more than one pay period to deduct OUR end from our checks.

I saw this earlier, made me wonder just how well our national health program will work. It would be funny, if not so damn serious.

around here...you are considered stupid if you arent on disability ....drug seekers get on it a lot faster than people who need it....sadly...

just one more argument for trashing social security.

Let everyone keep that 15% of their income so they can fund their own retirement accounts and pay for a disability policy that they actually own and will be better than the government version.

Gunny...Social security pretty much denies EVERY disability claim the first time around.

A year and half is about the average amount of time it takes to get it.

You wasted your money using a lawyer, BTW. How much did that cost you? About 33% of your wife's first check which included the year and half back pay?

You should have just kept filing cause, pal, that's pretty much all your lawyer probably did for your wife.

SS has been doing this queueing to disability claims for at least twenty years that I know of.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back