Social Media Giants Shouldn’t Be Arbiters of Appropriate Speech

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
rtrlten215106-cropped-1250x650.jpg

Of course they shouldn’t.

But, they’re private entities and one agrees to their Terms of Service when logging on. If they want to decide who uses their site and who doesn’t, that’s their business.

It’s not as if users wouldn’t possess a block button. I can’t recall a single time, in my decade using social media, that I opened an Infowars link. I doubt most of you have, either. Even if you did, you wouldn’t melt. They’re just words.

And the very last thing we need is some bureaucrat or politician telling them what to do.

More @ Social Media Giants Shouldn't Be Arbiters of Appropriate Speech

But, they’re private entities and one agrees to their Terms of Service when logging on. If they want to decide who uses their site and who doesn’t, that’s their business.

It’s not as if users wouldn’t possess a block button. I can’t recall a single time, in my decade using social media, that I opened an Infowars link. I doubt most of you have, either. Even if you did, you wouldn’t melt. They’re just words.

And the very last thing we need is some bureaucrat or politician telling them what to do.

However, they're going that route, so fuck 'em!

I don't disagree.

But conservative whining is disingenuous.

If Facebook and Twitter were banning liberal sources, they'd be cheering it.
bullshit.

sheer and total speculative bullshit.

this isn't one side vs. the other. this isn't let someone else drop the hammer and call one side right and the other wrong. this is a company limiting free speech and the left finding ways to make it acceptable. i daresay if the left were told to shut up and banned, they'd not go "well hell, their company their rules".

i don't have to like or agree with what you say but i will sure fight for your right to say it because we *share* that right. when one side giggles the other side is losing that ability, what does that say about those people? to me it says they suck shit out of asses for a hobby. hopefully however no longer through a plastic straw.

if this is really what those companies wish to do - great. but it does change how they will have to operate in the business world from a legal standpoint. if i don't like it, after awhile i'll leave. but even if FB/Twitter were banning say occupydemocrats.org i'd be 100% against it.

not their role or job.

Society decides the meaning of its language. Social media are merely part of that process.

Yes, they are private entities, but they hold a unique position as a moderator of the new digital commons.

Plus, they constantly say the content is not "theirs" in a legal liability sense, so their 1st amendment rights wouldn't be violated if they were told they had to follow the 1st amendment themselves.

It's a hazy area of law, I agree, but allowing them to control content based on politics is allowing them to control politics.

What needs to happen is more neutral corporate entities to start up the equivalents of Google, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, MSN, Comcast, Disney, networks, and other Tech, and Media outlets to offer alternatives.

The Tech and Media sectors are Far Left and have a virtual MONOPOLY on filtering communication. This needs to stop through competition, not regulation.

Forum List

Back