soccer OT

Scoring a goal is very different from scoring a touchdown. It's not really a good direct comparison. Soccer, hockey, even basketball can be much better compared. Football is played so much differently than those sports that direct comparisons often fail.

The comparison is how the NFL awards 6 points for moving the ball across a line. Soccer awards one goal for the same act.

And again, because the games are played so differently, such a comparison is almost meaningless. What is done in football for the act of "moving the ball across a line" is very different from what is done in soccer, both in how the ball gets there and what must be done for moving it across the line to count as a score.

If they have 6 points for a goal in soccer, you’d see fewer morons complaining about the low scores even though an 18-12 match had just as much scoring as a 3-2 match

Well, since soccer games are 90 minutes rather than the 60 of football, a football game with 5 TDs would have more scoring per minute than a soccer game with 5 goals. ;)

Thats true.

The biggest problem I have with American Football currently is the “official reviews” (the replay rules) where every single play is reviewed. Soccer has it right (for the most part) and especially the EPL. 90 minutes of soccer is about 90 minutes of soccer. There is no downtime. And I’ve grown (it was a long process) to really admire what these people can do with their feet. Hearing the OP chastise the sport for low scoring is close to the most ignorant thing ever.
What you are saying is right. Soccer can have some real exciting plays. Its just that there are only a few exciting plays in soccer. The athletics and endurance is tough. But the real action is not.

The comparison is how the NFL awards 6 points for moving the ball across a line. Soccer awards one goal for the same act.

And again, because the games are played so differently, such a comparison is almost meaningless. What is done in football for the act of "moving the ball across a line" is very different from what is done in soccer, both in how the ball gets there and what must be done for moving it across the line to count as a score.

If they have 6 points for a goal in soccer, you’d see fewer morons complaining about the low scores even though an 18-12 match had just as much scoring as a 3-2 match

Well, since soccer games are 90 minutes rather than the 60 of football, a football game with 5 TDs would have more scoring per minute than a soccer game with 5 goals. ;)

Thats true.

The biggest problem I have with American Football currently is the “official reviews” (the replay rules) where every single play is reviewed. Soccer has it right (for the most part) and especially the EPL. 90 minutes of soccer is about 90 minutes of soccer. There is no downtime. And I’ve grown (it was a long process) to really admire what these people can do with their feet. Hearing the OP chastise the sport for low scoring is close to the most ignorant thing ever.
What you are saying is right. Soccer can have some real exciting plays. Its just that there are only a few exciting plays in soccer. The athletics and endurance is tough. But the real action is not.

I am curious, how many soccer matches have you attend and what level of play were they?

Forum List

Back