soccer OT

..so AUS vs NOR they played an hour and a half with only 2 goals-- game tied
now they are playing 30 more minutes game still tied
!!!!!
this is STUPID
why don't they play ANOTHER 90 minutes??!!
they should do like NHL and take 2 or 3 players off each team for OT

I believe it would have something to do with endurance. In high level soccer, you’re allowed 3 substitutes; that’s it. Usually, one is reserved by smart coaches for injuries because if you’ve subbed 3 times and then you have an injury…you play with 10 players.

Usually (not sure about WWC) there are two 30 minute periods followed by PK’s if memory serves.

The idea of taking 2 or 3 players off is, well, dumb.
think before you babble--soccer is not a high scoring sport
2 hours and just 2 goals in this last game when the teams are fairly matched
let's play ANOTHER 90 minutes !!!
If they can’t score in the first 90 minutes
Why continue the same thing?

I say, remove two players from the field every five minutes

You’d actually ensure less scoring since lateral ball movement is what causes openings that talented players exploit
....bullshit --when a talented AGGRESSIVE player attacks by rushing forward is how the ball gets to the offensive zone
..you CAN'T score until the ball goes forward--not laterally
hahahahhahahahahah
you can kick it all day laterally-no score
you are wrong, the fast players would score

some heartfelt advise:

It is better to let people think you are an idiot than it is to open your mouth and prove it.

peace
we know you are an idiot
it's undeniable there is more competition in men's soccer
you just proved yourself to be an idiot
'''heartfelt'''---hahahahhahahahahah--and you prove to be immature/a rookie/etc when it comes to debating .......how old are you? 16?

!!!!!
this is STUPID

It’s too hard physically to play another 90 minutes.

some heartfelt advise:

It is better to let people think you are an idiot than it is to open your mouth and prove it.

peace
AND for more proof of your immaturity/etc:
....here we have a nice thread on sports and you people act like immature kids by insulting people.....I will be nice and polite until a jackass starts crap
....you, candya$$man, etc have to be jackasses for no reason at all except that you must be immature

!!!!!
this is STUPID

The NHL only started doing 3 v 3 OT a few years ago. Before that it was 4 v 4 for a while, and before that they had ties, like soccer. More importantly, the NHL does not do 3 v 3 in the playoffs. In the playoffs of the NHL, if they get to overtime, the teams simply keep playing 20 minute periods until someone scores. What is currently going on in the Women's World Cup could be considered playoffs. The win by Norway knocked Australia out of the tournament.

Norway won in a shootout, by the way. That's something the NHL does as well, at least during the regular season. I'm not a fan of it for either sport.

!!!!!
this is STUPID

The NHL only started doing 3 v 3 OT a few years ago. Before that it was 4 v 4 for a while, and before that they had ties, like soccer. More importantly, the NHL does not do 3 v 3 in the playoffs. In the playoffs of the NHL, if they get to overtime, the teams simply keep playing 20 minute periods until someone scores. What is currently going on in the Women's World Cup could be considered playoffs. The win by Norway knocked Australia out of the tournament.

Norway won in a shootout, by the way. That's something the NHL does as well, at least during the regular season. I'm not a fan of it for either sport.
NHL does not do PSs for playoffs, correct?

!!!!!
this is STUPID

I believe it would have something to do with endurance. In high level soccer, you’re allowed 3 substitutes; that’s it. Usually, one is reserved by smart coaches for injuries because if you’ve subbed 3 times and then you have an injury…you play with 10 players.

Usually (not sure about WWC) there are two 30 minute periods followed by PK’s if memory serves.

You’d actually ensure less scoring since lateral ball movement is what causes openings that talented players exploit
....bullshit --when a talented AGGRESSIVE player attacks by rushing forward is how the ball gets to the offensive zone
..you CAN'T score until the ball goes forward--not laterally
hahahahhahahahahah
you can kick it all day laterally-no score
you are wrong, the fast players would score
Wow. You know nothing about the sport.

!!!!!
this is STUPID

I guess the mentality is that if a softball game is 3-3, instead of extra innings, have a homerun derby?

!!!!!
this is STUPID

I guess the mentality is that if a softball game is 3-3, instead of extra innings, have a homerun derby?
you do not comprehend at all
REMEMBER what I said???!! = soccer is a low scoring game--especially when the teams are fairly evenly matched!!--there is a lot LESS scoring --
....in MLB they are hitting a lot more home runs/etc -MORE scoring = no need for OT so much...AND there is a lot less play time !!!!
soccer is continuous play and after TWO HOURS only TWO goals in the Nor AUs game
..you DO see the HUGE difference, yes?

!!!!!
this is STUPID

Argentina and Portugal lead the 32 World Cup teams in scoring. Each has averaged 2.3 goals per game. Slightly more than a third of the teams — 11 of 32 — averaged less than one goal per game. One team, Honduras, played their entire schedule of games without making a single goal. They never got even one ball in the net! Exactly half the teams — 16 of 32 - allowed less than one goal per game to be scored against them. The “sides” of Portugal and Uruguay are yet to be scored on. They have allowed opposing “sides” an average of 629 touches per-game, but zero goals.
from your ''girly'' news HuffPost
Why Americans Don't Like Soccer | HuffPost

!!!!!
this is STUPID

It’s too hard physically to play another 90 minutes.
I was joking

!!!!!
this is STUPID

-------hahahhahah--that's just it ---they kick the ball around laterally so much, there is not much scoring!!!!--read = not much scoring
it gives the defenders time to get back, also

!!!!!
this is STUPID

you do not comprehend at all
REMEMBER what I said???!! = soccer is a low scoring game--especially when the teams are fairly evenly matched!!--there is a lot LESS scoring --
....in MLB they are hitting a lot more home runs/etc -MORE scoring = no need for OT so much...AND there is a lot less play time !!!!
soccer is continuous play and after TWO HOURS only TWO goals in the Nor AUs game
..you DO see the HUGE difference, yes?

I thnk all here agree, baseball is the most boring of all major sports, is that your point?

Still, I enjoy it when the Yankees are winning.

!!!!!
this is STUPID

LISTEN YOU DUNCE!!!!!
The reason the time allotted for a particular sport is set is b/c pushing players to play prolonged games is likely to cause serious career ending physical injuries.
Who in their right mind would tell an athlete to play until they drop from exhaustion?
THINK before you run your mouth!

!!!!!
this is STUPID

-------hahahhahah--that's just it ---they kick the ball around laterally so much, there is not much scoring!!!!--read = not much scoring

Dropped on your head as a kid were ya?

!!!!!
this is STUPID

Argentina and Portugal lead the 32 World Cup teams in scoring. Each has averaged 2.3 goals per game. Slightly more than a third of the teams — 11 of 32 — averaged less than one goal per game. One team, Honduras, played their entire schedule of games without making a single goal. They never got even one ball in the net! Exactly half the teams — 16 of 32 - allowed less than one goal per game to be scored against them. The “sides” of Portugal and Uruguay are yet to be scored on. They have allowed opposing “sides” an average of 629 touches per-game, but zero goals.
from your ''girly'' news HuffPost
Why Americans Don't Like Soccer | HuffPost

don't like girls?

That's OK. There is nothing wrong with that.

another mature post by you---at least I grew up --unlike you

another mature post by you---at least I grew up --unlike you

Being a fat slob is not growing up, it's growing out.

You beer drinking softball fags always make me chuckle as I do my roadwork around the park.

!!!!!
this is STUPID

NHL does not do PSs for playoffs, correct?

They don't do a shootout in the playoffs. Penalty shots are different; a penalty shot is when a player is going to have a breakaway and an opposing team's player does something illegal to prevent it, like tripping him with his stick. In that case, the player that should have had a breakaway chance gets to do a 1 v 1 with the goalie. That can happen in the playoffs as well as the regular season, but it's not very common.

Penalty shots in soccer both work somewhat differently and happen more often (too often in my opinion). In hockey, the player shooting takes the puck from the center line dot and skates in at the goalie to attempt to score. In soccer, the ball is placed on a dot between the two goal boxes and the player runs up and kicks it at the goal. In soccer, any time the defending team commits a foul within the goal box, it is a penalty kick for the other team. At least, that's my understanding; I'm still pretty new to soccer, but the couple I currently live with a big fans and have been explaining things to me. :lol:

Oh, and a bit of trivia: from what I can tell, Major League Soccer used to have penalty shots very similar to the NHL, where the player ran the ball in from 35 yards away. That ended around the turn of the millennium, apparently.

Forum List

Back