So You Want Jobs!!

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
WASHINGTON — Lockheed Martin Corp. is lobbying the Obama administration to buy additional F-22 fighter jets by arguing that continued production of the plane would preserve nearly 100,000 jobs across the country, including 19,500 in California.

Lockheed lobbies for F-22 production on job grounds - Los Angeles Times

The end of the space shuttle program comes amid an economic crisis in Florida which was badly hit by a turn down in the real estate market. Some 7,000 space industry workers will lose their jobs by the time the shuttle program ends, which potentially will be a disaster for Brevard County.
Orlando Sentinel - The Write Stuff – Space shuttle program layoffs continue: Boeing sheds 36 jobs

Kissell will surely reap rewards in his home state. Of the 44 textile plants closed in the country in the past year, 14 were in North Carolina, where 10,300 people lost their jobs.

How does the amendment get around World Trade Organization rules?

It turns out, under international trade obligations there is an exemption for national security agency procurement requirements.

“We’ve been working since the creation of the DHS to extend that procurement code,” said Auggie Tantillo, executive director of the American Manufacturing Trade Action Coalition (AMTAC). “Obviously, the Kissell legislation made that a reality.”
Textiles laud ‘made in USA’ law

So it's about jobs. well as a suggestion why not start with DoD and perhaps as the last article indicates have some of our tax money spent on the production of such items as uniforms that are now mostly made in China and Mexico here in this nation, or perhaps right down to the new Presidential helicopter made in Italy. The President recently went to Tampa and made a speech on the benefits of high speed rail and on the same day the White House informed NASA that the Constellation program was done and that NASA needs to concentrate on scientific missions such as climate change. The 8 billion that will go to high speed rail is a mere drop in the bucket for what the real costs will eventually be and while many see this as some nirvana we do have a little experience in Govt. passanger rail and thats called Amtrak. Frankly as these jobs in the defense and technology sector bleed out as a result of outsourcing and cuts and just plain bad policy , I submit had the President really wanted to concentrate on jobs then he would not on the one hand talk about jobs and on the other sit by and let thousands lose them. The one thing that is striking in the last article is just how much the DoD spends on textiles anually and what that number means in jobs, which was around 200, 000. In short rather than concentrate on things such as high speed rail and marsh mice, perhaps its better if the Govt. learns to spend its money a little more wisely to begin with and make decisions that put this nation as it's first priority.

Producing obsolete weapons for jobs?

Better to produce alternative energy soloutions.

Produce alternative energy solutions when people can afford to implement alternative energy solutions...otherwise their is no demand for the alternative energy solutions.

SO exactly what do they do with the alternative energy solutions when they sit in warehouses? And what do all of those new employees do with their time after they have i9ncreased inventory to the maximum amount?

You may as well employ people to dig holes and fill them again...at least there is no "ending point".

Produce alternative energy solutions when people can afford to implement alternative energy solutions...otherwise their is no demand for the alternative energy solutions.

SO exactly what do they do with the alternative energy solutions when they sit in warehouses? And what do all of those new employees do with their time after they have i9ncreased inventory to the maximum amount?

You may as well employ people to dig holes and fill them again...at least there is no "ending point".

Ahh with that attitude we would still be driving on dirt roads and have no railroads.

If alternative energy sources were needed, we'd be producing them. That's how capitalism works. Only in a command and control economy does the government dictate what is produced.

We know this because high-speed rail systems in other nations were not built, and are not operated, anywhere near so cheaply as Obama suggests. In the past decade, Taiwan built a single 215-mile high-speed passenger route for $15 billion. Germany, France, and Italy, often cited as advanced railroad nations, subsidize their rail systems heavily: Between 1995 and 2003, Germany spent $104 billion on subsidies, France spent $75 billion, and Italy spent $64 billion, according to a 2008 study by Amtrak’s inspector general. Rail ridership in Europe far outpaces that in the U.S., but in spite of these huge subsidies, trains have lost a significant portion of their market share to automobiles and planes since 1980.

High Speed Rail Going Nowhere Fast - CBS News

8 billion for this fallacy known as high speed rail is meaningless and what it will create is a new program that is totally dependant on the Govt. for it's existance. If you wish to have high speed rail like Europe then you will have to fund it like them as well. As for obsolete weapons systems, the F-22 is the ONLY 5th generation fighter aircraft in active duty service. In fact if it were so obsolete then why would China be rapidly developing a counter to it, and Russia as well?

MOSCOW - Russia on Jan. 29 unveiled a new fighter aircraft touted as a rival of the U.S. F-22 stealth jet and developed amid the highest secrecy as part of a plan to modernize the armed forces.
Russia Unveils Fighter Seen as Rival to F-22 - Defense News

Yeah... can you say "Amtrak, the Sequel"???

If you loved Amtrak I, you'll love Amtrak II.

Ahh with that attitude we would still be driving on dirt roads and have no railroads.

No....paved roads and railroads were needed and used immediately.

Your idea...Obama's idea....is like spending tax payer money on the development of 75 foot TV's during a deep recession.

A much better analogy to what I am saying.

For example....how many people in THIS economic climate do you believe can afford, or are willing to front 20K to have all windows in their homes replaced and another 20K to have solar panels installed on their roofs?
Sure they will get a tax credit for it...but they still need to front the money.

On the Alternative engery front, I have no problem with things like solar, wind, etc, however, what it supposes that the leaders in this technology will simply give up and go away once we start producing it. I have news for you, the largest producers of those technologies are NOT in this nation and those so called green jobs like most of the jobs these days in the manufacturing sector will end up where they always do offshore. A energy program that concentrates on a actually building this nations energy needs from the bottom up and leaves the environmental ideology out of the mix will no doubt produce many jobs and go a long way in securing this nations energy future.

Your idea...Obama's idea....is like spending tax payer money on the development of 75 foot TV's during a deep recession.

For example....how many people in THIS economic climate do you believe can afford, or are willing to front 20K to have all windows in their homes replaced and another 20K to have solar panels installed on their roofs?
Sure they will get a tax credit for it...but they still need to front the money.

both paved roads and railways were built with a govt push and money/land.
Capitalism joined in but the govt pushed it.

We've been toying with light rail here in New Orleans as an alternative to the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway for two decades.. Everytime it is analysed, it is deemed completely undoable financially. Another black hole.

I was struck on the textile issue quite a bit and it seems to me that if Govt. wants to promote the economy then they can start by purchasing military uniforms from domestic textile industries.

both paved roads and railways were built with a govt push and money/land.
Capitalism joined in but the govt pushed it.

As they should have been. Infrastructure is the responsibility of the government.
Ideally, new roads and railroads built during a recession create jobs at a time for jobs and a result that is needed, good times and bad.

But to spend a dime on something people can not afford to buy is ludicrous.

Create jobs with what you said you would create jobs with...shovel redy projects....but not for golf courses....INFRASTRUCTURE!

I was struck on the textile issue quite a bit and it seems to me that if Govt. wants to promote the economy then they can start by purchasing military uniforms from domestic textile industries.

ALL military hardware, etc should be purchased from domestic suppliers. No exceptions.

Baretta handguns?

Almost all urban rail transit is unable to pay for itself. So, you have the straphangers wildly claiming how smart they are for going "rail",yet completely ignoring the fact that they are larglely supported by taxpayers.. who don't use the rails. I don't see how this will be any different.

Last edited:
when you have people riding rail instead of using roads you make maintaining the roads cheaper.

There are cosst savings for the government for decades to come with a project like this.

ALL military hardware, etc should be purchased from domestic suppliers. No exceptions.

Baretta handguns?

You know while thats easily said citizen we have let our industrial base get to the point where there are some things the military uses that are just not made in this nation any longer. I think it's pretty striking when this nations CIC will arrive at the White House in Marine One built overseas. While I do think the warfighter and the taxpayer should get the VERY BEST for their money, there is a lot to be said about giving preference to domestic military suppliers from a national security standpoint.

when you have people riding rail instead of using roads you make maintaining the roads cheaper.

There are cosst savings for the government for decades to come with a project like this.

I agree.
US citizen likes the idea of alternative energy jobs....you know....manufacture solar panels and 3 pane windows....as if people are aboe to and willing to spend 30K to have their homes fitted with these items.

There is no demand for expensive products now...so why spend money producing them? It will not generate sales and it will not generate sales tax revenue.

Why? Does concrete or asphalt now cost less? Then why are bridge tolls used to cover maintenance ever increasing in NYC???

Forum List

Back