SO you think nurses are just scut workers!

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
OK, so my chosen profession got a big slam by a poster on another thread. Now, tell me what's so bad about being a nurse? The inference that the only thing a woman could do in the 60s was to be a teacher, a nurse, or an entertainer. And that was/is a bad thing.

I supported my family well on my nurse pay and that was before I became and NP. Here is a site that shows what nurses pay is by location. Read it and weep. What else can you do for which the minimal requirement is 2 years of college before you make $40 - $80,000? Registered Nurse Salary - RN Salaries - Nursing Salary Data - PayScale

I went for the bachelor's to start with, but I worked the units for years. As an NP, I make six figures and my pay is on the low end of the NP pay scale because I work in psychiatry. That's just the breaks. My specialty is what I like. Even psychiatrists are lower paid than other MDs. One notable psychiatrist speculates that the reason is the stigma of mental illness being imputed to the providers.

NPs are independent practitioners in many areas of the country and that is getting ready to expand greatly. We ARE underpaid given that what we do is exaclty what the MD does, if you think, of course, that the MD pay is fair. I am happy with what I make and never hassle my boss or complain about my pay. My case load has never been weeded out to give me easy patients. I think that the lower pay will increase in time. A nurse will become a corporate executive much more quickly than the business major. Anyone who thinks that MDs hover around hospitals all day to tell us what to do is delusional. The hosptials are run by the nurses. Your life is saved by your nurse while your doctor runs patients through his clinic like cattle so he can make money. But the money is dwindling and many men are going into other fields. It will be the nurses who save the health care system.

I discovered when I was teaching that the number of men going into nursing is increasing. I have had students, male and female, who had degrees in other fields who came to nursnig school in order to support their families. Isn't that telling!

Now, it galls me for someone who doesn't even have the common sense to download an online spell checker or learn how to use capital letters on the keyboard to put nurses down the way the person did. Is it any wonder that we don't have enough nurses. People who listen to her kind of bullshit about the imagined subordinate status of the RN will choose far less lucrative and satisfying fields only to wonder why they can't afford to eat. Of course, that person doesn't have the common sense to know what all nurses have to know, so she would deliver a put down like that from the welfare line! Just remember her when you go to the hospital and it is short staffed and frantic due to the shortage of nurses. You will oww her the 'high five' on that one just because she makes sure that women think the profession is beneath them!

Last edited:
Every time I see a nurse, I make a habit of saying, "thank you for being a nurse." You should see the smiles and hear the comments. They tell me they are so unaccustomed to hearing that; rather often, just the opposite. I love to thank nurses, and soldiers.

Maybe it's the color of the crocs you wear?
J/K
I am extremely familiar with the nursing profession because of my husband's profession.

I don't know what post you are referring to, but maybe they were talking about CNAs or MAs...the ones that do the actual scut work.

My only issue with nurses is the shortage of them, that our colleges aren't putting out enough of them and we have to import them from the Philippines.

as you wish, although i thought a tissue would be sufficient.

Orville the orderly will be called to administer your enema! :badgrin:

*shrug*

whatever floats your boat

Don't cry for ME, Argentina! I get paid exceedingly well! I just dread what years I have left, knowing I am already sick, and there not being enough nurses to give good quality care. You will learn. One day!

J/K
I am extremely familiar with the nursing profession because of my husband's profession.

I don't know what post you are referring to, but maybe they were talking about CNAs or MAs...the ones that do the actual scut work.

My only issue with nurses is the shortage of them, that our colleges aren't putting out enough of them and we have to import them from the Philippines.

I agree. I learned a lot about that when I was teaching. The problem is that there aren't enough clinical seats to accommodate the number of people who actually want to be nurses.

Of course, I am probably the only one on here who actually READ the bill for Obama's health care reforms and know what it said about the shortage of nurses MDs. He had THAT one solved. His plan was to require EVERY hospital to be a teaching hospital for medical and nursing students. As it is right now, the fancy schmancy upper crust for profit hospitals do not provide clinical seats for students.

Of course, I will get hell for the above paragraph!

And you would be surprised at who is doing the 'scut' work these days. There was one housekeeper when I was in Vandy in October who had lost his white collar job in the recession. He called the hospital and said, 'I need a job. I will do anything. I will wipe butts. I will scrub floors. I will clean up bloody rags. Just give me a job!'

OK, so my chosen profession got a big slam by a poster on another thread. Now, tell me what's so bad about being a nurse? The inference that the only thing a woman could do in the 60s was to be a teacher, a nurse, or an entertainer. And that was/is a bad thing.

I supported my family well on my nurse pay and that was before I became and NP. Here is a site that shows what nurses pay is by location. Read it and weep. What else can you do for which the minimal requirement is 2 years of college before you make $40 - $80,000? Registered Nurse Salary - RN Salaries - Nursing Salary Data - PayScale

I went for the bachelor's to start with, but I worked the units for years. As an NP, I make six figures and my pay is on the low end of the NP pay scale because I work in psychiatry. That's just the breaks. My specialty is what I like. Even psychiatrists are lower paid than other MDs. One notable psychiatrist speculates that the reason is the stigma of mental illness being imputed to the providers.

NPs are independent practitioners in many areas of the country and that is getting ready to expand greatly. We ARE underpaid given that what we do is exaclty what the MD does, if you think, of course, that the MD pay is fair. I am happy with what I make and never hassle my boss or complain about my pay. My case load has never been weeded out to give me easy patients. I think that the lower pay will increase in time. A nurse will become a corporate executive much more quickly than the business major. Anyone who thinks that MDs hover around hospitals all day to tell us what to do is delusional. The hosptials are run by the nurses. Your life is saved by your nurse while your doctor runs patients through his clinic like cattle so he can make money. But the money is dwindling and many men are going into other fields. It will be the nurses who save the health care system.

I discovered when I was teaching that the number of men going into nursing is increasing. I have had students, male and female, who had degrees in other fields who came to nursnig school in order to support their families. Isn't that telling!

Now, it galls me for someone who doesn't even have the common sense to download an online spell checker or learn how to use capital letters on the keyboard to put nurses down the way the person did. Is it any wonder that we don't have enough nurses. People who listen to her kind of bullshit about the imagined subordinate status of the RN will choose far less lucrative and satisfying fields only to wonder why they can't afford to eat. Of course, that person doesn't have the common sense to know what all nurses have to know, so she would deliver a put down like that from the welfare line! Just remember her when you go to the hospital and it is short staffed and frantic due to the shortage of nurses. You will oww her the 'high five' on that one just because she makes sure that women think the profession is beneath them!

I wish you would link us to the thread and the poster you are talking about! Are you a demoncrap? You remember when Hilary Clinton said nurses were overpaid? I remember.

J/K

I agree. I learned a lot about that when I was teaching. The problem is that there aren't enough clinical seats to accommodate the number of people who actually want to be nurses.

Of course, I am probably the only one on here who actually READ the bill for Obama's health care reforms and know what it said about the shortage of nurses MDs. He had THAT one solved. His plan was to require EVERY hospital to be a teaching hospital for medical and nursing students. As it is right now, the fancy schmancy upper crust for profit hospitals do not provide clinical seats for students.

You mean the EVIL CORPORATE hospitals??? :D

And there is all kinds of education money there for nurses. They can get every last dime of their education paid for these days. All they have to do is contract to work for a time to 'pay back' the scholarship. That is how I got my master's and my post master's work to be an NP. Didn't pay one thin dime for it.

J/K

You mean the EVIL CORPORATE hospitals??? :D

LMAO! When I read that part of the health care bill, I could see light at the end of the tunnel. Not now, though! Not now.

Question: What do you call a nurse with dirty knees?
Answer: Head Nurse...

BOOOOOOOO! :eek:

Give punchlines for these:

What does a Charge Nurse do?

What does a Unit Manager do?

What does a DON do?

I can tell you what a ADON does ;)

I wish you would link us to the thread and the poster you are talking about! Are you a demoncrap? You remember when Hilary Clinton said nurses were overpaid? I remember.

Here you go: http://www.usmessageboard.com/4614686-post18.html

Yeah, I recall Hillary saying that. But Jenna Betts from Nashville was Bill's health care advisor. She graduated from Vanderilt where I got my master's and from the same law school I graduated from. Bill Clinton was the keynote speaker at the ANA convention in 1996, and I was there for it.

Forum List

Back