So why did the black firefighters perform poorly?

Why do you think the black firefighters performed poorly?

• A) They're probably not as smart on average

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • B) They probably didn't study as hard as the white guys

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • C) Both A & B

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • D) The white guys cheated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E) My PC indoctrination requires I see only racial bias in the exam

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
Not going to bother focusing on the talking points here, since so far everything I have read is just plain stupid.

First, the IQ of them wouldn't matter, it's memorization that would which means all they had to do was fucking study, period. Also, their training would have covered it all anyway, since that's what the stupid test was about. The simple fact is this, they either didn't study thinking they could skate by using Affirmative Action to get their position, or the training they went through didn't take and they need more anyway ....

It's pretty silly to worry about the color of the skin for the people who are saving youf fucking lives since skill and capability will actually determine if you survive, as well as them to a lesser extent. Seriously, if they can't remember their training then fuck em, I don't want them on the force even.

First, I remember reading somewhere that the test was a national test and that some of the questions on the test were not specific to their city/town. Whether they had study materials or not was not mentioned. But I did read that some questions were applicable to NYC firefighters and would not apply to New Haven.

Second, what is it with the AA speculation? I am black and I have never even thought about AA when testing/applying/interviewing for a job. I have tried to do the best that I could. That's just plain ignorant for you and others to suggest that they were banking on AA. And unless someone said that they were told that they were going to be placed higher or that someone mentioned AA to them, that shouldn't be an issue.

It was a possibility not an absolute that I offered, and I never lump "everyone" of the same type in the same categories. However, I have seen many minorities abuse AA quite often, I could to and choose not to.

As for what does and does not apply between cities, that still wouldn't make the test biased by race, now would it?

They failed to work as hard, otherwise they would've been competitive. They relied on the policy they believed would work in their favor, and past arguments had come to nothing against. Otherwise we would have go believe that this group of black guys were less intelligent than their white counterparts. I say intelligent because they were all exposed to the same work requirments, knew the nomenclature, and the standards and practices.

So.....why work very hard for something you believe you will get in any case? These black firemen believed their competition was other black guys, that the white guys would be duly discounted. And that had been the case until the white guys stood up for themselves. If the black guys had studied as hard for the exam as the white guys did the results would've been closer, avoiding a court case at the end.

But having relied on the levelling process, which that did not result, they may have begun to undo that policy and in the end black folks competing with whites will see the need to compete as equals, not presuming already having a leg up.

Why would they presume that they had a leg up here? Their scores didn't get boosted because they were black.

I don't know how the fire department works it, but I know that 30 years ago, when I took the postal exam, extra points were given for minorities and vets. Those points were added onto their score. I scored 89% and never even got an interview. My sister in law (Thai) scored lower (sans those extra points) and got a job. My brother (vet) scored lower and got a job, he's getting ready to retire from the post office now.

So at least in that case, yes the scores were boosted because of them being a minority and even more so if they were a veteran.

I have no problems with giving extra points to people who put their lives on the line for our country, but I have a great deal of problems with giving extra points to people just because they are a different race or ethnicity.

Not going to bother focusing on the talking points here, since so far everything I have read is just plain stupid.

First, the IQ of them wouldn't matter, it's memorization that would which means all they had to do was fucking study, period. Also, their training would have covered it all anyway, since that's what the stupid test was about. The simple fact is this, they either didn't study thinking they could skate by using Affirmative Action to get their position, or the training they went through didn't take and they need more anyway ....

It's pretty silly to worry about the color of the skin for the people who are saving youf fucking lives since skill and capability will actually determine if you survive, as well as them to a lesser extent. Seriously, if they can't remember their training then fuck em, I don't want them on the force even.

First, I remember reading somewhere that the test was a national test and that some of the questions on the test were not specific to their city/town. Whether they had study materials or not was not mentioned. But I did read that some questions were applicable to NYC firefighters and would not apply to New Haven.

Second, what is it with the AA speculation? I am black and I have never even thought about AA when testing/applying/interviewing for a job. I have tried to do the best that I could. That's just plain ignorant for you and others to suggest that they were banking on AA. And unless someone said that they were told that they were going to be placed higher or that someone mentioned AA to them, that shouldn't be an issue.

It was a possibility not an absolute that I offered, and I never lump "everyone" of the same type in the same categories. However, I have seen many minorities abuse AA quite often, I could to and choose not to.

As for what does and does not apply between cities, that still wouldn't make the test biased by race, now would it?

No, it doesn't. But it doesn't mean that they were hoping for AA to assist them either. And as far as minorities abusing AA, you would have to be a part of HR in order to be privileged to that information. If they didn't study, then it's their own fault. I don't think that any minority goes into a place of business thinking they have a leg up because of AA unless someone tells them that they do. I can pretty much guarantee that a minority expects to get turned down for a position more often than not.

No, it doesn't. But it doesn't mean that they were hoping for AA to assist them either. And as far as minorities abusing AA, you would have to be a part of HR in order to be privileged to that information. If they didn't study, then it's their own fault. I don't think that any minority goes into a place of business thinking they have a leg up because of AA unless someone tells them that they do. I can pretty much guarantee that a minority expects to get turned down for a position more often than not.

:eusa_eh: For a promotion you already know the HR department ... unless you worked in a cave.

I am getting sick of these false "racism" cries, so much that now I don't give a fuck, let the blacks struggle like the whites, the more they cry racism when there isn't any, the less sorry I feel for them.

:eusa_eh: For a promotion you already know the HR department ... unless you worked in a cave.

I was speaking of your experiences not the firefighters. So why would HR discuss other people's personnel files with you? :eusa_liar:

I am getting sick of these false "racism" cries, so much that now I don't give a fuck, let the blacks struggle like the whites, the more they cry racism when there isn't any, the less sorry I feel for them.

The city did this not the black firefighters. The only people crying racism are you, William Joyce and Charlie Bass. It looks like you're in good company. :thup:

The only difference I see here is Blacks are slightly ahead of whites in the dumbness quotient. What is the dumbness quotient? It is the idea and values that education doesn't matter in American because buffoons can rise to be president, CEO's, and million dollar a year crooks of all sorts. Add sports, the religion of modern America and you see that dumbness will soon make all equal all around. Hit that ball, kick that ball, throw that ball and you are on your way to stardom and riches. Or sing and dance too. Surely everyone knows a buffoon who made it, examples count here folks, pay attention, kids do.

Now for a slightly difference explanation that ties into above, ever see an inner city school. Ever watch modern American kids going to school in the inner city? The values and lifestyle and thoughts don't differ much from what I wrote above. But the conditions downright suck. And according to my wife and many other teachers of over a hundred years of experience the latest crop of students is the dumbest yet. One day watch rock of love or springer or any number of shows, or even fox pseudo news and you know we are raising a crop of dummies.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dumbing-Down-Curriculum-Compulsory-Schooling/dp/0865714487/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241441360&sr=1-14]Amazon.com: Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling: John Taylor Gatto: Books[/ame]
Dumbest Generation Home
Cover story: 'Are children getting dumber?' by Donald Hirsch | Prospect Magazine June 2009 issue 159
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dumbest-Generation-Stupefies-Americans-Jeopardizes/dp/1585426393]Amazon.com: The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future (Or, Don't Trust Anyone Under 30): Mark Bauerlein: Books[/ame]

Fact:

Black firefighters did in fact pass the tests, its just that out of those that did pass none would have been selected for captain. Its not like this kind of stuff happens all the time.

Jackass, the only ones who cried racism were the white firefighters, not blacks so what are you going on about?

Your “The Bell Curve” book has been largely debunked.

No, it hasn't. The core idea that intelligence is more influenced by INHERITANCE than ENVIRONMENT is rock-solid. The "debunking" of the Bell Curve is hysterical politics, not sound science.

Stalking the Wild Taboo - WSJ Statement on The Bell Curve

Yes, it has. Readers who accept The Bell Curve as tough-minded and realistic, and who assume that all criticism of it is ignorant and ideologically motivated, are not as far removed from Plato's cave as they might think.

The Bell Curve Flattened - By Nicholas Lemann - Slate Magazine

Your “The Bell Curve” book has been largely debunked.

No, it hasn't. The core idea that intelligence is more influenced by INHERITANCE than ENVIRONMENT is rock-solid. The "debunking" of the Bell Curve is hysterical politics, not sound science.

Stalking the Wild Taboo - WSJ Statement on The Bell Curve

A Review of the Bell Curve: Bad Science Makes for Bad Conclusions

A Review of the Bell Curve: Bad Science Makes for Bad Conclusions

The Quaker Economist #83 - Criticism of The Bell Curve

Criticism of The Bell Curve

Racism Resurgent

How Media Let The Bell Curve's Pseudo-Science Define the Agenda on Race

I could go on and on but I have other things to do - so you just go ahead and cling to your precious debunked book.

I could go on and on but I have other things to do - so you just go ahead and cling to your precious debunked book.

You're citing me the Quakers and a Slate writer as a debunking of the Bell Curve? By the way... check out what William Saletan, another writer for Slate, has to say on this issue... not happy, matt!

If you have other things to do, check out these books, all of which support the Bell Curve:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Global-Bell-Curve-Inequality-Worldwide/dp/1593680287]Amazon.com: The Global Bell Curve: Race, IQ, and Inequality Worldwide: Richard Lynn: Books[/ame]

Arthur Jensen Replies to Steven Jay Gould

VDARE.com: 04/23/06 - Lynn's Race Differences in Intelligence: PC Won't Make Them Go Away

The bottom line is that people like you aren't "open minded" -- you're as close-minded as they come... you're just DEATHLY AFRAID of the notion that races differ in intelligence!

THAT's what's "clung to"!

Don't you think it's funny, oh center-of-the-roader, that both liberals and conservatives are equally afraid of this issue?

Last edited:

You're citing me the Quakers and a Slate writer as a debunking of the Bell Curve? By the way... check out what William Saletan, another writer for Slate, has to say on this issue... not happy, matt!

If you have other things to do, check out these books, all of which support the Bell Curve:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Global-Bell-Curve-Inequality-Worldwide/dp/1593680287]Amazon.com: The Global Bell Curve: Race, IQ, and Inequality Worldwide: Richard Lynn: Books[/ame]

Arthur Jensen Replies to Steven Jay Gould

VDARE.com: 04/23/06 - Lynn's Race Differences in Intelligence: PC Won't Make Them Go Away

The bottom line is that people like you aren't "open minded" -- you're as close-minded as they come... you're just DEATHLY AFRAID of the notion that races differ in intelligence!

THAT's what's "clung to"!

Don't you think it's funny, oh center-of-the-roader, that both liberals and conservatives are equally afraid of this issue?

I am not close-minded. It would take a totally controlled study – an experiment in which from birth to death large populations from each race had their experiences identical and totally controlled – every minute of every day. Then we would know for certain to what degree, if any, IQ differences between races are due to genetics or experience. Until then, it is my opinion that, except in rare cases such as mental retardation, IQ differences are due to environment. So me such an experiment and I will concede otherwise.

I wonder. What do you attribute to differences in IQ scores between European people and oriental people? Are European people genetically intellectually inferior to people of the orient - or is the difference due to upbringing?

It would take a totally controlled study – an experiment in which from birth to death large populations from each race had their experiences identical and totally controlled – every minute of every day. Then we would know for certain to what degree, if any, IQ differences between races are due to genetics or experience.

By this standard, no science could ever occur because no study can be controlled to this extent.

Forum List

Back