So who's watching Obama speak?

Wow AP actually does fact check the speech:

FACT CHECK: Examining Obama's job, pork claims - Yahoo! News

FACT CHECK: Examining Obama's job, pork claims

By CALVIN WOODWARD, Associated Press Writer
Tue Feb 10, 4:05 am ET
WASHINGTON – At least Route 31 is a road to somewhere. President Barack Obama had it both ways when he promoted his stimulus plan in Indiana and later at a prime-time news conference. He bragged in Indiana about getting Congress to produce a package with no pork, yet boasted it will do good things for a Hoosier highway and a downtown overpass, just the kind of local projects lawmakers lard into big spending bills...

THE FACTS: There are no "earmarks," as they are usually defined, inserted by lawmakers in the bill. Still, some of the projects bear the prime characteristics of pork — tailored to benefit specific interests or to have thinly disguised links to local projects...

THE FACTS: Job creation projections are uncertain even in stable times, and some of the economists relied on by Obama in making his forecast acknowledge a great deal of uncertainty in their numbers...

THE FACTS: The economic stimulus bill would allocate about $20 billion to help hospitals and doctors transition from paper charts to electronic health records for their patients. Research has shown that in some instances, electronic record keeping can eliminate inappropriate services and improve care, but it's not a sure thing by any means. "By itself, the adoption of more health IT is generally not sufficient to produce significant cost savings," the Congressional Budget Office reported last year...

THE FACTS: Two of his appointees, former Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle for health and human services secretary and Nancy Killefer as Obama's chief compliance officer, dropped out after reports they had not paid a portion of their taxes.

Obama previously acknowledged he "screwed up" in making it seem to Americans that there is one set of tax compliance rules for VIPs and another set for everyone else. Yet his choice for treasury secretary, Timothy Geithner, achieved the post despite having belatedly paid $34,000 to the IRS, an agency Geithner now oversees.

That could leave the perception that there is one set of rules for Geithner and another set for everyone else....

OBAMA: "We also inherited the most profound economic emergency since the Great Depression."

THE FACTS: This could turn out to be the case. But as bad as the economic numbers are, the unemployment figures have not reached the levels of the early 1980s, let alone the 1930s — yet. A total of 598,000 payroll jobs vanished in January — the most in nearly 35 years — and the unemployment rate jumped to 7.6 from 7.2 percent the month before. The most recent high was 7.8 percent in June 1992.

And the jobless rate was 10.8 percent in November and December 1982. Unemployment in the Great Depression ranged for several years from 25 percent to close to 30 percent.

I've heard snippets of it on various news shows.

I'm trying to find it text right now.

So far it's not showing up.

The funny thing about Republicans is that they will campaign on shrinking government spending while they really mean they will shrink social spending. They almost always out spend the Dems when in office. Trouble is, they spend on things that turn out to be a waste...like wars that aren't needed, rebuilding foreign countries resulting in waging wars that aren't needed, etc.

Spending isn't a bad thing, it is what you spend it on that can be a bad thing.

I'm no Obama fan but I must say he is an excellent and articulate speaker. He didn't sell me on the trillion dollar bailout plan but he is a natural politician. Anyone notice how he blamed the previous administration for the economic crisis but said nothing about the Bush administration when he was talking about the success in Iraq?

When did we lower our standards to "ahh ahh ahhhh ahhh" "aaaaaaaaaannnnnnd" ?

The simple fact is President Hussein could have squatted behind the podium and took a shit and this sychophant would be in here telling us sweet it smells and what great texture the President exudes...

No, that brain dead is more your special ownership. I guess you think Bush was a great speaker and president.

Do you ever converse in any kind of adult and rational manner?

It really bothers you that the majority of Americans are not behind your conservative agenda, doesn't it?

I think we are seeing Obama's true place in government.

He is the door to door salesman for the Reid, Pelosi and Frank klan who are set on doing what they wish.

They have a snake oil salesman and now they have control of the votes.

Bend over America your so called rights will be extracted slowly and painfully.

It was refreshing to hear a President for a change and a person who could address the issues intelligently. Good show, should make Americans proud.

He does realize he won right? Or is it he needs applause all the time? Come on now we are paying him to fix it not prance around the country telling us how bad our economy sucks yeah we know already. He has been telling us how he wants to fix it. It is not us he needs to convince it is congress.

I am over the pretty speeches I want to see some action not more lip action blah blah blah get to work already.

My, my. Well, I saw a serious man addressing serious issues in an intelligent manner. He spoke well, addressed the issues, and did not slaughter the language. His sentences were well structured, with coherent logic. A real change, considering the last President.

Well by all means lets stand up and applaud he speaks well. He is saying the same Ole things over and over and over and over and over when do we get over it and insist he actually DO something not just hand us a bunch of empty promises and pretty speeches.

He does manage to say nothing - and say it well.

It's the actual results of his leadership I am concerned over.

Just had a conversation with someone who said much the same as those within this post - "Oh, such a nice thing to see a President who can speak so well."

I then asked them what he said.

" Well he said that we can't just wait around or things will get a lot worse."

Ok - so how is Obama specifically working to change that? What specifics did he give last night during his press conference?

"I don't know. It just sounded good and that's a nice change."

And there you have it...

May I pose a question? Of course. How are we to measure 'Create OR save 4 million jobs?' No matter if we lose another X million, he can claim they did SAVE 4 million, that WOULD HAVE BEEN LOST if not for spending more than a trillion dollars?

He would say: i saved 4 million union jobs and Detroit.

He won't say: we lost 5 million or more.

Sealybobo would say: It's government spending, stupid.

RayBoy would say: I let him do my thinking because i can't think for myself. Let what government can do for you. Let government hold your hand.

Last edited:

Just had a conversation with someone who said much the same as those within this post - "Oh, such a nice thing to see a President who can speak so well."

Ok - so how is Obama specifically working to change that? What specifics did he give last night during his press conference?

And there you have it...

If i said A-Rod was the worst baseball player in the world, he becomes a free agent, then i signed him. This is what i get with Obama. He talked a lot about President Bush failed economic policy. Yet when Bush propose a billion $$$+++ bailout of Wall Street, he voted with him. If Bush failed before, why vote for another failed one later? It's like knowing a lady has herpes, you don't want to have herpes, but you have unprotected sex with her and get herpes.

And there you have it...

If i said A-Rod was the worst baseball player in the world, he becomes a free agent, then i signed him. This is what i get with Obama. He talked a lot about President Bush failed economic policy. Yet when Bush propose a billion $$$+++ bailout of Wall Street, he voted with him. If Bush failed before, why vote for another failed one later? It's like knowing a lady has herpes, you don't want to have herpes, but you have unprotected sex with her and get herpes.

Yikes. Brutal - but effective!

Forum List

Back