so... who believes the world is going to end in 2012?

Well.. do you?

• Yes

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 83.9%

• Total voters
Destroying the Earth is harder than you may have been led to believe.

You've seen the action movies where the bad guy threatens to destroy the Earth. You've heard people on the news claiming that the next nuclear war or cutting down rainforests or persisting in releasing hideous quantities of pollution into the atmosphere threatens to end the world.

Fools.

The Earth is built to last. It is a 4,550,000,000-year-old, 5,973,600,000,000,000,000,000-tonne ball of iron. It has taken more devastating asteroid hits in its lifetime than you've had hot dinners, and lo, it still orbits merrily. So my first piece of advice to you, dear would-be Earth-destroyer, is: do NOT think this will be easy.

How to destroy the Earth @ Things Of Interest

:cool:

Last edited:
On 12/21/12, 6 + billion nervous systems will say WTF!.....there will be a millisecond 'Whoosh!' sucking sound, and then............silence...
Well, so much for all-knowing 'intelligence'.

On 12/21/12, 6 + billion nervous systems will say WTF!.....there will be a millisecond 'Whoosh!' sucking sound, and then............silence...

This is the way the world ends?

If we're going to go, I prefer to think we'll go with a bang.

A bang may or may not precede the 'whooosh', or maybe it'll come afterwards :lol:.

** tentatively raises hand **
:redface:

Got to dance with me first...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thMm-7RFsm0]YouTube - Its The End Of The World As We Know It - by R.E.M.[/ame]

** tentatively raises hand **
:redface:

Got to dance with me first...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thMm-7RFsm0"]YouTube - Its The End Of The World As We Know It - by R.E.M.[/ame]
Dinner?

4635243218_17d0bf5596.jpg

The world cannot end in 2012. I have given this a lot of thought and I just know I will die the absolute perfect death.

Shot in the back at the age of 99, by a jealous 19 year old husband.

"Birth was the death of him." Samuel Beckett

I voted yes because our votes will really really matter! ;) Sadly as someone noted the world will end for many as it does every second of every day. As for me I will live forever and so far so good. But you can check here: The Death Clock - When Am I Going To Die?

"However, the complexity of our civilisation means noboby can predict with certainty what the consequences of its collapse will be. Extinction of a species numbering nearly 7 billion may seem unlikely. But if biology teaches us anything it is that complexity contains tipping points that can be terrifyingly quick. In the 1800s, anyone watching a single flock of 2 billion passenger pigeons go by would have laughed if you said the bird would be extinct in a century."

"To die is different from what anyone supposed, and luckier." Whitman

Short Sharp Science: The end of the human race is nigh, maybe

"Human death does, however, differ crucially from the death of other things. Most humans have self-reflexive consciousness, and most self-reflexively conscious beings regard death as a loss of supreme possessions: awareness and agency. It is not that most humans, if they thought about it, would wish to live forever, at least in this world; Shaw's Methuselah suggests that endless existence would be intolerable. Rather, it is that death comes too soon for most of us, before our interest in the world, and in those we care about, is exhausted."

The Last Word on Death

I voted yes, but only for this reason:L

One day, one of these predictions will be right.

So I'm being the blind squirrel until then, or until I'm gone. Whichever is first :)

Forum List

Back