So What's Wrong With Racism?

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by William Joyce, Jan 14, 2008.

1. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Hillary is a racist, Biden is a racist, RP is a racist... so they say these days. But what exactly is the factual or moral problem here? What is it that "racists" think, say or do that is not based on facts or morality?

2. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    it is to vague of a term, there are many degrees and forms of racism or prejudice some are clearly wrong and illegal, others are illogical and fear based, some are in generalized terms valid while others are no more than cultural pride and preservation

3. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,047
    Racism was used to violently suppress the rights of individuals under the belief that those of a different race are inherently inferior. It is still a sensitive topic today because

a.) there are still people who believe it
    b.) systematic racism exists, manifesting in all sorts of areas such as prison sentences to loan applications
    c.) the institutional memory is still vivid, given that just 40 years ago, people could get away with horrific crimes. The state of Mississippi had a secret police of sorts that spied on blacks and wasn't abolished until 1975.

There is benign racism and malicious racism. Benign racism is racism that is not intended to be malicious, such as Reggie White saying Asians are inherently intuitive because they can turn a television into a watch. Malicious racism is when people believe that they are superior to others because of race. Malicious racists are brain-dead redneck morons.

4. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    all true but we need to also recognize there can also be the brain dead sophisticated and refined or yellow necks ,black necks ,wetbacks etc etc. lets not put it all on trucker hat wearing pick -up truck drivers ..how about malicious racists are brain-dead

5. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Racism is drawing negative inferences about people solely based on the color of their skin and using power to discriminate against people against whom those negative inferences are drawn.

Neither Hillary nor Biden is racist. Paul just hangs out with them and has no issues addressing them and taking their money.

If you don't have the moral center to understand why racism is wrong, I'd suggest that's a far larger question that would require a more complex answer than could be gotten on a messageboard.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    To do a little thieving of another man's words ... it judges people by the color of their skin and not the content of their character.

Which is stupid.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,289
    And the proof of this statement is?

8. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,358
    A lie. And at best, a completely unsubstantiated claim.

He addressed it. You're just not satisfied, while many other non-racists are.

9. Angel Heart

Angel Heart Conservative Hippie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    It's judging someone one by something they have no choice over. I had no choice that I was born what color or sex I was born. However, I do judge on how they carry themselves. If someone dresses like a gang banger, I'll treat them as a gang banger. If they act like an upstanding member of society, I'll treat them as such. Doesn't matter they color of their skin. I've seen good and bad in all colors. It isn't something reserved for one race over another.

10. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I don't see a Constitutional imperative for government to address the personal opinions of it's citizens as long as equal application of liberty, as guarenteed by the Constitution, is maintained.

the gorvernment has jurisdiction in public schools and colleges not private business. There will never be a white president of the NAACP. Why is this not racism since a white orgainizations doing the same thing for the exact same reasons is? Equal application of Constitutional liberty should replace quotas.