So what's this "eye of a needle" business

tyroneweaver

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2012
Burley, Idaho
seems any smart one would have knocked that arch bigger rather than making a camel like some strange monkey get down and crawl thru it
seems making a camel get down and crawl threw this so called needle would be like putting a milker on a springer heifer

Your Interpretation:

At night cities closed their gates for protection. If you reached the gate after it had been closed you could still enter the city through a narrow gap in the wall. The eye of the needle. It was just wide enough for a camel, but not one laden with baggage. The baggage had to be removed, the camel walked through, then the man had to go back out and carry his belongings in, and reload the camel. The rich, having lots of possessions, found it more difficult to get through the eye. Not impossible, just more difficult.

As if anything would be impossible for God, if God were to be truly God.
What limit do you want to put on God?
Could God, for instance, forgive Hitler? Stalin? Pol Pot?
So much talk about God, so little thought.

You're right. Sorry about that.
When talking about the eye of the needle it takes me to Christ and the rich man. Since a camel can't fit through what we think of as the eye of an actual needle, some people believe that the rich can't enter Heaven. But the reference refers to the gap in the wall of the city, and the rich certainly can enter.
One follower of Christ was the richest man on earth at the time, and Christ never told him to give away a dime.
^ See? I did it again.
To answer your question, the reason it was so narrow was to prevent invaders with weapon from waltzing right in and attacking. :)

I heard a person stay that 'camel' is a mistranslation. It should be 'rope' as translated from Aramiac. So basically the same as The Irish Ram's #3 post. One must unravel the rope to get it through the eye of the needle.

The camel and the eye of the needle Hebrew NT Application - Biblical Hebrew
Makes sense in Aramaic
An alternative linguistic explanation is taken from George M Lamsa's Syriac-Aramaic Peshitta translation2 which has the word 'rope' in the main text but a footnote on Matthew 19:24 which states that the Aramaic word gamla means rope and camel, possibly because the ropes were made from camel hair. Evidence for this also comes from the 10th century Aramaic lexicographer Mar Bahlul who gives the meaning as a "a large rope used to bind ships". (cf. http://www.aramaicnt.org/HTML/LUKE/evidences/Camel.html)
If anyone is interested in a Interlinear Aramaic-English NT look up Glenn David Baushcher. I have his Torah translation and some stuff is very eye opening. (see what I did there? ;) )

Last edited:
As if anything would be impossible for God, if God were to be truly God.
What limit do you want to put on God?
Could God, for instance, forgive Hitler? Stalin? Pol Pot?
So much talk about God, so little thought.

and when's the last time you beat your wife.
Made about as much sense

I heard a person stay that 'camel' is a mistranslation. It should be 'rope' as translated from Aramiac. So basically the same as The Irish Ram's #3 post. One must unravel the rope to get it through the eye of the needle.

The camel and the eye of the needle Hebrew NT Application - Biblical Hebrew
Makes sense in Aramaic
An alternative linguistic explanation is taken from George M Lamsa's Syriac-Aramaic Peshitta translation2 which has the word 'rope' in the main text but a footnote on Matthew 19:24 which states that the Aramaic word gamla means rope and camel, possibly because the ropes were made from camel hair. Evidence for this also comes from the 10th century Aramaic lexicographer Mar Bahlul who gives the meaning as a "a large rope used to bind ships". (cf. http://www.aramaicnt.org/HTML/LUKE/evidences/Camel.html)
If anyone is interested in a Interlinear Aramaic-English NT look up Glenn David Baushcher. I have his Torah translation and some stuff is very eye opening. (see what I did there? ;) )
ya something about komelin or komelon
easier to put a rope thru a needle seems to make more sense

The answer is in the context. The Aramaic cord leaves no room for entry. And the promise of heaven is closed to the one who calls the doctrine in the Koran false doctrine.

On the other hand, the term eye of the needle was a common Jewish one. Kind of like, "It'll be a cold day in hell before...". The possibility isn't removed completely, but it's access has become more difficult.
And in Mark, and Matthew and Luke, the conversation took place after a rich man walked away from Christ, choosing his wealth instead.

Forum List

Back