So what's the count Tens, Hundreds, Millions?

"...Huge crowd, yes. But not two million. Even DeMint has now changed his first boast on this. Malkin is wrong because the police do not give estimates.

We were there and have seen a lot of crowds on the mall for inaugurations, July 4th festivities, marches, etc. Two million would not fit on the Mall in its two mile stretch.

Best estimate from experience? - 200,000 plus. For those familiar with the Capital and the Mall, the crowd filled the Capital west lawn, the area around the Grant reflecting pool, and west to Fourth street. It started encroaching on another group’s permit west of the Grant statue. It could be another 100,000 to 200,000 because they were forced to spread out along the sides of the rally because of the permit limits and the loudspeakers’ range.

It was a very large crowd, far beyond expectations, but too many groups inflate the numbers (mostly libs). It was NOT “tens of thousands” as the CNN NBC crowd are trying to say, but more like hundreds of thousands. BTW, the DC or Park Police do NOT make estimates, so anyone saying so is wrong.

Not bad for a rally organized by amateurs with no coordinating megalith like unions or the NAACP. Just real people. Almost ALL of the thousands of signs were handmade, not the fancy pre-printed ones handed out by liberal groups like MoveOn and SEIU.

I posted this on earlier threads. Now reports coming out are backing up my estimate. 200,000 (up to 400,000 because many were off to the side in the nether reaches of the Capitol lawn) is a HUGE number - four full Yankee Stadiums. Let’s not get carried away with the 2 million claim and give the left an opportunity to refute everything else.

And it was true grass roots. Almost ALL the signs were handmade, not the product of SEIU and DNC printing presses that characterize liberal rallies."

Celebrating the 9/12 rallies-TURNOUT EST RANGE FROM 350K (liberal) TO 2 MILLION (conservative)

It wasn't 2 million, it wasn't 200,000 plus based on the official reports, and it wasn't entirely grassroots. Just because you say it is grassroots, doesn't make it true.

"...Huge crowd, yes. But not two million. Even DeMint has now changed his first boast on this. Malkin is wrong because the police do not give estimates.

We were there and have seen a lot of crowds on the mall for inaugurations, July 4th festivities, marches, etc. Two million would not fit on the Mall in its two mile stretch.

Best estimate from experience? - 200,000 plus. For those familiar with the Capital and the Mall, the crowd filled the Capital west lawn, the area around the Grant reflecting pool, and west to Fourth street. It started encroaching on another group’s permit west of the Grant statue. It could be another 100,000 to 200,000 because they were forced to spread out along the sides of the rally because of the permit limits and the loudspeakers’ range.

It was a very large crowd, far beyond expectations, but too many groups inflate the numbers (mostly libs). It was NOT “tens of thousands” as the CNN NBC crowd are trying to say, but more like hundreds of thousands. BTW, the DC or Park Police do NOT make estimates, so anyone saying so is wrong.

Not bad for a rally organized by amateurs with no coordinating megalith like unions or the NAACP. Just real people. Almost ALL of the thousands of signs were handmade, not the fancy pre-printed ones handed out by liberal groups like MoveOn and SEIU.

I posted this on earlier threads. Now reports coming out are backing up my estimate. 200,000 (up to 400,000 because many were off to the side in the nether reaches of the Capitol lawn) is a HUGE number - four full Yankee Stadiums. Let’s not get carried away with the 2 million claim and give the left an opportunity to refute everything else.

And it was true grass roots. Almost ALL the signs were handmade, not the product of SEIU and DNC printing presses that characterize liberal rallies."

Celebrating the 9/12 rallies-TURNOUT EST RANGE FROM 350K (liberal) TO 2 MILLION (conservative)

It wasn't 2 million, it wasn't 200,000 plus based on the official reports, and it wasn't entirely grassroots. Just because you say it is grassroots, doesn't make it true.
C'mon...do it again. Tell us what the count was for the protest today in the District.

Come on people. Give Republicans a break. We know they don't like science or education. Tens of thousands or tens of millions. It's "a lot". Just leave it at that. Anything more than a hundred is a debate.

Come on people. Give Republicans a break. We know they don't like science or education. Tens of thousands or tens of millions. It's "a lot". Just leave it at that. Anything more than a hundred is a debate.

yeah not that you know anything, fuckstain.

Link, visual aid, mathmatical formula, anything to back up your claim?

Ya know cockbag, for someone who continually likes to rail on how uneducated conservatives and Republicans are, you're one of the dumber posters here on USMB.

What do you have a degree in?

oh my favorite little dipshit, just cause you say it ain't true doesn't make it false,,

Crowd ESTIMATES vary.

Twitter / Tabitha Hale: Okay people. The 2 mil # w ...

But if the 2 million figure (more folks participating than the number who crowded the streets of DC for President Obama's inauguration) is too high, which official DC estimate is more reasonable?

1.2 million (the Metro police estimate) or 1.5 million (the DC Parks and Recreation estimate)?

Or maybe it's all just too silly.

If it was only 200,000, that's still a damn fine turnout.

The effort to minimize the numbers is a liberal Democrat game. Efforts to over-state the number are also often politically motivated from the opposing side of the political spectrum.

But I still tend to believe that the crowd was QUITE large because I saw the video.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I just heard on the television that there were close to 15,000 people packed insode the arena at the Obama speech in Minnesota. I also heard that there is a mile in between the Washington Monument and the Capitol and that the entire mile was packed with people protesting in D.C. today. So is you can shove 15,000 people in a sports arena that might at best be a block square, how many people can you fit in a mile?

How many meters in a mile?
How wide is the street? 75 to 100 feet?
With the formula in the link I posted using the heaviest density of 4 and 6 people per square meter the number comes to 200 to 300 thousand.
From the photos it doesn't look like they are that packed in so go for 2 or 3 people per square meter and you come up with 100 to 150 thousand.
That's assuming it is a mile between the Capitol and the White House.
And I used the best case scenario for you righties.

Not nearly the two million as claimed.

Last edited:
The 60 - 70 thousand number is not at all credible. LP Field ( Titan's stadium ) holds just under 69,000 people. Looking at the westwood one pic on Sinatra's link there is no way in hell that you could fit that crowd into LP Field. The OP and Bobby need to check back in on reality.

The only somewhat credible report I saw was 60 to 70 thousand by the DC fire Dept.

Protest Crowd Size Estimate Falsely Attributed to ABC News - ABC News

This doesn't look like 60 or 70 K to me--:lol:

$2 million tea-partiers.jpg

From a Fox News article posted yesterday:

Tea Party Rally Sparks Dispute Over Potential Turnout

A House leadership aide warned fellow Democrats in a memo obtained by FOXNews.com that up to 2 million people may attend.But conservatives believe Democrats are playing an expectations game to claim the event was a failure.

FOXNews.com
Friday, September 11, 2009

"It looks like Saturday's event is going to be a huge gathering, estimates ranging from hundreds of thousands to 2 million people," Doug Thornell, an aide to Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., wrote, noting that a demonstration held Thursday turned into an impromptu rally for Rep. Joe Wilson, who has come under fire for his outburst during Obama's nationally televised speech to a joint session of Congress

Conservatives have seized on this memo as proof Democrats are playing an expectations game. They say the House leadership wrote the memo in hopes it would be leaked and inflate expectations for the turnout anticipating that it will fall short.

"It's an old political tactic to get out in front and make wild projections and when they're not met, claim their opponents don't have the juice," said Pete Sepp, a spokesman for the National Taxpayers Union, one of the organizers of the rally.

Sepp said there's only one reason to float a number that high.

"You set the bar at 2 million and anything under it becomes a failure," he said, adding that any event in D.C. that attracts 50,000 is considered a success."

Tea Party Rally Sparks Dispute Over Potential Turnout - Political News - FOXNews.com

Nice try.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Vel

What it was and wasn't nobody knows right now. Neither do you, so stop acting like your the offcial counting monitor. :cuckoo:

Hmmm. I just heard on the television that there were close to 15,000 people packed insode the arena at the Obama speech in Minnesota. I also heard that there is a mile in between the Washington Monument and the Capitol and that the entire mile was packed with people protesting in D.C. today. So is you can shove 15,000 people in a sports arena that might at best be a block square, how many people can you fit in a mile?

How many meters in a mile?
How wide is the street? 75 to 100 feet?
With the formula in the link I posted using the heaviest density of 4 and 6 people per square meter the number comes to 200 to 300 thousand.
From the photos it doesn't look like they are that packed in so go for 2 or 3 people per square meter and you come up with 100 to 150 thousand.
That's assuming it is a mile between the Capitol and the White House.
And I used the best case scenario for you righties.

Not nearly the two million as claimed.

1.3 MILLION came from the D.C. POLICE--& 2 MILLION came from ABC news. Have you been taking your math lessons from Obama?--:lol:

From a Fox News article posted yesterday:

Tea Party Rally Sparks Dispute Over Potential Turnout

A House leadership aide warned fellow Democrats in a memo obtained by FOXNews.com that up to 2 million people may attend.But conservatives believe Democrats are playing an expectations game to claim the event was a failure.

FOXNews.com
Friday, September 11, 2009

"It looks like Saturday's event is going to be a huge gathering, estimates ranging from hundreds of thousands to 2 million people," Doug Thornell, an aide to Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., wrote, noting that a demonstration held Thursday turned into an impromptu rally for Rep. Joe Wilson, who has come under fire for his outburst during Obama's nationally televised speech to a joint session of Congress

Conservatives have seized on this memo as proof Democrats are playing an expectations game. They say the House leadership wrote the memo in hopes it would be leaked and inflate expectations for the turnout anticipating that it will fall short.

"It's an old political tactic to get out in front and make wild projections and when they're not met, claim their opponents don't have the juice," said Pete Sepp, a spokesman for the National Taxpayers Union, one of the organizers of the rally.

Sepp said there's only one reason to float a number that high.

"You set the bar at 2 million and anything under it becomes a failure," he said, adding that any event in D.C. that attracts 50,000 is considered a success."

Tea Party Rally Sparks Dispute Over Potential Turnout - Political News - FOXNews.com

Nice try.

Yep--it was democrats that were saying 2 million would show up. According to this aerial shot--it looks like they might have been FINALLY right about something--:lol:

$2 million tea-partiers.jpg

NOTE--that where the shot is--I don't know how far this is from the main gathering--but someone on this thread knows D.C. fairly well--& should comment. It looks like the protestors are blocks long.

Last edited:
The 60 - 70 thousand number is not at all credible. LP Field ( Titan's stadium ) holds just under 69,000 people. Looking at the westwood one pic on Sinatra's link there is no way in hell that you could fit that crowd into LP Field. The OP and Bobby need to check back in on reality.

A question followed by a link is not real? Hell I even did the math for you.

Freeper links don't count.

Last edited:
Yep--it was democrats that were saying 2 million would show up. According to this aerial shot--it looks like they might have been FINALLY right about something--:lol:

View attachment 8096

They keep posting the same picture from what I can see. If you truly believe 2 million people showed up, you need to get out. That would be assuming in those pictures vs the ones from when Obama was sworn in that more people showed up today. That didn't happen. At least Sinatra was being reasonable, people like you are bullshitting so very much.

Forum List

Back