So What's Next?

Vel

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
Tennessee
I think I'm going to make up my own new religion. :lol:

Judge Says NC School Can't Bar Girl Over Pierced Nose

RALEIGH, N.C. (Oct.8) - A federal judge ordered a North Carolina school to admit a 14-year-old high school student suspended for wearing a nose piercing she says is part of her religion, and the teenager was on her way to science class Friday afternoon, her attorney said.

The Iaconos belong to a small religious group called the Church of Body Modification, which sees piercings and tattoos as religious devotion. The church has 3,500 members nationwide and was incorporated in Pennsylvania in July 2008, according to the lawsuit.

Judge Says NC School Can't Bar Ariana Iacono Over Her Nose Piercing

I have a religion.

It consists of daily sacraments of Double Cappuccino with an occasional sacrifice to the Chocolate God.

Well now I know how to keep the electric company from trying to chop down my trees. I'll just join a Celtic tree worshiping church. My baby oak trees just became sacred. :)

Well now I know how to keep the electric company from trying to chop down my trees. I'll just join a Celtic tree worshiping church. My baby oak trees just became sacred. :)

You still fighting that war Vel? I figured they would have given up by now.

You still fighting that war Vel? I figured they would have given up by now.

We finally came to a compromise. I gave up some of the hardwoods ( a few hackberries and a burdock ) but managed to get a written statement saying that everything else out there was not ever subject to clear cutting. I'm not happy about it, but for the moment it was the best I could do. I did however, get with my state representative who is working on legislation to stop the eminent domain abuse and to make them define easements after subdivisions are built. If I can take their blanket easements away from them, I'll consider it a victory. Thanks for your advice. It helped me save 75% of what I had.

Glad the advice was somewhat useful...I have a feeling the co-op is going to wish they had left your hardwoods alone. :thup:

Church of Body Modification
I'm not so sure that this is a bona fide religion -- not meaning to judge their faith good vs bad -- only in the sense that it actually is a religion, of which I am not at all convinced -- and the correct legal term for such would be religio licita, not in the sense of an "approved" religion, but something that actually is a religion as it is claimed to be, of which, again, I am not so sure.

Some girls of Hindu faith have their noses pierced as part of their faith or belief, but other girls may just think it's pretty and catches the eye of boys.

So What's Next?

That was a company that Steve Jobs founded, after he was forced out of Apple. This company built and sold a line of computers that, in my opinion, were way ahead of their time. Alas, they never really sold very well. NeXT ported the operating system to run on PC-type hardware, but that never really went anywhere either. Eventually, what remained of NeXT was bought up by Apple, with Steve Jobs returning to his position as Apple's CEO in the deal. NeXT's OS became the basis for MacOS X, the successor to the previous Macintosh operating system that was becoming badly-outdated.

I think I'm going to make up my own new religion. :lol:

Judge Says NC School Can't Bar Girl Over Pierced Nose

RALEIGH, N.C. (Oct.8) - A federal judge ordered a North Carolina school to admit a 14-year-old high school student suspended for wearing a nose piercing she says is part of her religion, and the teenager was on her way to science class Friday afternoon, her attorney said.

The Iaconos belong to a small religious group called the Church of Body Modification, which sees piercings and tattoos as religious devotion. The church has 3,500 members nationwide and was incorporated in Pennsylvania in July 2008, according to the lawsuit.

Judge Says NC School Can't Bar Ariana Iacono Over Her Nose Piercing
Personally, I'm a fan of "Pastafanarianism," which is also called the church of "The Flying Spaghetti Monster or FSM, for short. It's actually a recognized religion here and in some countries abroad.
I also believe that the ancient Mayan or Incan religions need to return and be allowed to practice their human sacrifice, especially on Islamists.

Church of Body Modification
I'm not so sure that this is a bona fide religion -- not meaning to judge their faith good vs bad -- only in the sense that it actually is a religion, of which I am not at all convinced -- and the correct legal term for such would be religio licita, not in the sense of an "approved" religion, but something that actually is a religion as it is claimed to be, of which, again, I am not so sure.

Some girls of Hindu faith have their noses pierced as part of their faith or belief, but other girls may just think it's pretty and catches the eye of boys.

Back on topic, please.

"Religio licita" is not supposed to be a legal phrase, but that is what the judge (improperly) entertained in court in this case.

"I believe nose piercings are pretty and I want my nose pierced." More than sufficient justification for such a minor and inconsequential choice of personal adornment for a teenager. Tiny little hole for a tiny little piece of jewelry or stud or ring of some sort. It is unnecessary to make a religion out of it in court, or ask the girl whether or not she believes her "body modification" will get her a hot date or take her to everlasting paradise.

She should not be excluded from school or work on that basis, and neither should boys with long hair, earrings, eyebrow piercings, tattoos, whatever.

Humans are more than old enough to make personal choices of grooming and dress at the age of 14. I am 39, and I am really sick of hearing how "old-fashioned" people are or how that's not they were "raised" or "brought up" or some other nonsense as justification for infringing on the rights of others.

Is 14 too young to get a tattoo?

Ok, sure, it's too young. Gotta live with it anyway. Otherwise, well, if you are already so sure you want a tattoo at the age of 14 that you walk into some tattoo parlor with the money and have it done, you'll probably have quite a few of them by the time you're thirty, because I doubt the one you got at 14 is the only one you want for life.

And I still don't care because it's your skin and not mine, and you should definitely not be excluded from school or work because of a tattoo. And if it's "regrettable" I'm sure you regret it already.

So are you old enough? Old enough to walk and talk and take apart a ball-point pen?

Forum List

Back