So what should Obama have done?

Help plug the fucking hole.

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers: A Brief History

By the 1980s the Corps' mission had expanded from flood fighting to other hazards. Consequently, the Corps established an emergency management program. In 1988 the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act authorized the Federal Emergency Management Agency to provide for all disasters, regardless of cause. The Corps works closely with FEMA in many natural disasters including floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions.

Between 1989 and 1992, the Corps responded to the largest and most destructive oil spill in U.S. history in Prince William Sound in Alaska. I
t also responded to Hurricane Hugo, which caused major damage in the Virgin Islands and coast of the Carolinas, and to the Loma Prieta Earthquake in California. The 1990s brought even costlier natural disasters. Between 1992 and 1995 the Corps performed major repair and rehabilitation work in the wake of Hurricanes Andrew and Iniki, record flooding on the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, and the Northridge earthquake in California.

None of that seems to say the Corp is prepared or knows anything about plugging an oil spill in 5K feet of water. The Corp does all of it's work on land and in the waterways that flow through the land. Nothing I read in your link said they had any experience or expertise at capping an deep water oil spill. I don't thinkk even Navy divers can dive that deep.

Want to try again?

Last edited:
Does the President of the United States have the power to order a privately owned company to hire people?

I've never heard of this one.

I could see a court mandating something like this...but even this would cause right-wingers to fill their pants with copious amounts of shit.
No...but BP pretty much did that anyway.

Bullshit. BP did nothing like that at all.

And if the President doesn't have the authority to do it (which is a reasonable suggestion, by the way) then the President lied.

Were you one of those biaching about the POTUS limiting compensation to executives of banks that took bailout money?

And if the President doesn't have the authority to do it (which is a reasonable suggestion, by the way) then the President lied.

Were you one of those biaching about the POTUS limiting compensation to executives of banks that took bailout money?

Clearly, twerp, you misunderstood my post. So, I shall deign to set your misguided ass straight. Try to pay attention this time.

(A) the President doesn't have any fucking right to order BP to hire boats to conduct clean up operations.

(B) the President's CLAIM to the effect that he had such power and authority is bullshit, but that never seems to stop this President from saying such idiotic things anyway.

(C) I didn't bitch or biatch about it, but I am quite content in asserting that the freakin' President of the United States has ZERO Constitutional authority to tell execs in private companies what they can or cannot make. And if you WANT to make the claim that by accepting bailout funds the rules are somehow changed, then you are obliged to put that string in the papers that arranged for the banks to get the bailout funds.

(D) I opposed bailouts, too.

Does the President of the United States have the power to order a privately owned company to hire people?

I could see a court mandating something like this...but even this would cause right-wingers to fill their pants with copious amounts of shit.

They've been hiring the fisherman. Not sure where you get your news, prolly from mal's ass.

They've been hiring the fisherman. Not sure where you get your news, prolly from mal's ass.

Bullshit. They have NOT been hiring the fisherman in any significant numbers. To the extent they are doing any hiring at long last, that is the departure from their record to date.

I know where you get your news. The biased and distorted likes of the Huffy Post or other liberoidal outlets with no concern for truth. In that regard, you are right in step with them.

Stop obsessing over Mal's ass. He's a married man for Pete's sake. Your obsession is really kind of off-putting.

MAYBE he should have ordered the Oil Company (BP) to hire the soon to be unemployed fisherman to place the floating booms in the waters to prevent as much of the SPREAD of the oil as possible to minimize the natural calamity of it making landfall.

This is simply another shining example of certain RW posters looking for a way to condemn Obama NO. MATTER. WHAT. HE. DOES. It's getting more and more transparent. I love showing this to my friends who are on the fence politically.

Clearly, twerp, you misunderstood my post. So, I shall deign to set your misguided ass straight. Try to pay attention this time.

(A) the President doesn't have any fucking right to order BP to hire boats to conduct clean up operations.

(B) the President's CLAIM to the effect that he had such power and authority is bullshit, but that never seems to stop this President from saying such idiotic things anyway.

(C) I didn't bitch or biatch about it, but I am quite content in asserting that the freakin' President of the United States has ZERO Constitutional authority to tell execs in private companies what they can or cannot make. And if you WANT to make the claim that by accepting bailout funds the rules are somehow changed, then you are obliged to put that string in the papers that arranged for the banks to get the bailout funds.

Yeah, I thought it was you........

Help plug the fucking hole.

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers: A Brief History

By the 1980s the Corps' mission had expanded from flood fighting to other hazards. Consequently, the Corps established an emergency management program. In 1988 the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act authorized the Federal Emergency Management Agency to provide for all disasters, regardless of cause. The Corps works closely with FEMA in many natural disasters including floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions.

Between 1989 and 1992, the Corps responded to the largest and most destructive oil spill in U.S. history in Prince William Sound in Alaska. I
t also responded to Hurricane Hugo, which caused major damage in the Virgin Islands and coast of the Carolinas, and to the Loma Prieta Earthquake in California. The 1990s brought even costlier natural disasters. Between 1992 and 1995 the Corps performed major repair and rehabilitation work in the wake of Hurricanes Andrew and Iniki, record flooding on the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, and the Northridge earthquake in California.

Not an oilfield or deep water. Yes, they most certainly can help with clean up....but explain their qualifications in STOPPING the oil leak. TIA

Yeah, you still can't be honest.

Not sure why you think they could employee each and every fisherman...and their boats all at the same time. But of course, you're so brilliant I'm sure you imagine that anyone with a boat is competent to crowd the seas and suck up oil.

:lol:

Not sure why you think they could employee each and every fisherman...and their boats all at the same time. But of course, you're so brilliant I'm sure you imagine that anyone with a boat is competent to crowd the seas and suck up oil.

Nice effort at strawman, raving-bullshitartist. Please feel obligated to quote the post (with link) where I suggested anything about employing EVERY fisherman. :eusa_liar:

And I realize YOU don't know what they could do. Nevertheless, you not knowing something is not the same as that thing not being possible.

I am quite sure that fisherman would have to get some training. That would be part and parcel of hiring them and their boats. If this concept is truly that difficult for you to grasp (as it seems to be) then you'd be better advised not to bother trying to post on algore's interwebz.

MAYBE he should have ordered the Oil Company (BP) to hire the soon to be unemployed fisherman to place the floating booms in the waters to prevent as much of the SPREAD of the oil as possible to minimize the natural calamity of it making landfall.

This is simply another shining example of certain RW posters looking for a way to condemn Obama NO. MATTER. WHAT. HE. DOES. It's getting more and more transparent. I love showing this to my friends who are on the fence politically.
The problem is that he has done NOTHING, other than make speeches of how enraged he is.

The problem is that he has done NOTHING, other than make speeches of how enraged he is.

Gee...and believing that to be true, I suppose Obama has lost your vote in 2012. How sad.

Heh heh, glad I got to see Lie's little litany of factoids. (A) and (B) are way off:

Oil Pollution Act Overview | Emergency Management | US EPA
The National Oil and Hazardous Substances Pollution Contingency Plan (NCP) has been expanded in a three-tiered approach: the Federal government is required to direct all public and private response efforts for certain types of spill events; Area Committees -- composed of federal, state, and local government officials -- must develop detailed, location-specific Area Contingency Plans; and owners or operators of vessels and certain facilities that pose a serious threat to the environment must prepare their own Facility Response Plans.

So what should Obama have done?

Anderson Cooper said this last week:

COOPER: It is sort of fascinating, David (GERGEN), for a president who watched Katrina and saw the- you know, the failures of the Bush administration- and there were failures, also, at the state and local level, we all know, in Katrina. But for a president who saw that and- you know, was very critical of it, to now find himself in a situation in which he's being criticized for the lack of response or lack of coordination, is kind of stunning.

Read more: CNN's Cooper: It's 'Stunning' Obama Let Oil Leak Become 'Katrina in Slow Mo' | NewsBusters.org

Obama said "the American people should know that from the moment this disaster began, the federal government has been in charge of the response effort." What the world sees is a lack of response and a lack of coordination by the Federal government to stop this. Obama’s aloof detachment is a big part of the problem. He needs to be more emotive, have daily progress reports, provide a website with up-to-the-minute updates, etc. This should have started from day 1.

And another rightwinger proves they have no idea, just lies and hate for Obama.

And as I predicted, the only thing this one can think of is "be more emotive" and other useless posturing that does nothing to clean up the oil

Conservatives got nothing. No ideas. No morals. No principles. Just lies and hate

Says the moron who praised Madeline for her "serious" admonition to Obama to launch a criminal investigation for an accident, rather than actually providing any assistance for a disaster which took place in FEDERAL WATERS.

BTW, Madeline also thinks it would have been okay to burn down a house with the baby Hitler in it, regardless of who else was in the house.

You were saying about no morals, no principles?

Wingnut.

What Obama should have done:

1. Put out an immediate search to gather the best independent experts in the world in the various disciplines required to deal with containment, clean up, and restoration.

2. Gone to the gulf immediately. Leadership matters. Whether or not one likes Bush, his presence at Ground Zero after 9/11 was effective. Being There is half the job of leadership.

3. Developed and communicated a Vision of: Job One is stopping the spill and containing the oil to prevent further damage. Job Two is Clean Up. Job Three is Restoration. Job Four is Investigation, and Financial, Legal, and Regulatory remedies and reforms. Let's focus now on saving the environment and the ecology of the Gulf. We have plenty of time to analyze and address what happened after the emergency is over. And then initiated the efforts in those priorities.

4. Listened to Jindal and gotten the permits and resources LA and other states needed to protect their coasts.

5. Left politics and blame throwing out of it. This is an issue that affects all Americans, a great many of whom are going through severe hardship right now. To fix the problem as quickly as possible requires the focus of all available resources. Making an enemy of BP by making them a target of a CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION is distract their resources from the emergency.

6. Cleared the calendar of discretionary leisure activities such as vacations, golf, and parties. It's too much Nero and Marie Attoinette combined - and shows a callousness detachment that if very poor leadership.

What she said. Obama spent the first month blaming everyone for anything he could, including Pres Bush. Now he is threatening criminal action. That is sure to send a message of partnership and trust with BP.
BP has forgotten more about oil engineering than BO will ever know. BO has no, zero, expertise. Congress has even less. What BO could have done is quit the politicising and point scoring and actually tried to help. He should have established a joint committee with industry experts and government agencies to map out what can be done to mitigate the spill and cap the well.
But instead he decided to score points by criticizing BP, criticizing Bush, and demonizing the oil industry. It's the Chicago Way.

So, you AGREE that BP is the one to fix this problem and not Obama. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Your reading comprehension is on a par with your logic skills. Abysmal.
Some things BP should be left to do. Other things the U.S. gov't can help with.
But Obama isn't doing either fo those. He is talking about criminal indictments. He is not teaming up with the industry to help get resources to the problem. He is trying to make political hay out of the situation. Obama doesn't give a shit about BP, oil, the Gulf Coast, or anything else. Obama cares about politics and beating his enemies and winning.
Obama: The President of Fuck You.

Wait I thought he was focused like a laser from day one.Just like he was focused on the economy,employment,energy,immigration,education.Oh boy are we in trouble.

Nice effort at strawman, raving-bullshitartist. Please feel obligated to quote the post (with link) where I suggested anything about employing EVERY fisherman. :eusa_liar:

And I realize YOU don't know what they could do. Nevertheless, you not knowing something is not the same as that thing not being possible.

I am quite sure that fisherman would have to get some training. That would be part and parcel of hiring them and their boats. If this concept is truly that difficult for you to grasp (as it seems to be) then you'd be better advised not to bother trying to post on algore's interwebz.
You said they weren't hiring fishermen. Your link, dated May 7, already had whining by fishermen that weren't hiring. Therefore, they were hiring fishermen.

New Topics

Forum List

Back