CDZ So...we legalize all drugs...then what?

I am on the fence on this......but an interesting point is made by this L.A. PD detective during this documentary made by Dennis Prager....it comes in at the 25:00 mark on the video....

Even if drugs are legal...those who destroy their lives will still need to get money to buy the legal drugs.....they will still be committing burglaries and robberies.......

You may end the organized cartel violence......but what do those cartel shooters do after the drug war ends?

who is saying "all drugs" should be legalized?

Why not...if you legalize one, why ban the others? What would be the reason?

no one is saying you should legalize all drugs, though. your premise is false

seems if you want to limit a conversation to the CDZ... you should start with an actual point of disagreement i

There certainly are people who want to legalize all drugs.

I am on the fence on this......but an interesting point is made by this L.A. PD detective during this documentary made by Dennis Prager....it comes in at the 25:00 mark on the video....

Even if drugs are legal...those who destroy their lives will still need to get money to buy the legal drugs.....they will still be committing burglaries and robberies.......

You may end the organized cartel violence......but what do those cartel shooters do after the drug war ends?

Me for one. Punish the criminal misuse of them by all means, but if someone wants to get high in their own home that's their business, not mine, nor the governments.

Legalize marijuana like CO did. The year they legalized cannabis, their opiate overdose rates dropped by 25 percent, and have continued to decline.

Why do you think that is? People who would otherwise be using opiates sometimes use marijuana instead, now that it's legal?

Actually, yeah. Marijuana can be used for a non addictive way to get pain relief, indicas are best for that. Matter of fact, I have talked to a LOT of veterans in CO (I'm retired Navy and wear a ball cap to that effect), and every one of them told me that when they got out, the VA had them on a whole bunch of different pills and it was messing with their health. When CO legalized it, they switched over to see if it would be better, and many of them were able to get off of medication and used cannabis instead.

You DO know the main reason that there is a heroin epidemic in the US right now, right? It's because of over prescribing of opiates by doctors, and when they are taken off of the drugs, they had become addicted, and the only way they could get relief was to start doing heroin (another opiate).

Another reason the heroin epidemic blossomed the last ten years is that the last administration eased off on wiping out the Taliban, whose major source of income is heroin production.

How did that lead to more Americans being addicted to opiates?

Less pressure on the Taliban during Obama's Presidency, led to higher production and lower prices. I saw an increase in heroin usage after GW sent troops to Afghanistan, but nothing like the last 8 years.

Lower prices don't lead to opioid addiction- they do facilitate it.
Opium production in Afghanistan - Wikipedia
While the Taliban were considered a threat both to the human rights of Afghans, and to other areas of the world by providing a sanctuary for transnational terrorists, they also demonstrated an ability to strictly enforce a moratorium on opium production. Since their overthrow in 2001, stopping their enforcement with methods including beheading, opium poppy cultivation has been steadily increasing for over the past two decades

Me for one. Punish the criminal misuse of them by all means, but if someone wants to get high in their own home that's their business, not mine, nor the governments.

I would be for a gradual phase in- starting with decrminalization.

The current state by state legalization of marijuana should teach us a lot about how to best impliment legalization, and I think we could also pay attention to how Portugal has gone about it.

I think there certainly is differentiation between drugs- pot is far less dangerous than heroin or meth.

But in general I agree- the reason to legalize drugs is not because we want people to do more drugs- the reason is because making the drugs illegal hurts more people than it helps.

Why do you think that is? People who would otherwise be using opiates sometimes use marijuana instead, now that it's legal?

Actually, yeah. Marijuana can be used for a non addictive way to get pain relief, indicas are best for that. Matter of fact, I have talked to a LOT of veterans in CO (I'm retired Navy and wear a ball cap to that effect), and every one of them told me that when they got out, the VA had them on a whole bunch of different pills and it was messing with their health. When CO legalized it, they switched over to see if it would be better, and many of them were able to get off of medication and used cannabis instead.

You DO know the main reason that there is a heroin epidemic in the US right now, right? It's because of over prescribing of opiates by doctors, and when they are taken off of the drugs, they had become addicted, and the only way they could get relief was to start doing heroin (another opiate).

Another reason the heroin epidemic blossomed the last ten years is that the last administration eased off on wiping out the Taliban, whose major source of income is heroin production.

How did that lead to more Americans being addicted to opiates?

Less pressure on the Taliban during Obama's Presidency, led to higher production and lower prices. I saw an increase in heroin usage after GW sent troops to Afghanistan, but nothing like the last 8 years.

Lower prices don't lead to opioid addiction- they do facilitate it.
While the Taliban were considered a threat both to the human rights of Afghans, and to other areas of the world by providing a sanctuary for transnational terrorists, they also demonstrated an ability to strictly enforce a moratorium on opium production. Since their overthrow in 2001, stopping their enforcement with methods including beheading, opium poppy cultivation has been steadily increasing for over the past two decades

The same Wikipedia article states this:

"The Afghanistan Opium Risk Assessment 2013, issued by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, suggests that the Taliban has since 2008 been supporting farmers growing poppy, as a source of income for the insurgency."

"As had been the case in Indochina during the Vietnam War[36] the US invasion has in fact been causal in a massive increase in opium production, the aforementioned eradication efforts being largely window dressing. A SIGAR report showed a threefold increase in area under cultivation between 2002 and 2014[37] A December 2014 UNAIDS study[38] showed an increase of 7% in one year alone."

You cannot make a logical argument for banning recreational drugs over alcohol and anything that is banned will continue to be consumed illegally. However, if you legalise recreational drugs then you give an outlet to those who wish to partake in drugs legally. All laws are compromise,

Legalize marijuana like CO did. The year they legalized cannabis, their opiate overdose rates dropped by 25 percent, and have continued to decline.
That's very interesting. Especially sense Opioid addiction is a very serious epidemic. According to the CDC:"Opioids—prescription and illicit—are the main driver of drug overdose deaths. Opioids were involved in 33,091 deaths in 2015, and opioid overdoses have quadrupled since 1999."Drug Overdose Death Data | Drug Overdose | CDC Injury Center Massechusetts alone increased a stagering 35.3% from '14-'15. According to Wiki 2015 saw 35,092 deaths in car crashes. Kinda puts it in perspective doesn't it?

What about access to hard drugs for children? Right now, the most abused drugs by teenagers are pot and alcohol.....which are easy to access....once harder drugs are available they will be accessible to younger and younger kids....

What about access to hard drugs for children? Right now, the most abused drugs by teenagers are pot and alcohol.....which are easy to access....once harder drugs are available they will be accessible to younger and younger kids....

They already are available. The same laws apply to them as to regular alcohol laws, no child may use them legally until they are of age.

They are going to get them regardless from classmates. A high school in my town that is very upscale with doctors, judges, attorneys and rich kids attending is the go to place to purchase anything you want.

Hate to tell you, but there are lots of kids out there today that are raiding their parent and grandparent's medicine cabinets. And no, pills and prescription drugs are easier access than marijuana and alcohol.

That's where parents/guardians need to step in. I would entertain debate on laws REQUIRING it...

There's a diff between legalizing and decriminalizing. The use is STILL controlled under decriminalization. But it's treated differently. And even ardent Civil Lib types like myself are NOT in favor of decriminalizing a bunch of Class 1 drugs.

The legalization of marijuana is a HUGE BLOW to the Mex cartels. Virtually stopped the border trade when it's grown legally for sale in the US.. They now have to target their marketing for weed to Central/South America and more in Mexico itself..

For one thing, the cost of the drugs would likely plummet, which I believe we are starting to see with weed in Colorado, though might be wrong on that. As for current cartel members, it would, indeed, take years to undo the damage, just like with the mafia after prohibition ended.

Why hardly anyone dies from a drug overdose in Portugal

If people have access to drugs like marijuana it is fine until they kill somebody driving under the influence. Marijuana is fine to legalize but once that is completely legalized, where will the line for legalizing other drugs be drawn?

For one thing, the cost of the drugs would likely plummet, which I believe we are starting to see with weed in Colorado, though might be wrong on that. As for current cartel members, it would, indeed, take years to undo the damage, just like with the mafia after prohibition ended.

Actually, in CO it is more expensive to buy marijuana from a licensed 420 shop than it is to buy it illegally (no taxes), from local growers.

Actually, in CO it is more expensive to buy marijuana from a licensed 420 shop than it is to buy it illegally (no taxes), from local growers.

I imagine taxes are huge. Will prob have to change.

Forum List

Back