CDZ So...we legalize all drugs...then what?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I am on the fence on this......but an interesting point is made by this L.A. PD detective during this documentary made by Dennis Prager....it comes in at the 25:00 mark on the video....

Even if drugs are legal...those who destroy their lives will still need to get money to buy the legal drugs.....they will still be committing burglaries and robberies.......

You may end the organized cartel violence......but what do those cartel shooters do after the drug war ends?

Agreed, but getting rid of the Cartels would be a big plus particularly to the people of Mexico.

I am on the fence on this......but an interesting point is made by this L.A. PD detective during this documentary made by Dennis Prager....it comes in at the 25:00 mark on the video....

Even if drugs are legal...those who destroy their lives will still need to get money to buy the legal drugs.....they will still be committing burglaries and robberies.......

You may end the organized cartel violence......but what do those cartel shooters do after the drug war ends?

At 25:00 it's a detective talking about becoming a detective after starting out in a black & white. I'm not sure how it was relevant to this thread.

As far as legalizing drugs, no, it would not end drug related robberies. I do think it might lead to less of them. However, perhaps a more important question is would it increase them?

Ending organized cartel violence seems like a good goal. Is worry about what cartel shooters would do without the drug war a good reason for the drug war? :dunno:

Legal drugs? Sure, as long as they take Narcan off the market. We'd probably see a marked drop in the crack head and meth head population from all the ODs. Self-solving problem.

People do stupid things when they are on drugs, but the one thing that you will notice between drugs and alcohol, is no longer are completely, totally, innocent people killed by thugs because the alcohol they sell is worth twenty times what it should be due to laws. Crime will still occur if drugs are outlawed, but it will be for different reasons than that. And, further, if drug addiction is changed from a criminal issue into a health issue the social stigma will be much less.

Just compare drug prohibition to guns. We are ALL in favor of punishing the criminal misuse of guns, but if you want to have a gun in your home, and you harm no one with it, what business does the government have trying to say you can't have it?

Legalize marijuana like CO did. The year they legalized cannabis, their opiate overdose rates dropped by 25 percent, and have continued to decline.

Why do you think that is? People who would otherwise be using opiates sometimes use marijuana instead, now that it's legal?

Actually, yeah. Marijuana can be used for a non addictive way to get pain relief, indicas are best for that. Matter of fact, I have talked to a LOT of veterans in CO (I'm retired Navy and wear a ball cap to that effect), and every one of them told me that when they got out, the VA had them on a whole bunch of different pills and it was messing with their health. When CO legalized it, they switched over to see if it would be better, and many of them were able to get off of medication and used cannabis instead.

You DO know the main reason that there is a heroin epidemic in the US right now, right? It's because of over prescribing of opiates by doctors, and when they are taken off of the drugs, they had become addicted, and the only way they could get relief was to start doing heroin (another opiate).

Legalize marijuana like CO did. The year they legalized cannabis, their opiate overdose rates dropped by 25 percent, and have continued to decline.

Why do you think that is? People who would otherwise be using opiates sometimes use marijuana instead, now that it's legal?

Actually, yeah. Marijuana can be used for a non addictive way to get pain relief, indicas are best for that. Matter of fact, I have talked to a LOT of veterans in CO (I'm retired Navy and wear a ball cap to that effect), and every one of them told me that when they got out, the VA had them on a whole bunch of different pills and it was messing with their health. When CO legalized it, they switched over to see if it would be better, and many of them were able to get off of medication and used cannabis instead.

You DO know the main reason that there is a heroin epidemic in the US right now, right? It's because of over prescribing of opiates by doctors, and when they are taken off of the drugs, they had become addicted, and the only way they could get relief was to start doing heroin (another opiate).

Another reason the heroin epidemic blossomed the last ten years is that the last administration eased off on wiping out the Taliban, whose major source of income is heroin production.

Even if drugs are legal...those who destroy their lives will still need to get money to buy the legal drugs.....they will still be committing burglaries and robberies.......]

Well its an interesting question.

How many burglaries are being committed by alcoholics and cigarette smokers to get their drugs?
That would give a us a baseline to work with.

Portugal has gone the farthest along this path- and generally it has worked well.
https://www.drugpolicy.org/sites/default/files/DPA_Fact_Sheet_Portugal_Decriminalization_Feb2015.pdf

Another reason the heroin epidemic blossomed the last ten years is that the last administration eased off on wiping out the Taliban, whose major source of income is heroin production.

How did that lead to more Americans being addicted to opiates?

I look on the drug war as a way of slowing down on natural selection. However recently a child down state apparently died through accidental contact with that super powerful synthetic opiate Fent-something.

The exact same argument was the reason why it took 13 years to repeal prohibition. But, we saw the argument was ill founded. Yes, people have been and continue to destroy their lives with alcohol. On any given night, I have to deal with twice as many alcohol affected violence issues as drug affected ones. And people will continue to destroy their lives with drugs just as before. But, as with alcohol in the past, no one today who wants to take drugs is stopped by drug laws. The number of users will not sky-rocket just as they didn't sky-rocket after prohibition (as was the warning)

If recreational drugs become legal, the first thing that happens is a multi-Billion dollar illegal trade responsible for death and destruction is put out of business overnight. Gang violence which is primarily over control of the illegal trade disappears.

Also, as with alcohol, a sanctioned trade in drugs becomes subject to quality control, dosage consistency, and sales regulations. Overdoses and the associated strain on the medical community will be reduced.

who is saying "all drugs" should be legalized?

How did that lead to more Americans being addicted to opiates?

Less pressure on the Taliban during Obama's Presidency, led to higher production and lower prices. I saw an increase in heroin usage after GW sent troops to Afghanistan, but nothing like the last 8 years.

Why not...if you legalize one, why ban the others? What would be the reason?

Why not...if you legalize one, why ban the others? What would be the reason?

no one is saying you should legalize all drugs, though. your premise is false

seems if you want to limit a conversation to the CDZ... you should start with an actual point of disagreement i

I wasn't being sarcastic. I just wondered if there might be another reason.

Forum List

Back