So. Was Dec. 16th 1933 "National Hangover Day"?

Ragnar

<--- Pic is not me
Jan 23, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Hat tip to Big Gov.
Wednesday Open Thread: Drink Edition - Big Government

As best we can tell, there are at least three anniversary dates for this, but today, in 1933, the 21st Amendment, ending Prohibition, was officially effective. 3…2…1…drink!

prohibition-ends1.jpg

As me and my perpetually poor college roommate used to say (way back when)... "If we had some rum, we could make rum and Coke's, if we had Coke".

Anywho, have a drink USMB! :wine::cheers2::beer:

Wow. I would have guessed this thread would have attracted at least one comment from a fellow history buff. (or at least a fellow drunk)

:razz:

Chaak anonda-one up four da partee of progresssss..... hic!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQo6sxH06j0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BA1sgoW5g8[/ame]

Don't confuse people with history, it will only stress them out. Reality must be hidden behind the modern doors of ideological preference. LOL A large influence for our family as children was our mother's tales of the great depression. Whenever we complained over our stale bread dunked in coffee, she told us how lucky we were. Makes me laugh today as I have gone far up the food chain, but still recall a world many today think is the person's fault. No child picks their parents last I checked. But our mom taught us values and dad worked his backside off even though he never made much. I remember him telling me once how rich we'd be if he could make ten thousand one year. Darn when I started working I only made five. They also were Catholic in a time when catholics actually had lots of little mouths to feed. Good stuff below, I save links etc. Best history I have read recently was Manchester's 'The Glory and the Dream,' a narrative that make the times from 1932 to 72 real.

"We've got to start to make this world over." Thomas Edison 1912 The Progressive Era

Stiff upper lip.

History Matters: The U.S. Survey Course on the Web

how the other half lives by jacob riis - Google Search

I still have this book. how the other half lives by jacob riis - Google Search

U.S. History Outlines & Charts

"For anyone born after 1945, the welfare state and its institutions were not a solution to earlier dilemmas: they were simply the normal conditions of life - and more than a little dull. The baby boomers, entering university in the mid sixties, had only ever known the world of improving life chances, generous medical and educational services, optimistic prospects of a upward social mobility and - perhaps above all - an indefinable but ubiquitous sense of security. The goals of an earlier generation of reformers were no longer of interest to their successors. On the contrary they were increasingly perceived as restrictions upon the self-expression and freedom of the individual." Tony Judt 'Ill Fares the Land' [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Ill-Fares-Land-Tony-Judt/dp/1594202761/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: Ill Fares the Land (9781594202766): Tony Judt: Books[/ame]

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
With all the drinking that went on despite prohibition, this was probably met with little more than a shrug.

As a kid during prohibition I could make a few pennies by filling mugs, cups bottles and so forth with beer for the neighbors. Those mugs, cups and bottles were called "growlers" when filled with bootleg beer.

Forum List

Back