So using bing search engine, it seems that China average tariff is 9.9%, U.S only 3.5%

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
This is also at the top of their negotiated "Final Bound" amount. Ironic that China has such a higher amount of top bound. Of course, this is an average across all nations and products, so it clearly fluctuates, and many rates are even much higher than this, but offset which much lower amounts (usually for products the domestic market isn't as threatened by).

I want to hear the outcry from the same people criticizing Trump. WHy do they not criticize Chinas nearly triple U.S average tariffs?

On the map provided, you click down to various tariff amount, then then nation to see the real average, and bound average etc.

WTO - Statistics - Trade and tariff maps

Raising tariffs to 9.9% (the developed world's average) would raise revenues and not set off a trade war.

Raising tariffs to 9.9% (the developed world's average) would raise revenues and not set off a trade war.

Interesting perspective. Can you imagine the uproar though?

Remember that is an average, and not a weighted average based on volume etc. So, you might tariff steel 25%, but bananas 2%. Most countries operate accordingly and balance it out per industry need.

Or how about a ramp up-ramp down over a period of years? We raise our tariffs by say 1 percent per year and foreign countries agree to drop theirs by 1 percent per year until we meet more or less in the middle. What would unfair about that?

Or how about a ramp up-ramp down over a period of years? We raise our tariffs by say 1 percent per year and foreign countries agree to drop theirs by 1 percent per year until we meet more or less in the middle. What would unfair about that?

I don't know what arguments/loopholes Brussels and Paris would bring to the table. Therefore I will remain silent and possibly be thought a fool rather than run my mouth and be proven one.

That is interesting in that it would ensure businesses trade and move to America now rather than later to avoid the higher tariff.
He could do it by 2% per year, say starting in 2019, which would bring the average to a minimum of 7.5% by the end of his term and he could campaign on finishing the job, point to economic successes and encourage people to vote for him to finish the job.

It would then force those campaigning against him to support or threaten his tariff approach. It would ensure the rustbelt, even though, I'm convinced the Democrats are going to work hard for Florida to be the difference.

I've been using Bing now for many years. Very, very happy with the results.

It also has a function available that gives you a new, magnificent photo as your wallpaper every day.

I don't know what arguments/loopholes Brussels and Paris would bring to the table. Therefore I will remain silent and possibly be thought a fool rather than run my mouth and be proven one.
I'm not following what you mean.

I'm not following you William, what are you referring to by arguments from Brussels and Paris? I was talking more about bilateral trade agreements between all the countries we do business with.

We do trade with the EU directly and indirectly a lot as well as subsidizing their defense budgets but France and Belgium are trying to destroy the Anglo-Saxons all the same and they are trying to do so indirectly.

Forum List

Back