So the Putiots have a perfect season?

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
I guess Bullichek kept a couple of the cheating tapes he had in his vault.

I don't think it makes them the best team ever, particularly when most of the rest of the league is as weak as it is this year.

Oh, I think so.

The only team to ever go 19-0 and setting all sorts of records.

Best team ever.

I have to agree. As much as I was cheering for the Giants, which is something I'll only do on special occasions, I still think the Patriots can earn the Best Team Ever title by winning the SB.

Most regular season wins ever, most points scored ever, most team TD's scored ever, QB breaks TD record, WR breaks TD record (on the same pass, which I gotta admit was pretty cool)..

And if they win the SB, then I have to wonder how any team could be considered better than that.

They've already set precedents that even the 72 Dolphins didn't set.

It's all a matter of opinion, I guess, but I don't see how the argument for anyone else is stronger than the argument for the '07 Patriots.

I have to agree. As much as I was cheering for the Giants, which is something I'll only do on special occasions, I still think the Patriots can earn the Best Team Ever title by winning the SB.

Most regular season wins ever, most points scored ever, most team TD's scored ever, QB breaks TD record, WR breaks TD record (on the same pass, which I gotta admit was pretty cool)..

And if they win the SB, then I have to wonder how any team could be considered better than that.

They've already set precedents that even the 72 Dolphins didn't set.

It's all a matter of opinion, I guess, but I don't see how the argument for anyone else is stronger than the argument for the '07 Patriots.

No, you cannot compare the game that was played in 1972 to today. They will have he best record of any team ever but we can't say they were the best team ever, including the 85 Bears, the Montanta 49ers, or the Brandshaw Steelers.

What we will be able to say is they compiled the best record ever in the NFL.

Personally, I see claring weaknesses on this team. Why they haven't been exploited, I don't know. They have no power back. They cannot pressure a good offensive line unless they blitz. These are only two.

No, you cannot compare the game that was played in 1972 to today. They will have he best record of any team ever but we can't say they were the best team ever, including the 85 Bears, the Montanta 49ers, or the Brandshaw Steelers.

What we will be able to say is they compiled the best record ever in the NFL.

You may be confusing the label. I think what is meant by 'Best Team Ever', is Best Single Season Team Ever. Not an era, like what you alluded to with 'Montana' 49ers and 'Bradshaw' Steelers.

85 Bears are nowhere near the '07 Patriots, either. I don't even know how you came up with that.

Personally, I see claring weaknesses on this team. Why they haven't been exploited, I don't know. They have no power back. They cannot pressure a good offensive line unless they blitz. These are only two.

Whether or not you SEE weaknesses on the team really means NOTHING when assessing their status. Where you may see weakness, someone else may not. Besides, their record indicates that apparently they DON'T have much weakness.

If they win the SB this year, then they really didn't have any weakness. I don't see how you can be weak, and not lose a single game all season on the way to winning the SB.

Oh, I think so.

The only team to ever go 19-0 and setting all sorts of records.

Best team ever.

Wrong. For one thing, they aren't even playing the same game that used to be played. Two, you can't hold it against teams because the NFL had stretched milking the cash cow out to 16 games.

Three, they aren't 19-0. Even IF they go 19-0, the 1966 Packers, 1971 Cowboys, 73 Dolphins and 75 Steelers would just flat beat them into the dirt. These panises nowadays don't play football. They practice ballet in pads.

Oops, you're right. :eusa_doh: 16-0 is not 19-0. But if they do go 19-0, they are the best team of the modern era. If they lose, they are not. Simple as that.

I completely disagree with the idea that the 1970s teams would beat them today. The average weight of the lines back then was 240-250 lbs. The average weight of the lines today is 280-300 lbs. Heck Duante Culpepper is ~255 lbs. The Pats lines would bowl over the Steel Curtain. It wouldn't even be close. We have a tendency to idealize the past.

Let's look at the teams you mentioned by point differential (points scored minus points allowed), which you can see here.

http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=div&season=2007-REG&split=Overall

2007 Pats 315 net points.

1966 Packers 172 net points
1971 Cowboys 184 net points (finished 2nd in their conference BTW)
1973 Dolphins 193 net points
1975 Steelers 211 net points

So its not even close.

I'll throw in two other teams - the 1985 Bears and the 1989 49ers

1985 Bears 258 net points
1989 49ers 189 net points

And the 49ers in the playoffs beat the Vikings 43-17, the Rams 30-3 and the Broncos 55-10, which was the most dominating performance I have ever seen in the playoffs.

Brady is having the best season a QB has ever had and they have a receiver - Moss - who may be the most physically gifted to ever play the position. They have a great offensive line and a very good defense.

Having said all that, I'm not a Pats fan. I'm a (masochistic) Vikings fan. And I've always cheered for the Colts when they've played the Pats. The Colts could very well beat the Pats in the AFC title game, especially if the game is played in poor conditions.

But I honestly cannot fathom how anyone could say that a team that goes 19-0, is the highest scoring team in history, has the highest net point differential in NFL history, has a QB that set all sorts of records, and a receiver that set the all-time number of TDs for his position. etc., etc. is not the best team of all time.

If they win, they are the best team.

Ever.

Oops, you're right. :eusa_doh: 16-0 is not 19-0. But if they do go 19-0, they are the best team of the modern era. If they lose, they are not. Simple as that.

I completely disagree with the idea that the 1970s teams would beat them today. The average weight of the lines back then was 240-250 lbs. The average weight of the lines today is 280-300 lbs. Heck Duante Culpepper is ~255 lbs. The Pats lines would bowl over the Steel Curtain. It wouldn't even be close. We have a tendency to idealize the past.

Let's look at the teams you mentioned by point differential (points scored minus points allowed), which you can see here.

http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=div&season=2007-REG&split=Overall

2007 Pats 315 net points.

1966 Packers 172 net points
1971 Cowboys 184 net points (finished 2nd in their conference BTW)
1973 Dolphins 193 net points
1975 Steelers 211 net points

So its not even close.

I'll throw in two other teams - the 1985 Bears and the 1989 49ers

1985 Bears 258 net points
1989 49ers 189 net points

And the 49ers in the playoffs beat the Vikings 43-17, the Rams 30-3 and the Broncos 55-10, which was the most dominating performance I have ever seen in the playoffs.

Brady is having the best season a QB has ever had and they have a receiver - Moss - who may be the most physically gifted to ever play the position. They have a great offensive line and a very good defense.

Having said all that, I'm not a Pats fan. I'm a (masochistic) Vikings fan. And I've always cheered for the Colts when they've played the Pats. The Colts could very well beat the Pats in the AFC title game, especially if the game is played in poor conditions.

But I honestly cannot fathom how anyone could say that a team that goes 19-0, is the highest scoring team in history, has the highest net point differential in NFL history, has a QB that set all sorts of records, and a receiver that set the all-time number of TDs for his position. etc., etc. is not the best team of all time.

If they win, they are the best team.

Ever.

And man for man, those guys back then would kill these creampuffs playing today. They knew how to hit and tackle back then.

I'll see your additions and add the 92 Dallas Cowboys.

If they win, they are the best team this year.

Oh, one more thing. One of the truly amazing things about the 72 Dolphins is that Griese got knocked out halfway through the season. Perennial Don Shula Backup Earl Morrall and defense won those games right up to the playoffs when Griese finally came back.

All your stats mean nothing. The game today isn't the game they played back then.

Forum List

Back