So, the President suddenly isn't allowed to "politicize" military victories?

At least we have won the WAR ON POVERTY that was started by LBJ, don't you agree?

LBJs war on poverty was a success. Millions of people were helped through jobs programs, training and government assistance. Ask anyone who is a generation out of poverty and see if they took advantage of those programs

Poverty in the early 60s meant no running water, no central heating, no electricity.......kids literally barefoot

We have progressed greatly since the Great Society

I would believe the government statistics on some things, and this is one of those things.

Princeton, New Jersey (CNN) -- America's poverty rate is now the worst since 1993, according to a shocking report last week from the U.S. Census Bureau.

Over 46 million people are living in poverty, 2.6 million more than in 2009 and the poverty rate has reached 15.1 percent.

The outlook is grim. The recession has compounded decades of growing economic inequality, structural poverty, and urban decay. With the projections that unemployment will remain high for several years, these numbers are not likely to improve.

Making matters worse, as Ron Haskings at the Brookings Institution noted, "Safety net programs run by the federal and state governments are helping millions of families avoid poverty, but thee programs could be subject to cuts at the federal and state level because of continuing deficit and debt problems.
"

War on poverty in 2011? - CNN.com

The poverty rate is relative. Comparing the standard of living of someone in poverty today to someone in poverty in 1960 is not even close. Living standards are better, nutrition is better, educational opportunities are better and medical care is better

As we all know, I usually try to keep the discourse civil around here, but I'm going to have to make an exception.

I have two words for all you assholes that politicized 9/11, the war on terror, the war in Iraq, and whose leader "Spiked the Football" on a fucking AIRCRAFT CARRIER half a decade before "operations in Iraq" were over:

Fuck You.

Seriously. I have no patience for this bullshit. You people can seriously go fuck yourselves on this one.

You chased Bin Laden around for a decade and FAILED.

Obama, while acting as commander in chief, got him, and that just pisses you assholes off to no end, doesn't it?

This utter hypocrisy is just UNBELIEVABLE.

Seriously, out of all the shit you've pulled in the past, this one just takes the cake.

So, in summary:

Stop whining, and STFU already.

so, lets take 'Mission Accomplished'- the banner was the navy's idea for the crew who had been at sea a record time but even at that, it was a a horrible photo op taken advantage of and ran with by the wh staff. No argument. AND, bush was, excoriated at the time, heavily......and I said same, it was dumb, he didn't needs to do it.

now, even taking that into account, that incident , versus this round of barnstorimg end zone dancing football spiking rah rah?

Dude, please huh, a) you either have no sense of proportion OR b) you're a drooling insulting (when you don't need to be) uber partisan. wipe your chin sonny.

In 1960 we didn't even have a color TV, boy were we POOR. Although not a lot of people had color tvs in those days.

At least we have won the WAR ON POVERTY that was started by LBJ, don't you agree?

Yeah, I think there may be a slight difference between using the "War on" terminology in a descriptive way, and literally declaring war on something.

Maybe that's just me...

It was the end of major combat operations UNTIL obama was elected, then the efforts to keep Iraq on track were derailed. Sort of like how obama took an unavoidable victory in Afghanistan and intends to lose and turn it over to the taliban.

Now, the democrats take the failures that they created and honestly claim that Bush's lauditory compliments to the successful mission of the Abraham Lincoln crew were a premature celebration.

Wow.

Just wow.

Now that there is some SERIOUS revisionist history.

Do you people think that the majority of Americans can't remember past last week, or what?

As we all know, I usually try to keep the discourse civil around here, but I'm going to have to make an exception.

I have two words for all you assholes that politicized 9/11, the war on terror, the war in Iraq, and whose leader "Spiked the Football" on a fucking AIRCRAFT CARRIER half a decade before "operations in Iraq" were over:

Fuck You.

Seriously. I have no patience for this bullshit. You people can seriously go fuck yourselves on this one.

You chased Bin Laden around for a decade and FAILED.

Obama, while acting as commander in chief, got him, and that just pisses you assholes off to no end, doesn't it?

This utter hypocrisy is just UNBELIEVABLE.

Seriously, out of all the shit you've pulled in the past, this one just takes the cake.

So, in summary:

Stop whining, and STFU already.

so, lets take 'Mission Accomplished'- the banner was the navy's idea for the crew who had been at sea a record time but even at that, it was a a horrible photo op taken advantage of and ran with by the wh staff. No argument. AND, bush was, excoriated at the time, heavily......and I said same, it was dumb, he didn't needs to do it.

now, even taking that into account, that incident , versus this round of barnstorimg end zone dancing football spiking rah rah?

Dude, please huh, a) you either have no sense of proportion OR b) you're a drooling insulting (when you don't need to be) uber partisan. wipe your chin sonny.

Thats not what Bartlett says: Bartlett: "Mission Accomplished" Banner Was My Fault - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

January 13, 2009 10:43 AM

Bartlett: "Mission Accomplished" Banner Was My Fault

At his news conference yesterday, President Bush said the decision to put a "Mission Accomplished" banner on the aircraft carrier where he gave a speech following the invasion of Iraq in 2003 was a "mistake."

It was not his mistake, however, according to CBS News political analyst Dan Bartlett, a former senior advisor to Mr. Bush. Asked this morning by Harry Smith, co-anchor of CBS' The Early Show, who was responsible for the banner – Smith pointed out that both the Navy and former White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan have taken the blame in the past – Bartlett said that it was actually his call.

But keep blaming the Navy ok

You mean back in the day when people could afford an education, a house, a car, gas for the car and different insurances?

What day was that, exactly?

The 1950's and early 60's?

Couple of things here:

1. That was back in the day when taxes on the rich were quite high, and there was a whole lot of "redistribution of wealth" going on, much of it through GI programs.

So, are you saying that's a good thing and should be re-instated?

2. Education at that time was mainly provided through the government. See point 1.

3. Most of the insurances we have today weren't used back then. Homeowner's insurance, for instance, didn't even EXIST until 1950 in the US.

Home insurance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. The G.I. Bill subsidized low-cost mortgages for returning soldiers. Again, see point #1.

Thats not what Bartlett says: Bartlett: "Mission Accomplished" Banner Was My Fault - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

January 13, 2009 10:43 AM

Bartlett: "Mission Accomplished" Banner Was My Fault

At his news conference yesterday, President Bush said the decision to put a "Mission Accomplished" banner on the aircraft carrier where he gave a speech following the invasion of Iraq in 2003 was a "mistake."

It was not his mistake, however, according to CBS News political analyst Dan Bartlett, a former senior advisor to Mr. Bush. Asked this morning by Harry Smith, co-anchor of CBS' The Early Show, who was responsible for the banner – Smith pointed out that both the Navy and former White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan have taken the blame in the past – Bartlett said that it was actually his call.

But keep blaming the Navy ok

Dang, these guys will stoop to anything to CTOA. Blaming the Navy. Sheesh.

...and this is why the right can keep claiming the Navy did it. They ignore facts that contradict what they were told to believe

Forum List

Back