So sad - 6 year old dies in fire; looking for mom who'd already escaped

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dmp, Apr 25, 2006.

1. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    :(

Hearbreaking..

Girl Dies Looking for Mom in Burning Home

STEELTON, Pa.

A 6-year-old girl who had escaped a house fire early Tuesday ran back inside to find her mother, not realizing the woman had jumped to safety from a second-floor window, police said.

The child never made it back out alive. Firefighters found the body of Da-Onah Watts under a bed on the second floor of the home, said Mayor Thomas F. Acri.

Da-Onah and an older cousin had been asleep on the first floor of the home when they awoke to flames about 12:30 a.m. and ran from the house, said Steelton Police Chief Kenneth Lenker.

The older girl, Nesha Barely, lost her grip on Da-Onah as they escaped, Lenker said. She didn't realize the child had run back inside until it was too late.

A neighbor summoned help, but the heat and flames were too intense for police or firefighters to get inside. The home was destroyed. Da- Onah's mother, Myiaa Smith, 26, survived.

Read the rest: http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/25/D8H740H80.html

2. I_Love_America!

I_Love_America! Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    May her mother, many years later, find her safe and sound, in Jesus' arms, and may they be finally reunited at last.

3. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    My heart just broke reading the title :/

And it's somewhat ironic because yesterday, after visiting my mom at the physical rehab center, I saw little kids around 6 years old playing and I thought "Our future." and it also got me to think how horrible the loss of young life is. It's not fair, it really isn't.

4. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I don't know what would be more selfish... I, as a mother, wishing I could die instead of my child, or being willing to be the one to SURVIVE without the other. Maybe it is more selfish, but I think I'd rather die.