So sad - 6 year old dies in fire; looking for mom who'd already escaped

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
:(

Hearbreaking..

Girl Dies Looking for Mom in Burning Home

STEELTON, Pa.

A 6-year-old girl who had escaped a house fire early Tuesday ran back inside to find her mother, not realizing the woman had jumped to safety from a second-floor window, police said.

The child never made it back out alive. Firefighters found the body of Da-Onah Watts under a bed on the second floor of the home, said Mayor Thomas F. Acri.

Da-Onah and an older cousin had been asleep on the first floor of the home when they awoke to flames about 12:30 a.m. and ran from the house, said Steelton Police Chief Kenneth Lenker.

The older girl, Nesha Barely, lost her grip on Da-Onah as they escaped, Lenker said. She didn't realize the child had run back inside until it was too late.

A neighbor summoned help, but the heat and flames were too intense for police or firefighters to get inside. The home was destroyed. Da- Onah's mother, Myiaa Smith, 26, survived.

Read the rest: http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/25/D8H740H80.html

My heart just broke reading the title :/

And it's somewhat ironic because yesterday, after visiting my mom at the physical rehab center, I saw little kids around 6 years old playing and I thought "Our future." and it also got me to think how horrible the loss of young life is. It's not fair, it really isn't.

I don't know what would be more selfish... I, as a mother, wishing I could die instead of my child, or being willing to be the one to SURVIVE without the other. Maybe it is more selfish, but I think I'd rather die.

Forum List

Back