So Republicans are racists? Not according to this

tim_duncan2000

Jan 11, 2004
I get tired of hearing about how racist they are (and, according to some, have always been). This is an excellent article showing how wrong that is.
Right to vote? When Southern states balked at implementing the 14th Amendment, Congress came back and passed the 15th Amendment in 1870, guaranteeing blacks the right to vote. Every single Republican voted for it, with every Democrat voting against it.

Ku Klux Klan? In 1872 congressional investigations, Democrats admitted beginning the Klan as an effort to stop the spread of the Republican Party and to re-establish Democratic control in Southern states. As PBS' "American Experience" notes, "In outright defiance of the Republican-led federal government, Southern Democrats formed organizations that violently intimidated blacks and Republicans who tried to win political power. The most prominent of these, the Ku Klux Klan, was formed in Pulaski, Tenn., in 1865." Blacks, who were all Republican at that time, became the primary targets of violence.

Jim Crow laws? Between 1870 and 1875, the Republican Congress passed many pro-black civil rights laws. But in 1876, Democrats took control of the House, and no further race-based civil rights laws passed until 1957. In 1892, Democrats gained control of the House, the Senate and the White House, and repealed all the Republican-passed civil rights laws. That enabled the Southern Democrats to pass the Jim Crow laws, poll taxes, literacy tests, and so on, in their individual states.

Civil rights in the '60s? Only 64 percent of Democrats in Congress voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act (153 for, 91 against in the House; and 46 for, 21 against in the Senate). But 80 percent of Republicans (136 for, 35 against in the House; and 27 for, 6 against in the Senate) voted for the 1964 Act.

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/larryelder/2005/11/17/175888.html

Times have changed. Today, Republicans are white, Democrats are "other" and less white daily. So what? I know, I know... it's "racist" just to be white, according to many. Well, I'm not apologizing. If the GOP lost the 18 non-whites now in membership tomorrow, I'd say, "Great." If the remaining whites in the Democrat party quit and joined us, I'd say, "Great." Just makes things more honest. I fail to see why the No. 1 concern of so many white Republicans is that they be seen as "non-racist." Who's your daddy, anyway? Ted Kennedy?

William Joyce said:
Times have changed. Today, Republicans are white, Democrats are "other" and less white daily. So what? I know, I know... it's "racist" just to be white, according to many. Well, I'm not apologizing.
Most, not all, Republicans are 'tradishionalists'. That goes for racism and taxes. Neither are to be wanted.

New Topics

Forum List

Back