So...Pokemon. Thoughts?

DH1390

Rookie
Jun 8, 2010
Pokemon. Those cute little monsters who live in handheld balls inside your pants. But enough about poorly-worded innuendos. Did anyone play the Pokemon games when they were younger, like I did? I remember spending a lot of my life trying to "Catch 'em All" -- which, by the way, is gonna be virtually impossible as long as they keep creating 100+ new Pokemon for every new game, but I think that's their plan.

Anyway, here's a couple of videos to hopefully give you a laugh, as long as we're on the subject. The first is a great parody of the TV show's original theme song, and the second is one of my own videos, as my "Murdoch" character. Yeah, have I mentioned I'm an aspiring actor, and therefore play different characters in a lot of my YouTube videos? Probably important. But I digress.

[youtube]XsBbdsbDaAY[/youtube]

[youtube]DXNMVUzAKFg[/youtube]​

Only play Pokemon when you're not behind the wheel...
icon17.gif

NYPD Warns Players of 'Pokémon Go' Game
July 12, 2016 - The free app, released July 6, allows users to "catch" Pokémon characters, who can and do pop up in vehicles.
The Department of Motor Vehicles wants to remind you to leave your "Pokémon Go" playing for when you're not behind the wheel. The free app, released July 6, allows users to "catch" Pokémon characters, who can and do pop up in vehicles. And, per a news release from the DMV and Governor's Traffic Safety Committee, that has translated to, "reports from around the country and across multiple social media platforms of users playing 'Pokémon Go' while they are driving or crossing the street."

pokego.5785399e8bdb7.jpg

NYPD's 19th Precinct Tweeted Monday: "Yeah we know Charizard is rare but don't let Officer Monello & his new partner catch you! Don't #CatchEmAll & drive!"​

Terri Egan, DMV executive deputy commissioner and GTSC acting chair, warned of the consequenes of distracted driving. "What is meant to be a fun game can have tragic real-world consequences if you’re playing it while driving or crossing the street. Simply put, catching virtual creatures to get to the next level is not worth risking your life or the lives of others,” Egan said in the statement.

The MTA and NYPD also gave "Pokémon Go" players friendly reminders Monday to still pay attention to their surroundings while trying to catch 'em all. "Hey #PokemonGO players, we know you gotta catch 'em all, but stay behind that yellow line when in the subway," the MTA tweeted Monday evening. Earlier in the day, the NYPD's 19th Precinct gave a similar warning. "Yeah we know Charizard is rare but don't let Officer Monello & his new partner catch you! Don't #CatchEmAll & drive!," the precinct tweeted.

NYPD Warns Players of 'Pokémon Go' Game | Officer.com

See also:

Robbers Target Players of Pokemon Go Game
Jul 11, 2016 -- A new smartphone game takes people out into the real world to collect cute creatures, but sometimes the real world can be a dangerous place. That’s what some players found out after four teens apparently staked out specific spots they knew would draw players of the popular Pokemon Go game, then robbed them, O’Fallon police say.
The robbery part made sense to police, but O’Fallon Sgt. Phil Hardin joked that “younger, geeky officers” had to fill in their colleagues about some of what the victim was describing. “All of the elements of a robbery were all there, so that part was easy, but the more in-depth discussion that followed was like, ‘What?’” Hardin said. “You really can’t make this stuff up.” Hardin was among officers called to a robbery scene near a gas station at the intersection of Highway K and Feise Road about 2 a.m. Sunday. Authorities spotted the four suspects in a black BMW shortly after arriving at the scene. Police arrested the teens and found a handgun.

pokemongo.5783edfe81fd6.jpg

Police say that four teens staked out specific spots they knew would draw players of the popular smartphone game, then robbed them.​

Later Sunday, authorities charged Shane Michael Baker, 18, Brett W. Miller, 17, and Jamine James D. Warner, 18, with first-degree robbery and armed criminal action. All three were being held with bail set at $100,000 cash-only.[ A fourth suspect, 16, was in the custody of juvenile authorities. Baker is from Wentzville, Miller from St. Peters and Warner from O’Fallon, police said. The youth is also from St. Charles County.

Police said the suspects may have been involved in nearly a dozen robberies in St. Louis, St. Louis County and St. Charles County. Some victims were playing Pokemon Go, while others may not have been playing the game. Even before the robbery call, police in O’Fallon had heard about robberies involving a car with a similar description. They had also noticed more people walking around near the gas station than is normal, Hardin said. “We just thought, ‘Maybe it’s pay day for a lot of people,’ but I didn’t get it,” he said.

Augmented reality

People need to get a life...interact.
Live in a college town...20 years ago students would be out on the lawns and parks all over campus..playing pickup basketball, volleyball, frisbee...or just hanging out under a shade tree.
Today...the parks are mostly empty, a few people playing pick up games...but the lion share are walking around with a cell phone stuck in their face with earbuds in.
It is amazing to drive by campus and literally every student you see is looking at a cell phone.
We have an entire generation of socially retarded people.

My neighbors on the Neighborhood Watch team have been witnessing strange people at all hours of the night doing this Pokeeman thing. There is a concern from a neighborhood watch perspective. Don't these Pokeeman morons have anything better to do ?!

My neighbors on the Neighborhood Watch team have been witnessing strange people at all hours of the night doing this Pokeeman thing. There is a concern from a neighborhood watch perspective. Don't these Pokeeman morons have anything better to do ?!

Not that they know of.

Granny says, "Dat's right - Watch where ya goin' when ya play Pokemon...
icon_grandma.gif

This game rocks...Pokemon Go pair plunge off cliff
Friday 15th July, 2016 - Two men who were playing Pokemon Go have fallen off an ocean bluff in Southern California.
Encinitas firefighters said the men climbed through a fence while playing the digital-monster mobile phone game. One man fell about 50ft down the side of the unstable bluff and the other fell about 90ft to the beach. They were taken to hospital with moderate injuries. The wildly popular game involves chasing digital creatures that pop up as you move about the real world.

PANews%20BT_P-ddd3600d-ff4d-42df-9f05-e7c2de50f6df_I1.jpg

The Pokemon Go app launch screen​

There have been reports of distracted players walking into trees, playing while driving, and even being robbed by crooks who lured players with digital goodies. In Anaheim, California, police say one player was stabbed by a group of men in a park on Wednesday. His wounds were not life-threatening.

This game rocks...Pokemon Go pair plunge off cliff - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Live in a college town...20 years ago students would be out on the lawns and parks all over campus..playing pickup basketball, volleyball, frisbee...or just hanging out under a shade tree.
Today...the parks are mostly empty, a few people playing pick up games...but the lion share are walking around with a cell phone stuck in their face with earbuds in.
It is amazing to drive by campus and literally every student you see is looking at a cell phone.
What you've described can be observed anywhere these days and not just among college-aged folks. Noses in phones/tablets is a paradigm shift in human behavior, and not a good one IMO.

What you've described can be observed anywhere these days and not just among college-aged folks. Noses in phones/tablets is a paradigm shift in human behavior, and not a good one IMO.

Absolutely. Try doing business with millennials.
No kidding, last year I flew to Colorado, and 1 whole hour of the gathering was dedicated training to deal with millennials.
VERY hard to deal with.

There should be a Millennial app....

That's a good idea!...so if you need to do business with a millennial, you can appear as a character in a video game...and conduct the transaction in virtual reality...that way they don't have to actually talk to you. Much more comfortable, and familiar for them to do business with your avatar.
You should get a patent.

That's a good idea!...so if you need to do business with a millennial, you can appear as a character in a video game...and conduct the transaction in virtual reality...that way they don't have to actually talk to you. Much more comfortable, and familiar for them to do business with your avatar.
You should get a patent.

Yes, but it would require interacting with a bunch of millennials in testing and marketing.

You should get a patent.

Yes, but it would require interacting with a bunch of millennials in testing and marketing.

Dear God....which means you would need to design an app for that too...

I don't understand the rancor aimed at the people playing this game. If you don't want to play, don't play. But why get bent out of shape because others are doing it. Why do you care?

I remember when college students would be laying around listening to music too. I remember being stoned and tripping while I did that.

They need to get a life? How about those who spend their time badmouthing the people playing? Mind your own life.

Forum List

Back