So Now Judges Are Going to Decide Who Educates Kids

It sounds as if they are in divorce proceeding currently, so it isn't the judge overriding the mother's opinion, it is the judge settling a dispute between the parents.

Wake judge orders home schoolers into public classrooms :: WRAL.com

I agree with your overall point that the custodial parent has to deal with the day to day decisions for the children. But I don't agree that the non-custodial parent has no say in what goes on.

The thread I mentioned was a discussion of a gay advocacy group handing out materials in schools to teach children that gay relationships were normal. So my question was, what if this woman was sending her children to one of those schools and had no problem with the literature being handed out, but the father objected to the literature...why would she have the final say, simply because she was the custodial parent? Where does the non-custodial parent lose his or her rights to what he or she considers the best interests of the child?

let me answer you before looking for Jillians other posts on this...

i don't think the non custodial parent has no say..... usually the parents work out what is best for the kids.

If the non custodial parent has concerns for their children because of harm, or something illegal then by all means, see a judge to put some sort of stop order on the mother, or take the kids away....

But, when you have these kids, who have always been home schooled and they are testing at 2 years above norm and they were taken out of public school in the first place because they were doing poorly in public school, and they also participate in extra curricular activies and sports with kids of their own age, WHAT reason would there be for the judge to do this against the mother's will, who has temporary custody of the kids....if the divorce is not final yet, and the kids are with her, she has the custody of them...

If they were testing below their grade level, confined to never going out of the house and seeing sunshine, and 20lbs under weight, I'd say...Houston, we have a problem! And most certainly the non custodial parent should have a means to object.

On the passing out gay pamphlet thing by some activist group, at a school...i don't think they should be allowed to do it in the first place, nor should Christians be allowed to pass on pamphlets at a school.

(i still haven't read the thread, so i am not certain i am dipicting what happened)

but presuming i have the gist of it, if the mother wanted the child to continue to go to this school, where these pamphlets were distributed and the non custodial father objected to his child continuing to go to this public school, i would say the father would not have good reason to insist such....unless there was some proof that this harmed his child in some way.

There is no reason why the father could not take this booklet and go over it with his children and teach them why he disagrees with the booklet's view on this...if his children happened to even get a copy of it handed to them...

so, if i got the gist of the story right, this is how i think on it... :)

Care
I think we are going to end up not agreeing on this...for all we know the father wanted custody of the children and didn't get it...I can't see any real reason that his educational wishes for the kids don't have the same merit as the mother's wishes. I suppose he could go over and teach them evolution...if she lets him. :doubt:

I don't see this as a slippery slope kind of thing, either, because I think this disagreement between the parents has merit and the judge was within his rights to mediate...as lame as his reasoning sounded. I'd like to know more about the case than was given in the WorldNutDaily link.

Did it say in this article that she would not or has not taught the kids on Evolution or are you speculating on this....? And wouldn't these children have been taught this already if this is what the father wanted when he was there and his wife home schooled?

Why was this schooling A-OK when this father was living with his wife and kids and not OK now?

His only answer is he doesn't want to pay MORE in alimony to keep his kids in the same environment they were in before he committed adultery. this case is SCREAMING him not wanting to pay alimony to keep his wife home, schooling the kids as he did BEFORE he committed ADULTERY....and was caught.

I always thought, when the woman goes after the rich man in a divorce, she shoots for getting the SAME standard of living that she had, when married, and the same quality care for her children when married, especially if the hubby committed adultery...?

Ravi, if there were any real valid reasons at all to show these kids needed for their own well being, to be taken out of their private schooling and be put in to public schooling, then i would agree with it.... (there isn't though, the father even said through his lawyer she was a wonderful mother....)

but since THERE IS NO EVIDENCE of such, or at least no evidence at all mentioned in the article, and only evidence showing how well these kids have done when pulled out of the public system, the decision of this judge's is activism on his part and based on his own personal opinion, not evidence presented in the case...again, at least how it appears fron the information given on the case in the article...imo.

This guy wants the wifey to go back to work, stop living the life she and her children were accustomed to living when married to him. He committed adultery, and he should have thought about that before he chose to do such....

I rule in FAVOR of the wifey and kids!!!! :lol: CASE ADJOURNED ;)

And yes, we will have to respectfully disagree!

Care

Ravi, if these kids were taken out of public school because of poor performance and then put in to Private School, like Catholic school or some academy school, or montessori school and thriving with good grades there, and this father insisted on taking them out of this school and put them in to public school because he no longer wanted to pay for the private school now that he is being sued for a divorce.... would you really side with this father, as you are now?

Is this really about your feelings on home schooling and not the father's rights?

not that there would be anything wrong with such, many people have some pretty strong feelings one way or the other, regarding home schooling....

Last edited:
I also seriously doubt the adulterous father wants full custody of these kids, it would spoil his fun. :eek:

I also seriously doubt the adulterous father wants full custody of these kids, it would spoil his fun. :eek:

What about the tramp mother, are you sure she wants the children ?

this particular mother was not the tramp.

However, if this is just a general question....

I think in most cases, even if it is the mother that is "running around" she would still want to provide for her children's care....of course there are exceptions to the rule, like my sister in law...she just wanted to tramp around for drugs and left her kid with my mother in law to rear.

I think for the most part, if it is the man running around and caught, he probably isn't ready for the responsibility that it takes to rear kids 24/7....he's probably looking for more of a single lifestyle where his children 24/7 could get in his way....

And OF COURSE, there are exceptions to this rule all over the place as well and plenty of good men would probably take on this huge task!

but in a generality .....this is what I think.

Care

Did it say in this article that she would not or has not taught the kids on Evolution or are you speculating on this....? And wouldn't these children have been taught this already if this is what the father wanted when he was there and his wife home schooled?
From the article I linked to above:
Thomas Mills also said he was "concerned about the children's religious-based science curriculum" and that he wants "the children to be exposed to mainstream science, even if they eventually choose to believe creationism over evolution."
Why was this schooling A-OK when this father was living with his wife and kids and not OK now?
Maybe he was involved with their schooling before they started divorce proceedings...I haven't seen anything about that.

His only answer is he doesn't want to pay MORE in alimony to keep his kids in the same environment they were in before he committed adultery. this case is SCREAMING him not wanting to pay alimony to keep his wife home, schooling the kids as he did BEFORE he committed ADULTERY....and was caught.
I missed where his reasoning was he didn't want to pay for homeschooling...where does he say that?

Ravi, if there were any real valid reasons at all to show these kids needed for their own well being, to be taken out of their private schooling and be put in to public schooling, then i would agree with it.... (there isn't though, the father even said through his lawyer she was a wonderful mother....)
She might be a great mother, but both her hubby and her father think she belongs to a cult.

This guy wants the wifey to go back to work, stop living the life she and her children were accustomed to living when married to him. He committed adultery, and he should have thought about that before he chose to do such....
I didn't see this either.

Care
Is this where I get to call you a moron? ;)

Ravi, if these kids were taken out of public school because of poor performance and then put in to Private School, like Catholic school or some academy school, or montessori school and thriving with good grades there, and this father insisted on taking them out of this school and put them in to public school because he no longer wanted to pay for the private school now that he is being sued for a divorce.... would you really side with this father, as you are now?

Is this really about your feelings on home schooling and not the father's rights?

not that there would be anything wrong with such, many people have some pretty strong feelings one way or the other, regarding home schooling....
Again, I have no problem with homeschooling. A few of my nieces have been homeschooled and they are intelligent and admirable young ladies.

From the article I linked to above:
Thomas Mills also said he was "concerned about the children's religious-based science curriculum" and that he wants "the children to be exposed to mainstream science, even if they eventually choose to believe creationism over evolution."
Maybe he was involved with their schooling before they started divorce proceedings...I haven't seen anything about that.

I missed where his reasoning was he didn't want to pay for homeschooling...where does he say that?

She might be a great mother, but both her hubby and her father think she belongs to a cult.

I didn't see this either.

Care
Is this where I get to call you a moron? ;)
:lol::lol::lol: well you can call me Care4all, or you can call me Care, or you can call me c4all or you can call me moron!!! hahahaha

ok, didn't realize you linked an article as well, or i just did not go in to it....i will go back once again, and look for it....

Did it say in the article that when he was home with the wife, he tried to teach them evolution and she wouldn't let him or refused to herself or is this some NEW concern that HE THINKS he can use to get his way?

Also Ravi, if she is teaching according to the programs they have out there for home schooling parents to buy....and IF she does have to have her kids tested with public school testing, then i am certain, whatever in public school that has to be covered on evolution, will be taught by her.

If any of this testing has evolution questions on it. If this testing DOES NOT have these Evolution questions on it I would be shocked.

My nieces who were home schooled come from a family with a Pastor in it, and he and his wife taught evolution to them...without it getting in the way of their own personal beliefs that God created it all...they don't find science as a threat to God....nor do I and nor do Catholics or Lutherans....or many Christian denominations, other than strict fundamentalists, perhaps?

care

ravi, from the thread article,

The order proposed by the father's lawyer also conceded the reason for the divorce was the father's "adultery," but it specifically said the father would not pay for homeschooling expenses for his children.

The order also stated, "Defendant believes that plaintiff is a nurturing mother who loves the children. Defendant believes that plaintiff has done a good job with the homeschooling of the children, although he does not believe that continued homeschooling is in the best interest of the children."

Care, here are two links that are less biased than WorldNutDaily.

Mom will fight order against home schooling - Wake County - News & Observer

Wake judge orders home schoolers into public classrooms :: WRAL.com

The first one mentions the cult. In the second link, she claims her teaching is straight out of the bible.

It's also unclear how many of her children are testing at what level and what tests they are taking...I've no idea what the law for homeschooling is in NC.

If my spouse ever became my ex-spouse I'd hate to think I'd not have any say in my children's education.

Forum List

Back