So much for the "right to bear arms" (failed robbery attempt leads to really bad joke)

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
So much for the "right to bear arms"
Crook’s arm ripped off after failed robbery attempt | New York Post

A driver being robbed at gunpoint used his car as a weapon, and pinned the runaway robber to a fence in such a way that his arm got amputated. Both people will face charges.

Taxpayers will probably get stuck with the bill for emergency surgery, and prosecuting both people in this case.

Sorry for the bad joke, but that was the first comment that came to my mind.
This is really horrifying and tragic. I shouldn't make fun of this, but I couldn't resist.
Someone shoot me! I mean, slap me!

================================

disarming story said:
“I saw a kid under a car,” said Alex Saint Fleur, a bus driver who lives across the street.
“The guy ran him over. He got out, the driver said, ‘He’s trying to rob me. He’s trying to rob me.’”
“I saw the gun on the floor,” Fleur added. “The arm was on the floor near the gun.”
The teen got out from under the car, he said, and ran inside a city bus.
“Everyone is screaming, ‘Come back, come back, your arm. You’re bleeding too much,’” Fleur said.
The crook got out of the bus and started running down Avenue M, he said, before finally collapsing in the street. The teen was taken to Brookdale Hospital, where he remains in serious but stable condition, law enforcement sources said. The 39-year-old driver will likely be arrested, according to police sources. On Friday afternoon, the bus was pulled over on 80th Street, blood spattered on its front entrance. “I was walking up the sidewalk and I heard a boom behind me,” said a postal worker who declined to give her name. “I just kept it moving. I saw somebody run on the bus with a missing arm.”

Last edited:
New York has laws against being robbed? Or against resisting being robbed?

Someone from NY help me out here. . . :dunno:

The robber was a piece of shit, but you can't just run a 17 year old down over a pair of stolen sneakers. The kid was lucky that all he lost was his arm. The seller almost took his life. And why is this dude selling a pair of new sneakers online? He stole them himself.

The robber was a piece of shit, but you can't just run a 17 year old down over a pair of stolen sneakers. The kid was lucky that all he lost was his arm. The seller almost took his life. And why is this dude selling a pair of new sneakers online? He stole them himself.

Yeah, that's what you get when two such people connect online.
This incident may have cost one guy his arm.
But to resolve it all will cost taxpayers an arm and a leg!
"ba-dum-bum-CHING"

You minimize that crime by saying, "stolen sneakers." Remember the article placed the value of those Air Jordan 8 Retro sneakers at $490, in several states, though not NY, that qualifies as Grand Theft. Likewise, there was Assault with a deadly weapon.

So, you have Assault with a deadly weapon, attempted grand theft, and you claim the victim has no right to run the guy down?

He was lucky it didn't occur in someplace where folks are packing.

Looking at the vehicle he was driving, I doubt he stole them. That is just an assumption with no basis. From what I see about these shoes, they tend to be specialty shoes, they were probably more expensive when new, and just slightly used and he wanted to re-coup some of the cost.

These are the only ones I could find valued at more than $200.
air jordan 8 retro "hoh q23"

air jordan 8 retro db "doernbecher"

Last edited:

You minimize that crime by saying, "stolen sneakers." Remember the article placed the value of those Air Jordan 8 Retro sneakers at $490, in several states, though not NY, that qualifies as Grand Theft. Likewise, there was Assault with a deadly weapon.

So, you have Assault with a deadly weapon, attempted grand theft, and you claim the victim has no right to run the guy down?

He was lucky it didn't occur in someplace where folks are packing.

Looking at the vehicle he was driving, I doubt he stole them. That is just an assumption with no basis. From what I see about these shoes, they tend to be specialty shoes, they were probably more expensive when new, and just slightly used and he wanted to re-coup some of the cost.

These are the only ones I could find valued at more than $200.
air jordan 8 retro "hoh q23"

air jordan 8 retro db "doernbecher"

Dear MisterBeale
This brings to mind other cases where, for example, a man accosted the molester who abused his son,
shot him dead, and when it went to trial, nobody dared blame him for what they knew they wanted to do.

Gary Plauche, man who killed son’s accused molester, dies
The killing sparked debates across the country, and a heated murder trial followed. In 1985, Gary Plauche pleaded no contest to a manslaughter charge and received a suspended sentence of seven years in prison, five years of probation and hundreds of hours of community service.

In this case, the father was clearly respectful of the laws, and worked with authorities to take responsibility for what isn't the proper protocol. Everyone knows the legal process is to let the police, courts and prisons handle it.
We as citizens are not authorized to act as judge jury and executioner.
Which is what separates us from Jihadists who act as all three.
Our laws call for separation of powers, checks and balances, and "due process" to make sure
that justice is delivered according to the rules we agreed to live by.
it isn't a perfect justice system, it gets abused all the time,
so it is no wonder people want to give up and take justice in their own hands.

Of course it is easier said than done.
I can relate to the driver in this NY case, that in a mad panic, I might just do WHATEVER it took to feel safe again and in control again. If he felt he had to stop this guy, well, he maybe couldn't stop himself and went too far. If he was already reckless or dangerous to begin with, this stressful incident didn't help. I would fault them both equally for their damaging actions; but then again, I also felt both Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman triggered each other's fighting instincts and were both equally responsible for getting into a deadly fight. it just so happened that one man survived and the other didn't; as in this case, one man happened to lose an arm, but since he instigated it, those are the consequences he has to live with. (Maybe the driver can be required to help pay for the hospital bills, as his part of the responsibility for excess reaction. Had he responded or apprehended the man without causing injury, the public wouldn't have to pay that extra cost.)

Other people have managed to apprehend shooters without violence, as in the case of the Arizona Shooter where people in the crowd were able to detain and disarm him without harming him at all. I really applaud those people, because anyone could have just shot him and nobody would have questioned that was justified. But they acted calmly and civilly and did the right thing.

There was another case where I felt the crime victim could have gotten away with just about anything,
but he didn't. He restrained himself and let the justice process go forward, so I greatly respect him for that:
Dog Killers Convicted For Murdering Navy SEAL Hero’s Beloved Companion
Because he was a war hero, who wouldn't forgive him if he shot someone over his dog.
But he took an oath to uphold the Constitution, and was able to keep that commitment despite
his every motivation and urge to handle justice himself. Totally respect the man, as I don't think I could do it.

If you look at other cases, people who have suffered worse responded with less violence.

Maybe this guy was so freaked out, he was "temporarily insane"

When Clara Harris tried to defend herself after she killed her husband by running over him multiple times
she still faced sever punishment and was denied parole even though it was not in her nature to be violent.
Her daughter was in the front seat and had to witness her father being murdered this way.

Clara Harris | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

Even though we can relate to these crimes of passion and understand if people lose control,
it is still criminal, and the honest people with integrity will accept the punishment and responsibility.

Man to spend life in prison for killing teens in burglary

Last edited:

Forum List

Back