So much for PolitiFact

Which in no way makes the supposed lie actually a lie.

Is it painful to be so often wrong?

Well yes it was.

Romney was saying that GM was going to close up American plants, fire American workers and open up Chinese plants and hire Chinese workers.

He knew that was not the plan.

Hence he lied.

It was not the first time or last time he did that during his campaign, either.

Sorry, but I read the WS article and they made a very compelling case that it was NOT a lie. You? Not so much.
It was only "compelling" if you were too lazy to fact check the Weekly Sub-Standard.

Highlighted here is what Bishop Willard said which is undeniably a lie.

Romney cites incorrect auto manufacturing claim in Ohio - CBS News

"I saw a story today that one of the great manufacturers in this state Jeep -- now owned by the Italians -- is thinking of moving all production to China. I will fight for every good job in America. I'm going to fight to make sure trade is fair, and if it's fair America will win."

It is a lie that ALL production is MOVING to China. Now when the WS-S was shown that that was a lie this is how they rationalized the undeniable lie:

UPDATE: Several people have written in to object on the grounds that when the Romney campaign first started making the accusation against Jeep, Mitt Romney said the following in a stump speech, which does muddy the waters a bit:

I saw a story today that one of the great manufacturers in this state Jeep -- now owned by the Italians -- is thinking of moving all production to China. I will fight for every good job in America.

Emphasis added. Obviously, when it's framed that way it's not true. However, remove the word "all" from Romney's comment and it's perfectly unobjectionable.

All you have to do is change what Willard said and suddenly he is not a liar. But does removing the word "ALL" suddenly tell the truth? Hell NO! It would now read "Jeep -- now owned by the Italians -- is thinking of moving production to China." The lie still says production is MOVING to China, maybe not ALL but some production is MOVING to China. Of course NO production is MOVING to China, but that can be rationalized too.

From WS-S:

By expanding Jeep production to China, instead of increasing Jeep production in the U.S., it's safe to say Jeep (or more properly, Fiat, which now owns Chrysler) is choosing to create more jobs overseas instead of in America where taxpayers bailed the company out.

So jobs that don't exist in the US are MOVING to China because they are being created in China instead of the USA. Of course this ignores the fact that earlier in 2012 China raised the duty on Jeeps to 15% and at that jacked up price for Jeeps made in the USA the average Chinese could never afford to buy one, so there would be no demand to build Jeeps in the USA that can't be sold in China!!!

But other than the obvious lies the WS-S article is very "compelling." :cuckoo:

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back