So Mrs Obama blows more of my tax dollars taking family and friends on vacation

I don't particularly care about how much this trip cost, but the perception is just horrible. You don't tell people they have to cut back and then go on lavish trip after lavish trip. It just looks exactly as described, as if they are just completely out of touch, or worse don't care.

Whispers> you are aware that the Obamas are paying for the trip out of their own pockets? Dont tell the rightwing...it will dampen their outrage

Do you really suppose that the Obama's are paying for all the privileges that will be extended because he's President? IE the additional security measures which will have to be part of any trip the family makes? You can guarantee they don't.

However, that is largely irrelevant. This is no different than right after TARP money was handed out banks those same execs used THEIR money for lavish parties and such. They paid for it themselves, but it just looked wrong. This is just more evidence that Obama is a shitty leader. A leader says "no in this time of financial difficulties when the entire country is watching us we will NOT flaunt our wealth by going on such lavish trips, especially when you just went on one such trip which caused an uproar"

RW I think you're smart enough to get that, but too stubborn to admit it.

Yes....sadly the Secret Service has protected our Presidents since Lincoln It comes with the job and is the price we pay to protect our President Sadly, the rightwing whines every time the President leaves the White House grounds

How dare he?

Sorry Gramps, the money being spent on the First Family's African vacation is a pittance compared the money blown over the last two years. I'd be happy if they'd spent those years vacationing...

My point is, there are more important things than a vacation to work yourself into a tizzy over. This isn't a battle or argument worth having, IMO.

I agree with your first paragraph. But their arrogance irritates me to no end so I have to disagree with your second. I understand its pennies by comparison but the money isn't really the issue. It's the whole do as I say not as I do routine that I just can't tolerate.

Not only is she taking her daughters but also her mother and their cousins as well as BET tv. Are you f'ing kidding me?!? And they are trying to label it as an outreach trip. Last time I checked we already gave Egypt 2 billion and forgave 1 billion to create jobs.
How about a trip to Israel or one of the other countries that actually help us and are friendly? Or is Obama so stupid as to think that his "uncovered" wife and daughters can impress the Muslims when he couldn't?

How many struggling American families can afford to take an expensive vacation of this nature at this time in our economy. And how many of them invite BET to join them.

This is an absolute outrage. Are they really this out of touch with the American people and their plight? I've been debating many of you about how you feel that Obama isn't doing enough for the unemployed. This should show you just how out of touch he is.

Obama isn't a "struggling" American family. This is a man, who, as a child, was on food stamps. Through hard work and student loans, made it through Harvard. He and his wife didn't pay back their loans completely until he was in his forties. The bulk of his 5 million dollars came from two best selling books he wrote. When his wife and daughter went to Spain, the entire trip was paid "out of pocket" except for the "Secret Service" which the country provides because she is the wife of the President of the United States.

As long as they pay for it themselves, why shouldn't they go where they want? They "earned" it in a positive way through hard work.

Right wingers say "race" isn't an issue. They can't even admit this smart man could "READ" a book, much less "WRITE" one.

And so the real question becomes, "Do you believe Obama took a trip to Asia costing the US $200,000,000.00 a day"?

Whispers> you are aware that the Obamas are paying for the trip out of their own pockets? Dont tell the rightwing...it will dampen their outrage

Do you really suppose that the Obama's are paying for all the privileges that will be extended because he's President? IE the additional security measures which will have to be part of any trip the family makes? You can guarantee they don't.

However, that is largely irrelevant. This is no different than right after TARP money was handed out banks those same execs used THEIR money for lavish parties and such. They paid for it themselves, but it just looked wrong. This is just more evidence that Obama is a shitty leader. A leader says "no in this time of financial difficulties when the entire country is watching us we will NOT flaunt our wealth by going on such lavish trips, especially when you just went on one such trip which caused an uproar"

Yes....sadly the Secret Service has protected our Presidents since Lincoln It comes with the job and is the price we pay to protect our President Sadly, the rightwing whines every time the President leaves the White House grounds

How dare he?

Come on man, you're better than that weak sauce. We're talking about his family on a foreign vacation in a dangerous country. We are not talking about protecting the POTUS while on official duties. A leader would nix this vacation, if for no other reason than the perception.

I don't particularly care about how much this trip cost, but the perception is just horrible. You don't tell people they have to cut back and then go on lavish trip after lavish trip. It just looks exactly as described, as if they are just completely out of touch, or worse don't care.

You are aware that according to the media they are going on our dime.

Prove it.

Didn't Marie Antoinette get her head cut off?

Yeah, but at least Marie Antoinette wasn't obnoxious...

When they were taking her out to be executed she stepped on her executioners shoe and she said: "pardon me, but that is the height of rudeness."

Whispers>. even FoxNews has admitted Obama is paying his family expenses

How dare he?

No one is complaining about the presidents official trips. And he goes all over all the time. I have a problem with them taking friends and extended family on my dime. Last time I checked NO company pays expenses for your friends and extended family to join you on a really expensive trip. What was it last time, a dozen or more planes? And how many extra ss personel will it require for all those extra people.
The way this economy is and going into an election cycle and they do this? In your infinite wisdom this may pass the mustard test but most voters don't poses your train of thought. Simply put he is an idiot.

I bet it is costing $200 million a day too

This is the worst travesty since Obama chartered a jet to fly his dog

Not that money matters, but where do you get that? CNN says it's an 'Official' visit, meaning we pay for it. Michelle Obama's trip to southern Africa to focus on youth - CNN.com

How dare he?

What the fuck are you talking about???

It was the McKinley assassination that prompted the secret service...

Lincoln did propose a security agency called the "secret service" however it was not for presidential protection, I think it was to break up counterfeiting rings or something along those lines ...

Prove it.

Sorry but unless you have CNN recorded from earlier today I can't. I was actually eating out and watching the news banner at the bottom of the screen. I did however do a quick search and found this:

Michelle Obama: First Lady Michelle Obama to travel to South Africa, Botswana - Los Angeles Times

As it is labeled an "official" trip I'm pretty confident that what I read on the banner is accurate

How dare he?

Come on man, you're better than that weak sauce. We're talking about his family on a foreign vacation in a dangerous country. We are not talking about protecting the POTUS while on official duties. A leader would nix this vacation, if for no other reason than the perception.

Perception of what?

maybe he is sending a message about Egypt.

Amazing how something will get all the pearl clutchers a tither, reaching for their smelling salts. There is nothing new here folks...

The First Lady will meet with Nelson Mandela’s wife, Archbishop Desmond Tutu a the Cape Town Soccer Stadium, site of the 2010 and with the presidents of Botswana and South Africa and their spouses. During the trip Michelle Obama will also deliver the keynote address to a U.S.-sponsored Young African Women Leaders Forum.

Michelle will be following in Laura Bush’s and previous recent First Lady’s footsteps all who visited South Africa during their respective terms as First Lady. During her husband’s presidency Laura Bush visited Africa 5 times and traveled to 10 different countries, the most visits than any other First Lady before her. Bush also traveled widely visiting Burma, Afghanistan and the Middle East.

During her travels, Laura Bush's twin daughters Barbara and Jenna accompanied her on tours to remote villages. Former First Daughter Barbara Bush has said her 2003 trip to Africa with her parents sparked her interest in global health. She later returned to work in a hospital in South Africa and is currently president of the Global Health Corps, a non-profit organization she founded that is trying to bring health equity to the United States and Africa.

Similarly,while on Spring break in 1997, Chelsea Clinton joined her mother in South Africa during Hilary Clinton's two-week Africa visit. She also toured impoverished areas of the various countries during the trip and later decided to choose southern Africa as her honeymoon destination, vacationing in Namibia after her wedding to Marc Mezvinsky in 2010.
In Chelsea's and the Bush twins footsteps, the Obama girls travel to Africa | Washington Times Communities

So, please calm down. You don't want your knickers to stay in a horrible bunch.

How dare he?

Perception of what?

maybe he is sending a message about Egypt.

come on man, put your parisanship bullshit aside.

Amazing how something will get all the pearl clutchers a tither, reaching for their smelling salts. There is nothing new here folks...

The First Lady will meet with Nelson Mandela’s wife, Archbishop Desmond Tutu a the Cape Town Soccer Stadium, site of the 2010 and with the presidents of Botswana and South Africa and their spouses. During the trip Michelle Obama will also deliver the keynote address to a U.S.-sponsored Young African Women Leaders Forum.

Michelle will be following in Laura Bush’s and previous recent First Lady’s footsteps all who visited South Africa during their respective terms as First Lady. During her husband’s presidency Laura Bush visited Africa 5 times and traveled to 10 different countries, the most visits than any other First Lady before her. Bush also traveled widely visiting Burma, Afghanistan and the Middle East.

During her travels, Laura Bush's twin daughters Barbara and Jenna accompanied her on tours to remote villages. Former First Daughter Barbara Bush has said her 2003 trip to Africa with her parents sparked her interest in global health. She later returned to work in a hospital in South Africa and is currently president of the Global Health Corps, a non-profit organization she founded that is trying to bring health equity to the United States and Africa.

Similarly,while on Spring break in 1997, Chelsea Clinton joined her mother in South Africa during Hilary Clinton's two-week Africa visit. She also toured impoverished areas of the various countries during the trip and later decided to choose southern Africa as her honeymoon destination, vacationing in Namibia after her wedding to Marc Mezvinsky in 2010.
In Chelsea's and the Bush twins footsteps, the Obama girls travel to Africa | Washington Times Communities

So, please calm down. You don't want your knickers to stay in a horrible bunch.

Your right except for one thing, Bush and the Clintons didn't take their god damn neighbors with them.

Forum List

Back