So... let's talk Muffins

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I have never baked in my life, Bonz had only baked cakes etc. out of box mixes.
But if I am going to bake, it is going to be how I cook...nothing pre-prepared.

We have baked several breads and they turned out great, except for the first one.
Now trying to make muffins.
They taste good, but are not moist enough. I am convinced they are not overcooked. And I remove them from the tin immediately.

Soo... what do you do to make muffins moist?

We have baked several breads and they turned out great, except for the first one.
They taste good, but are not moist enough. I am convinced they are not overcooked. And I remove them from the tin immediately.

Put some butter on them.

Put some butter on them.

Oh your funny :D
The last muffins i made with chocolate chips and a peanut butter cream. That is enough calories!

Turn a hose on them? :dunno:

cracked-muffin-top-34310512.png

Put some butter on them.

Oh your funny :D
The last muffins i made with chocolate chips and a peanut butter cream. That is enough calories!
Oh. We're talking different animals here. I would call that a cupcake, not a muffin.
I don't like sweet muffins.
Some people suggest using applesauce in their quick breads for moisture, but I've never tried it, and if you used it as a substitution, you'd have to adjust the other ingredients. But you could look for recipes that call for it.

This should help some.

Ultimate Guide to Muffins

And

Ultimate Muffins - Handle the Heat

Turn a hose on them? :dunno:

cracked-muffin-top-34310512.png

Thank God that fad is fading.

Use buttermilk. Or a little Greek yogurt. Or a little sour cream.

Buttermilk is best, though, but they all render moist muffins.

Try it with blueberry muffins first. And brush some melted butter over them and sprinkle some coarse sugar over them when they come out of the oven. The big crunchy sugar granuals.

And make big muffins. Nobody wants little muffins.

The secret to moist muffins ...

Don't over mix. There should even be a little unmixed flour visible in the mix you put into the tins.

Also, don't be afraid to change the ration of wet ingredients to dry. Most recipes aren't perfect and will vary according to the brand of ingredients used, their freshness, climate conditions, and the accuracy of your oven temp.

Play around to figure out what is best for you.

The secret to moist muffins ...

Don't over mix. There should even be a little unmixed flour visible in the mix you put into the tins.

Also, don't be afraid to change the ration of wet ingredients to dry. Most recipes aren't perfect and will vary according to the brand of ingredients used, their freshness, climate conditions, and the accuracy of your oven temp.

Play around to figure out what is best for you.
Yes, don't over mix; that keeps them tender. Sift all your dry ingredients into the bowl and make a well in the center, add the egg, milk and oil to that and stir just enough to moisten everything.

Use buttermilk. Or a little Greek yogurt. Or a little sour cream.

Buttermilk is best, though, but they all render moist muffins.

Try it with blueberry muffins first. And brush some melted butter over them and sprinkle some coarse sugar over them when they come out of the oven. The big crunchy sugar granuals.

And make big muffins. Nobody wants little muffins.
My gram used to make a "donut muffin" that was awesome--she put a little nutmeg in the muffin and then covered the top with cinnamon sugar and dots of butter. They were terriffic.

Nothing wrong with pre-prepared. I have a thang for Betty Crocker. There is some good eating in them boxes.

Good luck on the baking. Let us know when you are having a bake sale.

Nothing wrong with pre-prepared. I have a thang for Betty Crocker. There is some good eating in them boxes.

Good luck on the baking. Let us know when you are having a bake sale.

I have a particular aversion to "fake" sugars. Corn syrup/Corn sugars etc.

Forum List

Back