So lets get this straight

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Lefty Wilbury, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Lefty Wilbury

Lefty Wilbury Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    So lets get this straight:

when the port authority of NYC runs LaGuardia Airport, and the security is run by the tsa, and terminals are sold or rented to forgien companies like egypt air or saudi arabian airlines thats fine even though the highjackers were from those countries BUT when the port authority of NYC runs the ports, the coast guard does the security both here AND overseas, you can't have a forgien company run a terminal. someone explain that to me. because you would think the issue of airline security and the cargo that those companies ship would prevent them from running or owning terminals. the only difference i see is the mode of transportion involved plane vs ship and its and election year.

2. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Actually they shouldn't be doing airplance security either.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree. Funny thing, I was getting ready for a rant on this. Those that have been following should be very familiar with my take on this whole issue. I'm not happy that they tacked this onto a bill, it's just aimed at Dubai, which seems no worse than China, perhaps better than Singapore. The problem is the ability for foreign countries to gain any control at sensitive sites, that's the real issue.

Again, the lobbyists, congress, even the administration realize by now that they need to diffuse interest of the electorate, so here is your bone. Gonna chomp on it, or hold their feet to the fire?

4. Lefty Wilbury

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    but they are and i don't see anyone having a hissy fit over it. all i'm looking for is constiancy here.its either or. allow forgien companies to run certain things or not. no nit picking. i also forgot to say more people have died over egypt air screw ups then have died with shipping ones. for eygpt air: http://www.airsafe.com/flt990.htm

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Please read what I wrote. I'm sharing my 'hissy fit' with all my representatives.

6. Lefty Wilbury

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    i wrote my respose before yours got posted. i'm refering to everyone in general. liberals,republicans, lou dobbs everyone.

7. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Actually it's seems like your making the assinine argument that since we've screwed up with airport security, we must screw up with the ports as well. Do two wrongs make a right?

Consistency is the hobgoblin of a small mind.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Ok, respond to what I've already posted, please.

9. Lefty Wilbury

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    but this goes back to what i said at the begining of all this: the only thing that is going to change with the ports is the name on the letterhead and whos paying the checks. the same dock workers will be loading and unloading the ships, the coast guard is still going to check the manifests here and overseas and they'll also inpect the ships before they enter the harbour. nothing is going to change.

10. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    I don't believe that the owning corporation cannot breach security or cannot give insights on how to breach security if it so desires. Why was there a secret vetting process at all if the owning corporation has zero impact?