So! Is this going to be our future?

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Husb2Sparkly (1000+ posts) Wed Nov-08-06 11:37 AM
Original message
Election rhetoric is over. Now we must move to impeach.
Impeachment is a necessary outcome of our House majority.

The reasons to impeach are legion. There was no blowjob involved. There were, however, clearly high crimes and misdemeanors. The actions of the current administration are precisely what the impeachment standards were written for by the Founding Fathers.

Impeachment is needed not just for the country, but for the very standing of our nation in the eyes of the world. This isn't about George Bush, the man, although even on that score it could stand. Instead, this is about showing our nation, showing history, and showing the world that, as a nation and as a people, we will not and can not tolerate the way the country was hijacked by a radical element that managed to game the electoral system for nefarious purposes.

Some of the specific crimes, just so its clear:

~~Lying to the nation and the world as to the need to invade unprovoked a soveriegn nation.

~~Looting the national treasury through the award of highly questionable contracts. Although perhaps initially allowable (assuming there was a real national emergency), these contracts remain in place, even now, years later.

~~Crimes against humanity in the wanton killing of innocent civilians in a foreign country.

~~War crimes in the prosecution of more or less random detainees without charges.

~~War crimes in the use of torture on these same detainees.

~~War crimes in the stealing of a soverign foreign nation's natural resources.

No, impeachment is not a game. No, it isn't about retribution or payback for Al Gore or John Kerry. No, it isn't frivolous. It is deadly serious and it simply must be done. Indeed, to do it is to assume for our beloved Democratic Party a huge risk. In the still fresh aftermath of the sham impeachment of William Jefferson Clinton, the nation may well not have the patience or the stomach to watch the proceedings yet again. But that is the cost of honor. It is a risk we must take. It is a wrath, if it comes, against which we must stand.

Impeachment is our moral and national and patriotic obligation.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x2943895

It's from DU. There will be investigations, to be sure, but I doubt Bush will get impeached. I know there are just enough reasonable people in Congress to keep that idiocy from happening. However, I wouldn't trust Pelosi farther than I could throw her concerning her promise not to impeach Bush.

Bush won't be impeached, but I see nothing wrong with an investigation. He's got nothing to hide, right? And if they come up with nothing, Bush can tell them to fuck off and it'll be over and done.

I'm not 100% sure that the Democrats can pull enough votes from their own party to pass the Articles of Impeachment in the House. I have a feeling some of the Democrats who backed POTUS visibly from 2001-2004 will have a hard time supporting their positions without looking like Mr. Flip-flop himself, John Kerry.

And there is no way the Democrats could convict in the Senate - not nearly enough votes.

Personally, I hope the Democrats DO pursue impeachment in order to pay back the loonbats in their party who want the impeachment. It'd be ugly and nasty, but it would show the Democrats for that they are - power-hungry authoritarians. Andimpeachment will infuriate the average American and if the Republicans can get their heads out of their asses, they could retake both houses and sit another POTUS in 2008.

Impeached for what? Convicted of what?

Illegal war
Lying about WMD

The charges would only be limited by their imaginations. We'll see. I think most people would be very turned off by those types of antics, but in today's atmosphere, I put nothing past either side.

Illegal war
Lying about WMD

The charges would only be limited by their imaginations. We'll see. I think most people would be very turned off by those types of antics, but in today's atmosphere, I put nothing past either side.

Exactly, Kathianne. They are counting on the apathy & ignorance of Americans. Look at their antics with court nominees---to me, that seems like clear-cut obstruction of justice. However, how many people remembered that when they came to vote?

Dems are counting on (and it seems like a valid assumption) the fact that Americans have short memories, and little concern about issues that do not immediately affect them, personally. As long as the impeachment show is over long before the next election cycle, it probably won't affect the vote. :(

Exactly, Kathianne. They are counting on the apathy & ignorance of Americans.

But, half the country agrees with them and that number grows on a regular basis.

Uh huh:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/story/464896p-391201c.html

Ex-Dem pol's how-to for impeaching W

BY CORKY SIEMASZKO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Former Brooklyn Rep. Liz Holtzman has a new book out - and its premise is a dream come true for many Democrats.

It's called "The Impeachment of George W. Bush: A Practical Guide for Concerned Citizens." Holtzman knows a thing or two about taking on a President because she worked on President Richard Nixon's impeachment.

"This came out of what I would call my niche expertise," Holtzman said. "I know what constitutes a high crime and misdemeanor."

The genesis for the book were newspaper reports that President Bush had given the National Security Agency approval to engage in domestic spying.

"One of the grounds for Nixon's impeachment was wiretapping in violation of the Constitution," Holtzman said. "I said, 'Oh, no, here were go again.'"

In her book, Holtzman and co-writer Cynthia Cooper lay out four other issues on which they believe Bush could be impeached: lying about weapons of mass destruction to justify invading Iraq, allowing the torture of prisoners, leaking classified information and botching the federal response to Hurricane Katrina.

"I thought that when we voted to impeach Richard Nixon, this would send a very strong message to future Presidents - do not put yourself above the rule of law," said Holtzman, a Democrat. "That message was not heard by President Bush."

A Republican National Committee spokesman panned the book on behalf of the White House.

"Clearly, Ms. Holtzman is a hyperpartisan interested in getting her name in the newspaper," said the spokesman, Danny Diaz. "Unfortunately, she represents a party that is more focused on leveling political attacks than supporting measures that protect the American people."

Democrats, though, aren't eager to utter the "I" word, either.

Even with polls showing her party could take over the House and possibly the Senate, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) pledged on Sunday not to call for Bush's impeachment.

Holtzman said she wasn't surprised. "Impeachment has to have the support of the American people," she said.

President Bill Clinton's impeachment for lying about Monica Lewinsky backfired on the Republicans because much of the country wasn't for it, Holtzman said.

Originally published on October 25, 2006

I hope they get started on it...Like yesterday.....Fools....

Good for us in 08...

Forum List

Back