So is austerity working in Ireland?

Ed, you need to stay current with your posts.

Germany's Economy Catches the Euro Flu

dear, austerity does not confer immunity from all diseases! Germany and Ireland will simply have less disease as a result of austerity.

also, the no label stuff tells us you are slow. There are two labels in the voting booth. If you lack the IQ to make a choice ask questions and we can help you.

Last edited:
Ed, you need to stay current with your posts.

Germany's Economy Catches the Euro Flu

dear, austerity does not confer immunity from all diseases! Germany and Ireland will simply have less disease as a result of austerity.

also, the no label stuff tells us you are slow. There are two labels in the voting booth. If you lack the IQ to make a choice ask questions and we can help you.

See this is where you are wrong. Both Germany and Ireland had austerity before the recession. The difference is that Ireland had a housing bubble, Germany did not. The only problem Germany had was that its neighbors were in a recession. Ireland actually had problems in its own country, despite austerity, which did nothing to prevent the recession at all. Now, they have a debt problem due to the recession, not due to overspending, which they weren't doing.

Though it's true that Canada benefitted from export demand, the "benefit" that Canada received wasn't accelerated growth, it was putting the country on a sounder fiscal footing that helped the country a decade later.

Austerity is NOT stimulative. It's contractive. But it is beneficial over the long run. Growth lagged in Canada for years.

It should be noted that most of the political left was loudly against austerity in Canada. They said you couldn't make cuts without dramatically hurting the economy or the poor. They were wrong. Now they are generally supportive of sound fiscal policy.

Though it's true that Canada benefitted from export demand, the "benefit" that Canada received wasn't accelerated growth, it was putting the country on a sounder fiscal footing that helped the country a decade later.

Austerity is NOT stimulative. It's contractive. But it is beneficial over the long run. Growth lagged in Canada for years.

It should be noted that most of the political left was loudly against austerity in Canada. They said you couldn't make cuts without dramatically hurting the economy or the poor. They were wrong. Now they are generally supportive of sound fiscal policy.

I thought the liberal party in Canada (our dems) were the ones that started the spending cuts back in mid 90s.

I thought the liberal party in Canada (our dems) were the ones that started the spending cuts back in mid 90s.

Yes, they did. I have never supported the Liberal Party of Canada, and likely never will. But I give them full credit for a solving a problem they created.

Oh, and the Liberals aren't left.

Show me where austerity has EVER worked

Austerity has worked extremely well in both Estonia and Latvia. And also, Ireland did not do everything right before the recession, it did everything wrong. Over inflated wages for the public sector, over exposure to the property market and gross mismanagement of its finances got it into the mess its in.

Show me where austerity has EVER worked

this is exactly like saying, show me where sobriety has ever worked.

Our liberals spied for Stalin and now they are doing what makes as much sense, i.e., arguing against sobriety.

To a liberal the cure for drunkeness is more alcohol, and the cure for massive debt is more debt!!

Forum List

Back