So I'm about to be a first-time homeowner

We weren't actually going to be ready for at least a year, but this insanely great deal just fell into our laps last week and we got preapproved.

If it wasn't for the fact that this is going to be a situation where we have almost instant equity, and that we fell in love with the place :D, I wouldn't be doing it.

With this deal, we could literally sit on this until the economy recovers and housing prices start coming back up, and we could flip and make 30-50% easy. It's THAT good of a deal. And the area is up and coming.

It's not NECESSARILY our "dream home", but it's pretty friggin cool.

Happy days!

One hopes that the economy improves and that you and yours will enjoy some appreviation of value on this investment.

But if that does not happen, one hopes you and yours will enjoy your new digs, anyway.

Congratulations Paulie. One piece of advice: don't sign anything with your intended until you are legally married. Buy the house alone and you can change the deed after. I've known too many people that made that mistake.

PAULIE....GET A HOME INSPECTION ...SPEND THE MONEY....THAT IS THE ONLY PERSON WHO IS WORKING FOR YOU....DO IT AND YOU WONT REGRET IT....DONT DO IT..AND YOU SURE THE HELL WILL REGRET IT....

I DONT GO BIG FOR MUCH....SO YOU KNOW I AM SERIOUS HERE..

home inspection.....base your offer on that.....a clean home inspection report....then pop the question and marry the mother of your child....i will laugh my ass off if she says no....(she is not gonna say no) then take the boy down and get a puppy and kittens.

Good advice, bones...Make the offer contingent upon inspection as well as contingent on your financing and contingent upon a final purchase and sale agreement being made by a set date. Only a small refundable deposit is required at this point. (~$1000. or even less)

Do not hand over that big five percent deposit UNTIL you come to a final P&S agreement, which you need a lawyer working in your best interest to check the P&S over before signing. Things might come up during the inspection that you want to include in the P&S, etc.

did i mention getting a home inspection? title search by lawyer too....forgot that....in todays economy...i would not make more than a 100 buck escrow deposit...the agent will take it...
home inspector .title search....the horror stories i could tell you...

long ago in a life far far away....i did real career things....

i advised a person to do a home inspectin...person was too cheap..has buddy in construction walk thru the house....he tell her it looks good...well it did look good...she purchased and moved in...

the electric outlets were just plate stuck on the drywall...the shower head was simply that...a shower head not hooked to a water outlet....a home inspector would have tested all this ...she ends up having to rewired the house and replump a bunch of it...

while another person took my advice ...and when her furnace blew up inside of a year....the home inspector split the cost of the furnace with her....she had to settle for that...a lawyer would have cost as much as her 1/2...

I suppose I should probably start getting prepared to pop that question sometime soon.

Only 2 months left of baseball season bro! Better Hurry! ;)

Do you think this house you're going to buy will be a place you'll want to raise your family Paulie?

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to raising them there. But if we amass a nice enough amount of equity in a couple years, I'll definitely consider selling, because this wasn't the area we were most interested in living. We wanted to move to Lancaster PA, but this deal is too good to pass on.

It's right around the corner from the babysitter, and a stone's throw away from "pop pop's" house, who helps us big time with the kids. So if nothing else, there's a convenience factor.

As far as popping the Q, I decided against the baseball game thing. I might just wait and do it in the house the day we officially move in. She's super excited about the house to begin with though, she just might have a heart attack if I did that :lol:

LOL @ bones saying she'll laugh her ass off if she says no.

And bones, I already planned on getting an inspection, but the seller is a good friend of my girlfriend's father. It's a group of local guys who started buying up homes in this area and fixing and flipping. He offered us the best house he had available, and gave us a price we couldn't refuse. Those guys and my girlfriend's father have known each other since they were kids, and my mother even knows the main builder's father.

It's not being done through an agency, we're saving 10k because of that. It's being sold directly by the builders.

We're getting a deal that a random buyer would not get from these guys.

i dont care if you are buying it from your beloved sainted mother...get a home inspection..the seller should have no problem with that.

she will say yes....geezes...unless she says no...*evil snicker*

Congratulations, Paulie. Owning your own home is a wonderful feeling. Hope it all works out well for you. Just two bits of advice for you:

(1) Get a dog.
(2) Get a cat.

Then you will be the all-American home owner!!!!

Again, good for you.

You forgot getting a gun.

Psh.

I've had that avenue covered for years already. Don't get caught fucking with my property or my family, that's all I have to say. If so, sucks to be you.

And bones, you're cracking me up. You've earned rep :lol:

Forum List

Back