So Illinois sends me a $1,500 sales tax bill on a car I paid $1,400 for

Mr.Nick

VIP Member
May 10, 2011
We're talking a 1998 Chevy Cavalier Z24 here...

Oh that's not even the best part - Illinois refused to issue me license plates because there was something wrong with the title... The kicker is that the car blew a rod on I-94 (expressway) and a "wrecker company" took the fucking thing before I had a chance for it to be towed (3 hrs later)... And this was months ago (July?).... I just got the sales tax bill now..

They didn't even issue me plates and I didn't even buy the car in Illinois - I bought the fucking thing in Wisconsin to make it even more messed up...

How the hell can you tax a person on a 1,400 dollar car 1,500 on a car that was reject for plates??

Clearly the state of Illinois is sending you a message: " take the bus! "

The nanny state"Progressives" that run the state of Illinois know that you have way too much freedom in your own car...they do not like free thinking people that can travel at will- they prefer mindless drones that travel using mass transit and are easily controllable. That is why they tax the shit out of your cars, guns, and anything else they deem as "undesirable". They know best! It's for your own protection anyway....

:lol:

California once tried to charge me income tax on a capital gain on the sale of a home that was sold in FL where I lived at the time.
The headquarters of the mortgage company was in CA.

I told the bastards to go to hell, which they did not, but they gave up on charging me CA state income tax ;)

By your avatar I am going to go with you don't know what is really going on, and call total bullshit on the whole thing.

Nick, where the hell did you get the title transferred?

That is the funny part, I brought it to the currency exchange, paid a bunch of fees and then Illinois refused to transfer the title from Wisconsin to Illinois...

I only had temporary plates when I blew the rod... I was waiting for a second title transfer when the car got totaled..

Now they want to charge me tax on a junked car??

How convenient in a state like Illinois - not to mention a tax that is 110% of the blue book value, or at least what I paid for it.

I know...

But they didn't even accept a title transfer from Wisconsin - not to mention when my car broke down on 94 they got a wrecker to hook the motherfucker before I could have it towed myself....

In theory the title isn't even in my name - only the temporary tags are...

It's so bizarre....

The state just wants money and no doubt in 3 years when my license expires they will tell me I have to pay 1,500 to the state to renew my license..

Thats how they fuck people here..

By your avatar I am going to go with you don't know what is really going on, and call total bullshit on the whole thing.

Of course you cant believe it....

But it's true...

And what do you mean "by my looks"

You judging me by "my looks?"

I'm guessing you're a progressive considering you're judging me on my "looks."

I'm telling you the truth.

Clearly the state of Illinois is sending you a message: " take the bus! "

The nanny state"Progressives" that run the state of Illinois know that you have way too much freedom in your own car...they do not like free thinking people that can travel at will- they prefer mindless drones that travel using mass transit and are easily controllable. That is why they tax the shit out of your cars, guns, and anything else they deem as "undesirable". They know best! It's for your own protection anyway....

:lol:

Hell I'm not even the legal owner of that vehicle yet - they refused to issue me an Illinois title on the car and now that some wrecker that probably works for the state has the junked car they want to issue me a 1,500 tax on a car I paid 1,400 for?

I don't even have the goddamn title the currency exchange does - and the title they have isn't even in my name....

This is wrong on so many levels. First mistake was going to the exchange, but what's done is done.
A car with that many miles should have zero tax.
Good luck.

94 - is that the Dan Ryan?

Oh that's not even the best part - Illinois refused to issue me license plates because there was something wrong with the title... The kicker is that the car blew a rod on I-94 (expressway) and a "wrecker company" took the fucking thing before I had a chance for it to be towed (3 hrs later)... And this was months ago (July?).... I just got the sales tax bill now..

They didn't even issue me plates and I didn't even buy the car in Illinois - I bought the fucking thing in Wisconsin to make it even more messed up...

How the hell can you tax a person on a 1,400 dollar car 1,500 on a car that was reject for plates??

And this is the kind of SNAFU that makes people loathe government.

Obviously it is a SNAFU, and undoubtably it is going to be a pain in your ass trying to correct it.

My condolances

The kicker is that the car blew a rod on I-94 (expressway) and a "wrecker company" took the fucking thing before I had a chance for it to be towed (3 hrs later)...

I warned people about Illinois Corrupt Fascism before. Most other states have 8 hour tow laws but, Illinois has a 2 hour tow law.
When a vehicle is abandoned, or left unattended, on a toll highway, interstate highway, or expressway for 2 hours or more, its removal by a towing service may be authorized by a law enforcement agency having jurisdiction.

This is wrong on so many levels. First mistake was going to the exchange, but what's done is done.
A car with that many miles should have zero tax.
Good luck.

94 - is that the Dan Ryan?

Yeah its messed up..

94 is the Dan Ryan but I was on the border of Wisconsin and Illinois, It's just 94 there..

And this is the kind of SNAFU that makes people loathe government.

Obviously it is a SNAFU, and undoubtably it is going to be a pain in your ass trying to correct it.

My condolances

I'm not paying them - the car is not legally mine..

When I went to transfer the title - they rejected it - they refused to issue me an Illinois title. Hence I never was even given permanent plates...

Now they want me to pay taxes on a car they didn't even acknowledge as legit?

I suppose this is how Illinois fixes their 8 billion dollar deficit...

Forum List

Back