So, I wrecked up the Ducati pretty good...

Someone care to try and explain why some states have seatbelt laws, but they don't have body protection/helmet laws? :eek2:

Shattered said:
Someone care to try and explain why some states have seatbelt laws, but they don't have body protection/helmet laws? :eek2:

Because helmet laws are retarded. Have you seen these little "dot approved" helmets some guys wear? They look like they came from a bar mitzvah and hopped on a bike.

Helmet laws should stipulate FULL-FACE helmets...but if we really want to protect people we'd have riding-gear laws. :-/

dmp said:
Because helmet laws are retarded. Have you seen these little "dot approved" helmets some guys wear? They look like they came from a bar mitzvah and hopped on a bike.

Helmet laws should stipulate FULL-FACE helmets...but if we really want to protect people we'd have riding-gear laws. :-/
No, we'd BAN motorcycles from public roads. Problems solved. :dev3:

dmp said:

I agree with the last part of your statement 100%.. I think I bitched about it in another thread.. Football player accident..

If people are too stupid to protect themselves, then they need to be protected FROM themselves.

I am opposed to mandatory helmet laws, for the same reason I'm opposed to mandatory seatbelt laws: not because the use of helmets/seatbelts isn't smart (it is), but because if people are stupid enough to go out without seatbelts/helmets, it should be their responsibility.

5stringJeff said:
I am opposed to mandatory helmet laws, for the same reason I'm opposed to mandatory seatbelt laws: not because the use of helmets/seatbelts isn't smart (it is), but because if people are stupid enough to go out without seatbelts/helmets, it should be their responsibility.

What I find utterly ridiculous is mandatory seatbelt laws in one state, yet that same state has an "optional" helmet law.. WTF... If either of those two should be optional, it should be the seatbelt, since you're somewhat safer in a car than you are on a motorcycle.

Edit: Maybe not "safer", but better protected.

Shattered said:
What I find utterly ridiculous is mandatory seatbelt laws in one state, yet that same state has an "optional" helmet law.. WTF... If either of those two should be optional, it should be the seatbelt, since you're somewhat safer in a car than you are on a motorcycle.

Edit: Maybe not "safer", but better protected.

Now I will agree with you about that.

Shattered said:

46 states have helmet laws. Those that do not usually consider the neck injuries that helmets often cause. There is a trade off in safety and peripheral vision... Personally I would never, ever ride without a helmet. I'd rather have a hurt neck than no brain activity because I was stooopid...

wife used to be an emt in hawaii....picked up a girl in a 2 wheel car crash...she was wearing a helmet......found one foot in one flip flop....another foot in her other flip flop....she had no nipples.....found her head in her helmet 100 meters away from her nipples.....got that story on our first date

manu1959 said:
wife used to be an emt in hawaii....picked up a girl in a 2 wheel car crash...she was wearing a helmet......found one foot in one flip flop....another foot in her other flip flop....she had no nipples.....found her head in her helmet 100 meters away from her nipples.....got that story on our first date

The secondmost reason of death from a motorcycle accident is infection from the road rash...

We've gone to scenes where we couldn't tell the sex of the person in an accident. People think they can ride superfast on our roads because there aren't so many cars. But they forget that there is a ton if small rock gravel that gets on the roads and helps them find the road and test the abrasion level of their skin! Once one guy had a flapping face... Had to get that thing sewed back on!

no1tovote4 said:
46 states have helmet laws. Those that do not usually consider the neck injuries that helmets often cause. There is a trade off in safety and peripheral vision... Personally I would never, ever ride without a helmet. I'd rather have a hurt neck than no brain activity because I was stooopid...

I grew up in Wisconsin. I rode in two very large helmet protest rides, the last of which was estimated 100,000 people, and something between 50,000 and 75,000 motorcycles. That's the way you get a helmet law repealed. So I grew up doing most of my riding without a helmet. Many, many miles.

But now, since the last two states I've riden in have had mandatory helmets laws, I think I'd feal naked if I didn't wear one. It would also be dumb, with the way people drive around here, I'd wear one even given a choice.

Forum List

Back