So, I wrecked up the Ducati pretty good...

no1tovote4

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2004
Colorado
I was in a hurry to get to a friend's and some lady cut me off. Instead of a controlled emergency stop I did what I'll call a "Panic Stop", locked up the back wheel, it drifted to the right... I overcompensated the front wheel then snapped to the right, I went flying...

I somehow had enough brains in me to make sure the pads on my jacket landed first. I slid about 10 feet along the ground, I have a couple holes in my jeans a patch of road rash about the size of a quater and a nervous twitch to show for it. I'll need a new jacket and pair of jeans.

As for the bike. The breakaway pegs, of course, broke off. My right front turn signal's cover broke. My front brake lever broke off, my rear brake pedal is bent down... Some minor scratches on the paint on the front fender and one of my saddle bags will need to be replaced....

Crap.

no1tovote4 said:
I was in a hurry to get to a friend's and some lady cut me off. Instead of a controlled emergency stop I did what I'll call a "Panic Stop", locked up the back wheel, it drifted to the right... I overcompensated the front wheel then snapped to the right, I went flying...

I somehow had enough brains in me to make sure the pads on my jacket landed first. I slid about 10 feet along the ground, I have a couple holes in my jeans a patch of road rash about the size of a quater and a nervous twitch to show for it. I'll need a new jacket and pair of jeans.

As for the bike. The breakaway pegs, of course, broke off. My right front turn signal's cover broke. My front brake lever broke off, my rear brake pedal is bent down... Some minor scratches on the paint on the front fender and one of my saddle bags will need to be replaced....

Crap.
Fix it, then sell it.:)
Glad you're ok.

no1tovote4 said:

Crap.

Wow, glad you made it more or less in one piece!

no1tovote4 said:

Crap.

Did you get the name or license plate number of the lady that cut you off? Sue the ass off her.

no1tovote4 said:

Crap.

That totally sucks. Glad you're ok, maybe take P's advise?

Glad you're still with us No1!
Funny, I was just talking last night to a couple of girls I know, who recently bought Harleys, and the dangers of the drivers they share the road with, they are encountering.

Yeah, sometimes they are dangerous. I am keeping the bike though, fixing it back up... taking it back out to a nice big parking lot and practicing some emergency stops and counter-steering until it is second nature...

I have actually had worse accidents on my bicycle when I was a kid. I am more upset about the damage to the bike...

And no, I didn't get that lady's license plate. She cut me off and stopped then immediately left after I hit the ground....

no1tovote4 said:
Yeah, sometimes they are dangerous. I am keeping the bike though, fixing it back up... taking it back out to a nice big parking lot and practicing some emergency stops and counter-steering until it is second nature...

I have actually had worse accidents on my bicycle when I was a kid. I am more upset about the damage to the bike...

And no, I didn't get that lady's license plate. She cut me off and stopped then immediately left after I hit the ground....
But now you be a daddy...Nothing else matters, Sell it.:)

no1tovote4 said:

Crap.
Wow. I kid you not the exact same thing happened to a guy in Bethesda MD last week. Same bike, same cause of accident, same result, damage-wise. Not a good Ducati-karma week, I guess, eh?

Glad to see that you're OK. Go get yourself some leather pants for lower body protection, though.

(This is where Darin gets on his full-body armor protection soapbox... :) )

Joz said:
Glad you're still with us No1!
Funny, I was just talking last night to a couple of girls I know, who recently bought Harleys, and the dangers of the drivers they share the road with, they are encountering.

Yeah there's barely a ride I take that I don't encounter some idiot, that if I wasn't being vigil, it would result in an accident. So my riding changes with every surrounding. Sometimes I'm really agressive, other times, very deffensive. People don't see bikers. At least that's what they say, so you have to ride like you're invisible.

I CRINGE every time I see someone on a bike wearing shorts, or a short sleaved shirt, or both. Especially the shorts. And more times than not, it's a younger person on a sport bike.

Pale Rider said:
Yeah there's barely a ride I take that I don't encounter some idiot, that if I wasn't being vigil, it would result in an accident. So my riding changes with every surrounding. Sometimes I'm really agressive, other times, very deffensive. People don't see bikers. At least that's what they say, so you have to ride like you're invisible.

I CRINGE every time I see someone on a bike wearing shorts, or a short sleaved shirt, or both. Especially the shorts. And more times than not, it's a younger person on a sport bike.

Yeah, had I been paying the correct attention to my driving I never would have had this issue. First I should have steered out instead of attempting to brake it. Secondly, had I been riding as I normally do (no brain distraction) I would have slowed and went behind the lady...

dmp said:
Brother - WHY ARE YOU ONLY WEARING JEANS to protect you? :( :-/

quarter-sized rash; Thank GOD it's not worse. :(

Yeah... I looked at the pants just before leaving... Stooopid..

The ClayTaurus said:
Wow. I kid you not the exact same thing happened to a guy in Bethesda MD last week. Same bike, same cause of accident, same result, damage-wise. Not a good Ducati-karma week, I guess, eh?

It's actually the most prevalent type of accident out there...

Glad you're ok. I grew up on the back of an old BSA...was huge fun. But a good friend of ours got nailed by a cab a few years back. Problem with motorcycles is there's no room for error.

Stay safe.

no1tovote4 said:
It's actually the most prevalent type of accident out there...
In the case of this guy, the woman pulled out of a parking lot and then just idled the 7-800 feet to the stop light. Needless to say, the biker was expecting at least a modicum of acceleration, and instead wound up on his ass with the bike in her trunk. Witnesses said the woman didn't even look when she pulled out, would be interesting to find out who got blamed for the accident.

Mr. P said:
But now you be a daddy...Nothing else matters, Sell it.:)

I'm with you P. Sold my last one when my son was born. I just got too tired of being a target and felt my son deserved a Dad. I know--no guarantees in this world but there is such a thing as playing the odds.

dilloduck said:
I'm with you P. Sold my last one when my son was born. I just got too tired of being a target and felt my son deserved a Dad. I know--no guarantees in this world but there is such a thing as playing the odds.
Yep...and the odds ain't good, when ya concider what's a stake.

Forum List

Back