So I was considering buying a tablet. Any advice?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
I bought a nook but it's very limited. I bought a Samsung Galaxy2 at their launch but returned it cause the keyboard didn't function properly.

It would mainly be used as a portfolio when I do estimates and of course for posting on here and surfing the web.

Any feedback on tablets you use and their pros and cons would be much appreciated.

Walmart has some for around $300. Acer or whatever brand.

If you're just using it for a little play time and to document estimates then how much do you really need out of it?

I don't get the ipad craze. I think it's more of just a brand favoritism thing. Buy a regular ass tablet for $300 and enjoy it. It's not like it's going to blow up in your hands just because it only cost $300 and not 7 billion like an ipad.

I'm sure the tech snobs will be along eventually to explain why this is SUUUUUCH a bad idea and how WORTH IT it is to get a really expensive one :rolleyes:

• Banned
Walmart has some for around $300. Acer or whatever brand.

If you're just using it for a little play time and to document estimates then how much do you really need out of it?

I don't get the ipad craze. I think it's more of just a brand favoritism thing. Buy a regular ass tablet for $300 and enjoy it. It's not like it's going to blow up in your hands just because it only cost $300 and not 7 billion like an ipad.

I'm sure the tech snobs will be along eventually to explain why this is SUUUUUCH a bad idea and how WORTH IT it is to get a really expensive one :rolleyes:

When it comes to technology I have started shying away from the cheaper stuff. Last year I bought an Acer lap top for this purpose and in about 45 days it was so slow and constantly locked up I was furious. After several trips to Best Buy and no resolution I took matters into my own hands. And it was the most therapeutic thing I can remember in years. I came home after the last attempt to get it resolved and took the thing out in the driveway. I smashed it into as many pieces as I could and put it back in the box. Waited a couple days and walked into Best Buy, asked for the mgr and explained to him why I would no longer be shopping there as I handed him the box. He opened the box and the look on his face was priceless. He started to say he couldn't help me anymore but I just smiled and walked away.

Most of the accessories, covers and such... are sized for ipads.

Oh give me a break. My business partner just bought the cheapo $300 Acer from walmart and got a nice little vinyl cover that doubles as a stand, for $10.

Oh give me a break. My business partner just bought the cheapo $300 Acer from walmart and got a nice little vinyl cover that doubles as a stand, for $10.

I did not say they don't have accessories for other tablets... Most of the nicer stuff is only for ipads.

I did not say they don't have accessories for other tablets... Most of the nicer stuff is only for ipads.

Electronic accessories fit anything, so if you're only talking about aesthetic accessories, that's just not a big enough reason to spend a million dollars on an ipad. Only women care about their cute little covers anyway. This is just a blue collar guy looking for something practical.

Electronic accessories fit anything, so if you're only talking about aesthetic accessories, that's just not a big enough reason to spend a million dolla rs on an ipad. Only women care about their cute little covers anyway. This is just a blue collar guy looking for something practical.

LOL... the cover case for the kindle fire cost almost as much as the kindle fire...... :tongue:

I like the I-pad. Why bother with the knock-offs? If $200 is going to change your life, why by a tablet at all? I've never regretting paying too much for something, but I have almost always regretted paying too little......

I like the I-pad. Why bother with the knock-offs? If $200 is going to change your life, why by a tablet at all? I've never regretting paying too much for something, but I have almost always regretted paying too little......

I agree.

Asus Transformer TF201 Prime (quad core with Nvidia Tegra graphics)

Eee Pad | Transformer Prime

I'm waiting for the release of this with windows 8.

ASUS-Transformer-Prime-TF201.jpg

I've been debating samsung galaxy. Apples are just too trendy for me.

I bought a Galaxy for more or less that reason. Sad to say, I'd recommend the Apple at this point. Samsung actually has a slight edge in terms of hardware stats - but Apple's obsessive control over the apps pays dividends. Every time I've played with an iPad it was notably snappier and more responsive than my Galaxy. Could be just the apps I've installed, but the iPad stuff just seems a lot more polished at this point in time.

Forum List

Back