So, how was work today?

Don't ask!

And what ever you do, don't remind me that I have to go to work tomorrow!

Immie

Was it everything you dreamt about, and more?

Oh my!

School assembly this a.m., 9:30. Dr. Exhautus and Mr. Gluem & Mrs. Deum. Seriously. Even the kindergarden kids spew 'carbon dioxide' is wrecking the earth. One little kid said the 'earth will probably be dead before she's grown up.' In fairness to the presenter, he deviated and said, 'Actually the environment is in much better shape in the US than 40 years ago....' I think even he was a bit taken aback.

On the other side, the middle schoolers were polite but not buying into it. After the hour and 20 minute assembly, back in the classroom, they were discussing how the economy and terrorism are more important issues. They do believe in recycling, buying less, (though they buy more than a little, ;) ), and not tossing unwanted, but good items. They donate, etc. They are aware of wasting electricity, but think the hype that 'we're not doing anything to reverse a catastrophe' is overblown. Note: I do NOT teach science.

After a bit of their venting, we got back to watching the holocaust witness/remembrance project from Yale. One of my students had visited the Auschwitz Museum and brought in the tour book. It's been an exhausting day.

The 6-8 graders were all involved with the Holocaust videos, we've been viewing for 2 days. I forgot that when 8th graders were coming into 7th grade, I had them read, Night by Elie Weisel. We've just finished WWI and started the 20's where I discuss the problems from Versailles Treaty, man did they have the questions, commentary, analysis. The only time I've had this kind of reaction from a class was in 2001, when my 7th graders were finishing up WWII at the same time the Taliban/bin Laden were threatening, and later blew up the Buddha images in Afghanistan, that was in May. They wrote to the Secretary of State that we should 'do something' about the destruction of our history. Needless to say, when 9/11 happened, they immediately, indeed quicker than I, with the first plane said, "bin Laden."

We are indeed living in interesting times.

Last edited:
This entire week has gone so smoothly, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop..

Scarey.

How did you know I was dreaming about work last night?
I think I got about the same amount accomplished in both my dream and my actual work today.

Sunglasses at work come come in handy, eh?

I spent most of the day teaching a programmer how to do his job, instead of doing my job, which is to test the results his work.

Kinda like my day yesterday, redoing the work of someone else ... bah!

But ... that's what I get paid for most of the time. Correcting the mistakes of the overpriced "professionals".

lets see......reviewed first quarter numbers.....not good.....reviewed forcasts for next quarter....not good......reviewed buy out terms for one of our partners.....not good.....met with a client ....they gave us more work.....that was good.....reviewed progress on a new mixed use project.....staff is creating amazing stuff......left early and took my daughter to swimming....came home hugged and kissed my wife....

it is all good.....

lets see......reviewed first quarter numbers.....not good.....reviewed forcasts for next quarter....not good......reviewed buy out terms for one of our partners.....not good.....met with a client ....they gave us more work.....that was good.....reviewed progress on a new mixed use project.....staff is creating amazing stuff......left early and took my daughter to swimming....came home hugged and kissed my wife....

it is all good.....

That sounds like a near excellent day, in these times. Your priorities are spot on.

it is all good.....

That sounds like a near excellent day, in these times. Your priorities are spot on.

my new phrase is "flat is the new up......"

Sunglasses at work come come in handy, eh?

I spent most of the day teaching a programmer how to do his job, instead of doing my job, which is to test the results his work.

But ... that's what I get paid for most of the time. Correcting the mistakes of the overpriced "professionals".

These guys and gals have been "re-doing" their own work for 3 months now. I keep finding defects. Every time they fix one thing, they break something else.
It's funny in a way, I have no formal education in programming or IT work, but somehow I can find all the flaws in their work.
But, after spending over 20 years working in warehouses, I love working in IT now. I still can't figure out how I bullshitted my way into this job without any experience or education in the field, but it pays good and I like it, so I'm keeping it.

These guys and gals have been "re-doing" their own work for 3 months now. I keep finding defects. Every time they fix one thing, they break something else.
It's funny in a way, I have no formal education in programming or IT work, but somehow I can find all the flaws in their work.
But, after spending over 20 years working in warehouses, I love working in IT now. I still can't figure out how I bullshitted my way into this job without any experience or education in the field, but it pays good and I like it, so I'm keeping it.

The only way to be a good trouble shooter is to have many many years of real experience in the area you are trouble shooting. A lot of the newer programmers don't take the time to trouble shoot as they code, so they wind up with a ton of errors at the end and have to trace each one, and when you fix one error often there are a few more that appear because of the fix. Use to be all programmers did the write-compile-test method, now they just write-compile-pray.

New Topics

Forum List

Back